Hotone Ampero II Stage (MP-380)

I think sub 10ms latency is perfectly fine for most people who are running this and only this. If you're trying to implement this into a pedalboard with a bunch of other digital pedals that introduce latency, that could be problematic.

Whenever I gigged the Ampero II Stomp, I always just ran straight out of it to FoH, and I never felt like the latency was anything crazy.

4. Workflow. Workflow. Workflow. Hard to beat HX workflow.

Workflow on the HX Stomp (which is the one to compare to) pales in comparison to the Hotone. No touchscreen, no mobile OS editor, awkward parameter order.

Edit. 6. Latency.

Do we know about that, yet? Hotone has improved the older models already, so they may have done it better on this from the start.

Workflow on the HX Stomp (which is the one to compare to) pales in comparison to the Hotone. No touchscreen, no mobile OS editor, awkward parameter order.

Do we know about that, yet? Hotone has improved the older models already, so they may have done it better on this from the start.
We still don´t really know, but the unit just seems to be an Ampero Stomp (with some cool extras... bigger screen, wireless or mic preamp). If that ends up being so, the latency will be the worst of all modelers (with exception of some low end units). This doesn´t mean it´s an unuseable latency... it just means it´s the worst, and that could cause problems when integrating other digital effects. Not a big deal for some, but a problem for others.

We´ll see the real values when someone (Leo?) does them.

Last edited:
Not a big deal for some, but a problem for others.

Latency sometimes is a huge issue for me as there's situations when I'm pretty much forced to get away with whatever kind of "nested" digital devices.
In case it's not an issue here, this thing might be the goldilocks item I could use for a project possibly coming up in fall/winter. The HX Stomp requires adding too many other things, with this here I'd likely get away with one single device while still being gigbag friendly, which is something I want for that very project.

Does anyone know if editing on the device updates in real-time on the desktop editor?
The A2Stomp basically pauses the editor when it detects a change on the device.

I watched this earlier. I thought the QC leaned a little brighter, which tends to also sound better to our ears. However, within that brightness, it did seem like the QC also had more detail (tbf, it’s possible I was being fooled by the brighter tone). Regardless, Hotone still sounded good too, and Michael highlighted the greater variety of FX which is a good shout for them.

I watched this earlier. I thought the QC leaned a little brighter, which tends to also sound better to our ears. However, within that brightness, it did seem like the QC also had more detail (tbf, it’s possible I was being fooled by the brighter tone). Regardless, Hotone still sounded good too, and Michael highlighted the greater variety of FX which is a good shout for them.
I agree. I'm also not sure if the QC wasn't recorded with a slightly higher volume? That would also make ít sound "better" to our ears. Or that may just have been down to the increased brightness, as you say. I don't own any of these devices and while I would be perfectly happy using the Ampero, for the Marshall sound I greatly preferred the QC. For the SLO I actually liked the Ampero more but that was mostly down to the fact that the QC seemed to be dialed in with a little more gain which didn't really complement that particular sound.

Ampero is a great option, but I find two little details that put me off.

One is the latency issue that Hotone has in all their units. Ok, that´s not a problem if you don´t pair the unit with other digital pedals... but anyway, it´s better to not have that issue, isn´t it?

The other one is that Hotone is not on par to the big names when it comes to updating and improving their hardware. I don´t know, at the end of the day We´re talking about almost 700€ (ok, aliexpress gives it to you for 530€, but anyway...). That´s already a good amount of money.

I´d add to that two details a third one: the lack of profiling (that mic input makes me hope for a built-in profiling option, alas Kemper or QC, but again... Hotone is not great updating things).

Ampero Stage just got the Henning treatment.

First time i've seen the UI in action, and... it looks weird, to be honest. I'm not a big fan of the cursor-based navigation on this device.

First time i've seen the UI in action, and... it looks weird, to be honest. I'm not a big fan of the cursor-based navigation on this device.
Cursor based? What do you mean?
Seems pretty standard and straightforward, not unlike others on the market.

Ampero Stage just got the Henning treatment.

It's a touchscreen and the cursor by turning the knob can be used optionally, like it might be easier for scrolling lists for example. I think it's a good secondary operation mode to go with the touchscreen.

Cursor based? What do you mean?
Seems pretty standard and straightforward, not unlike others on the market.
It's a touchscreen and the cursor by turning the knob can be used optionally, like it might be easier for scrolling lists for example. I think it's a good secondary operation mode to go with the touchscreen.

It's the main operation mode; you can see the cursor popping up when the screen is touched as well. It's similar in essence to how PC touchscreens emulate mouse pointers.

It's the main operation mode; you can see the cursor popping up when the screen is touched as well. It's similar in essence to how PC touchscreens emulate mouse pointers.
You mean the little "rectangle" markers around the blocks?
Some may not like how that looks, but I don't think there's anything that weird about it. Just another way of indicating what's selected.

Back