Hotone Ampero II Stage (MP-380)

Both Ampero and Ampero II use Analog Devices SHARC DSPs for sure (ADSP-21489 and ADSP-21573, respectively). The ESS Sabre's are the AD/DAs for the entire line.
So would that be the same as the HX Sharc or is it slightly more powerful ?

So would that be the same as the HX Sharc or is it slightly more powerful ?

They're all about the same. Helix uses ADSP-21469 (2x for Helix / Helix Rack / Helix LT) which is very similar to ADSP-21489. The ADSP-21573 used in the Ampero II is a dual DSP chip, with slightly higher clockspeed too.

Just downloaded the app for fun on lunch , you can browse around without being connected in a limited fashion , it looks fairly easy to navigate and decently laid out

HX Stomp's latency is 1.17ms, not 6ms.
Just curious, these numbers on all units are affected by the complexity of the preset, correct? How were these original numbers derived? Simple amp + cab? Regardless, sub 2ms is extremely impressive.

HX Stomp's latency is 1.17ms,

Fwiw, HX Stomp, completely empty preset, no input gate, no input pad: 68 samples @ 44.1kHz, so something like 1.54ms.

I just measured it some days ago - still pretty good, especially as amps and cabs only add very little.

Cali IV Rhythm I /w cab (both at Line 6 defaults) adds 15 samples (at 44.1), so that's 0.34ms for that block. Just the amp is adding 9 samples (0.2ms), cab block on its own is adding 9 as well, so in case you're using an amp&cab block you seem to be saving 2-3 samples of latency - not worth even talking about, possibly not even in case you're Steve Vai.

They're all about the same. Helix uses ADSP-21469 (2x for Helix / Helix Rack / Helix LT) which is very similar to ADSP-21489. The ADSP-21573 used in the Ampero II is a dual DSP chip, with slightly higher clockspeed too.
but....Helix is going on what 8-9 yrs now...the stomp2 stage just came out...interesting

Looks great. The Hotone stuff always has random, substantial price drops. I think I'll grab one of these when that happens. I've been very happy with my Ampero Stomp II, despite its quirks and lack of groundbreaking firmware updates.

Yeah, this is pretty hard to beat at the price range. Maybe Mooer GE300. Is it 300, the "Helix killer"?
Someone made a pretty good comment on FB
They said everything that people wanted from Line6
Ampero did

Touch screen / but still edit knob if prefer that
IOS app
Blue tooth
And from the tones it’s gets in the ballpark if not matches the amp models Helix has
It also has a lot more models
Price

Only place Helix might be better on paper is some of the fx

Someone made a pretty good comment on FB
They said everything that people wanted from Line6
Ampero did

Touch screen / but still edit knob if prefer that
IOS app
Blue tooth
And from the tones it’s gets in the ballpark if not matches the amp models Helix has
It also has a lot more models
Price

Helix is much better in latency. It can be a problem when integrating with external effects and fx loop.

I can think of some other areas.

1. Direct channel/support/ears from the top guns of L6 HX (Eric Klein, Ben and others from the sound design team even)

2. Effects (for sure, hands down)

3. Update quality and update frequency

4. Workflow. Workflow. Workflow. Hard to beat HX workflow.

5. Documentation, user base.

Edit. 6. Latency.

7. Ecosystem. HX Native.

I can think of some other areas.

1. Direct channel/support/ears from the top guns of L6 HX (Eric Klein, Ben and others from the sound design team even)

2. Effects (for sure, hands down)

3. Update quality and update frequency

4. Workflow. Workflow. Workflow. Hard to beat HX workflow.

5. Documentation, user base.

Edit. 6. Latency.
7. Ecosystem... HX native.

Yes BIG one. Lots of people underestimate or don't realize the power and breadth of this one item.
Yeah... I'm not trying to say the Ampero is bad. On the contrary, I think it's becoming a very good product. But hey, Helix is still a much more developed, solid, rounded and (massively) supported platform.

The Stage has some good things that the HX Stomp doesn't, though. And that could better match some users needs. For instance, big screen (better visibility... Which is a deal breaker for my old eyes, actually), Bluetooth, or mic preamp. For me, the preamp could be a winner point IF it's there because of future profiling implementation.

Back