Fractal Talk

It’s a great looking design but where does it fit in ?
The FM3 is 1099 , the FM9
1699 , so where do you put this 1499? Does it have the power of an FM3 turbo just more switches ? Or the power of an FM9 turbo just less Switches ?
FM9 Turbo power or GTFO!

Touch Screen?

not_sure_if_serious.jpg

FM5_TOUCH!!!!.jpg

I've put out the idea of a "DSP and I/O" brain box + peripherals out a few times.

Footswitching is the easiest thing to expand on any modeler. Can be done via MIDI controllers, or even better with official footswitch units like Fractal FC6/12 or Helix Control where two-way sync is possible. This works fine.

Yeah the entire device offering structure of smaller = less powerful, assumes people that want full powered devices also want large footprints and a million foot switches. If you eliminate the foot switches entirely then people can buy the FC that matches their needs. (Or allow them to ignore foot-switches entirely)

Nobody likes editing purely from a phone or tablet, that sucks compared to spinning a bunch of real knobs.

Using Axe/FM Edit is so embedded in to the experience of using FAS devices that I’m not sure we can say spinning real knobs is in fact better currently, or that it’s even the primary means of interacting with the device for most.

If any platform could go completely FS and UI-less it would be FAS. They already have the integrated foot controllers, and they have a population largely using editors. (Needs a tablet editor though)

Im not arguing against physical controls and onboard UI, just going a step further in the “separate-the footswitches-from-the-brains” chat. That said, I do think the space will continue to trend towards more editor and app based controls, and eventually someone will have a category of device that is just that, a box with IO and some basic level controls.

Last edited:
The trad setup would be reverb -> amp -> cab.
But since there's not tremolo in the amp block on the FM3 the true trad setup would be:
reverb -> trem -> amp -> cab
But then you think about how many traditional players used this trad setup with an magnetic slap delay in front, so the trad setup becomes:
delay -> verb -> trem -> amp -> cab
And you start to realize that this trad sound is even better when you can add the console and/or tape saturation that was also kind of part-and-parcel to those vintage sounds...

The simple preset quickly grows VERY CPU hungry.

The simple solution would be to throw an Axe FX in the FM3s loop. Problem solved…

:pickle

On modelers I need to page back and forth, tweak one thing, page again, tweak, page again. You don't even have visibility to what these different params were set at unless until you page or just keep track of them in your head. More expansive performance pages could really help with this.
Yep. I'd love to see them come up with a way to have multiple pages of AE open at the same time, just for this reason. (And I've asked.)

Huge shout out to The Fractal Wiki - its a gold Mine !!!

Close to finishing dialling in my FM3 Pre-sets, and very unexpectedly, I was having trouble with both the Dirty Shirley models.

The tone and drive was great ..... but no matter what I did - pre-amp-block-eq-cuts or post-amp-block-eq-cuts .... it had this really subtle but very unpleasant "thud" ..... really noticeable when palm-muting.

As a last go, I went to the Fractal Wiki for this Amp and found the following from Cliff:-

" .... If you want more clarity in the low mids ..... reduce Negative Feedback. Friedman's designs are a bit odd in that he takes the feedback off the speaker jack rather than off a transformer tap ..... the amp will sound tighter and clearer in the low mids .... "

Go figure ... dropping the NFB from the stock ~ 4.8 to ~3.0 ..... totally solved my problem.

Anyway ... just highlighting how good and useful the F/Wiki is.

All the best,
Ben

Huge shout out to The Fractal Wiki - its a gold Mine !!!

Close to finishing dialling in my FM3 Pre-sets, and very unexpectedly, I was having trouble with both the Dirty Shirley models.

The tone and drive was great ..... but no matter what I did - pre-amp-block-eq-cuts or post-amp-block-eq-cuts .... it had this really subtle but very unpleasant "thud" ..... really noticeable when palm-muting.

As a last go, I went to the Fractal Wiki for this Amp and found the following from Cliff:-

" .... If you want more clarity in the low mids ..... reduce Negative Feedback. Friedman's designs are a bit odd in that he takes the feedback off the speaker jack rather than off a transformer tap ..... the amp will sound tighter and clearer in the low mids .... "

Go figure ... dropping the NFB from the stock ~ 4.8 to ~3.0 ..... totally solved my problem.

Anyway ... just highlighting how good and useful the F/Wiki is.

All the best,
Ben
That would be @yek’s work. He’s our unsung hero and deserves a lot more recognition!

Back