What's Your Dream Amp? - TGF Edition

I'm gonna move the V:25 and have been e-window shopping hard the past couple days. Not necessarily a dream amp but an entirely new flavor that will help with exploring everything the new guitar and Mule pickups can do. The KSR really has the high gain thing covered - it's SLO meets Mark. The one that's really stuck in the head right now is a brownface Fender deluxe clone. The Mesa Lonestar thread got it started - it's probably the most LP style guitar friendly Fender amp Leo ever made - just ask Billy Gibbons.

Word has it the first 3 albums was all LP > Brownface cranked. Keep going back to look at one of these.

1703180112139.png

Last edited:
They love to be cranked -- throw some humbuckers and a boost at 'em and :chef.

The Suhr is only 18 watts so between that and the power load it'd be on 10 full time - and the BareKnuckle Mules have supplanted Lollar Imperials as my favorite PAF bucker. I've never spent so much time with my pinky riding the volume controls before. Between the 4 knobs and 3 way selector there's a billion tones in this sucker.

Last edited:
Hahahaha I still V all my Mark EQ’s :roflMinus the low end, I usually drop that quite a bit.

It's a freaking disease man! It's highly contagious. And yes, there is help for this.

:hugitout

:LOL:

I think it is really enlightening to see how Papa Het had his Mark GEQ set back then. Most of them
are essentially acting as post-EQ cuts and not boosts. Much like what a Producer or Mixing Engineer
would do. :idk

My very first amp build was a Brownface Princeton 6G2 circuit.

Couples questions for ya.
1. Do know the differences between the 6G2 and 6G3 circuits tone-wise?
2. Ever heard of these guys? They offer a BUNCH of different circuit options.

Couples questions for ya.
1. Do know the differences between the 6G2 and 6G3 circuits tone-wise?
2. Ever heard of these guys? They offer a BUNCH of different circuit options.

Well, channels can be jumpered on the 6G3 so you can push the signal more. Both amps are fixed biased, 6V6s.
Main differences--
Phase Inverter: 6G3 has the LTP type which offers more gain to hit the power tubes. Most amps use this type.
6G2 has the Cathodyne PI which can distort nicely when pushed.
Rectifier: 6G3 - GZ34 (less amount of sag), 6G2 - 5Y3GT (more sag)

The Deluxe will get you more distortion (and be louder) where the Princeton would need a boost to get to that level and have more sag on the back end.

Back