What's Your Dream Amp? - TGF Edition

quite hard because I think in all honesty I own the amps I dreamed of growing up. I suppose now its not even so much how they sound, its because they're hard to find or expensive:

- Langner modded Marshall
1703158404644.png

- Gower modded Marshall
1703158382861.png

- Wizard MCII/MTL

1703158278450.png

- Friedman Naked
1703157814214.png

Pretty content with the fact that I know I can live without those, I don't think I'm that desperate. If money wasn't a thing, I'd still pick a 2203/Uberschall/Rectifier/5150 over those.

Last edited:
quite hard because I think in all honesty I own the amps I dreamed of growing up. I suppose now its not even so much how they sound, its because they're hard to find or expensive:

- Langner modded Marshall
View attachment 16159
- Gower modded Marshall
View attachment 16157
- Wizard MCII/MTL

View attachment 16156
- Friedman Naked
View attachment 16155

Pretty content with the fact that I know I can live without those, I don't think I'm that desperate. If money wasn't a thing, I'd still pick a 2203/Uberschall/Rectifier/5150 over those.
Think I'm now in about the same position tbh as far as amps go.

In between my Ceriatone heads and the Synergy/Salvation gear I have (not to mention plugins / digital gear), I don't find myself wanting for another amp.
...I am GAS-ing for a Bogner 4x12 front-loaded cab though :sofa

My dream amp is my Rivera Knucklehead Reverb and Fryette Deliverance 120 full stacks running together at concert volume.

Can't imaging being happier.

I don't really have a dream amp that I'd like to buy. I have found that I like enough different ones that without modelers I'd probably have dedicated Fender, Vox and Marshall based rigs taking space.

Of the ones I owned, I think the Bogner Goldfinger 45 Superlead got pretty close.

1703158784877.png

I originally bought the 1x12 combo because it would have taken several months to get the head. I don't know if Bogner was hiding gold bullion in that combo chassis but it was as heavy as a Fender Super Reverb! So I took it apart, and built a headshell for it out of paulownia which reduced it to a svelte ~15 kg - nearly 5 kg less than the official plywood headshell.

I liked that it was kind of like a Fender Super Reverb, Marshall Superlead, JCM800 and Bogner Shiva all rolled into one depending on how you set the controls, switches etc. I liked that it did not need to be cranked to sound great, in fact it sounded worse like that.

I didn't like the splashy long tank spring reverb, having the boost controls in the back, or using a 7-pin DIN footswitch control instead of MIDI. I didn't like how you needed to adjust the volume on the OD channel depending on which of the 3 modes you set. The '81 mode got much more compressed and needed the most volume compensation. I mostly parked it on the '77 mode and used the boost for higher gain.

I sold mine because my BluGuitar Amp 1 ME can do those same tones in a fraction of the size, weight and cost, plus lower noise floor. I had a buyer lined up who was interested in the Bogner and boutique amps can be hard to sell if you want something different.

I do miss the clean channel with dedicated EQ though, that sounded better than the BluGuitar clean. That might lead me to get the BluGuitar Amp X since it rectifies that.

I want Randy Smith and Thomas Blug to get into a room, and design me an amp with 100-200 watts, that's got three channels:

1. Three modes of the Badlander
  2. Three modes of the Fillmore
  3. Three modes on Ch.3 of the Mark VII
In a box with the foot print of a lunchbox. Tube preamp, into a miniature tube power section (12BH7?) into a miniature reactive load, reamped with the class D power amp.

I want Randy Smith and Thomas Blug to get into a room, and design me an amp with 100-200 watts, that's got three channels:

1. Three modes of the Badlander
  2. Three modes of the Fillmore
  3. Three modes on Ch.3 of the Mark VII
In a box with the foot print of a lunchbox. Tube preamp, into a miniature tube power section (12BH7?) into a miniature reactive load, reamped with the class D power amp.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Back