Leon Todd

Just caught the TC1210 video. :chef That’s the sound.

New goal in life is to rack a 1210+Elkorus with the Axe.

Gday M8, ran into one of your older vids/post about amp blending
was wondering if you have a patch for the Atomica/Uber amp blend, sounds killer

Cheers

Last edited:
@Stone that patch was pre-Cygnus (maybe firmware 5ish?) so it sounds a bit off now. Here are the settings for each amp anyway if you want to use them as a starting point.

Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 12.41.15 pm.png
Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 12.41.23 pm.png

The Uber has the T808 engaged in the boost section and was run into a V30 cab IR while the Atomica was run into a greenback IR. We took the output of the Axe-Fx and ran it through some API mic pre's and the final guitar tracks have a bunch of post production sauce on them, but the overall idea is "tight high gain thing plus midrangey Marshall thing, blend to taste".

@Stone that patch was pre-Cygnus (maybe firmware 5ish?) so it sounds a bit off now. Here are the settings for each amp anyway if you want to use them as a starting point.

View attachment 16474View attachment 16475

The Uber has the T808 engaged in the boost section and was run into a V30 cab IR while the Atomica was run into a greenback IR. We took the output of the Axe-Fx and ran it through some API mic pre's and the final guitar tracks have a bunch of post production sauce on them, but the overall idea is "tight high gain thing plus midrangey Marshall thing, blend to taste".
Thanks Leon, good starting point

(y)

Good evening legend!

I'm contemplaiting getting some 300-700€ preamp which has a huge 80's rock sound. Just for the dirty sound. There are a few to consider, ada mp-1, jmp1, piranaha, rockmaster..you get the picture. Which of these would be no1 to get, OR would it be better to get myasnikov superlead(or some other his preamps), friedman ir-x, maybe synergy and a fryette or slo100? I know soldano and mesa made great preamps but triaxis or studio preamp usually are around 1000€ or more. Or what about H&K access, Michael had that in one of his videos and it sounded great. I asked more or less the same thing from Nielsen, so lets hear your take on this!

As much as I enjoy old stuff like the MP-1 a BIG part of the initial appeal was that they could be found really cheap. The current prices they command are ridiculous (I know I'm to blame here) and outside of being a collector I don't think I could justify them.

If you're not tied to it being rackmounted, the IR-X sounds great as a standalone preamp into a power amp, and it doubles up as a direct solution. Otherwise I'd go with Synergy stuff every day of the week. The Deliverance is a great all around rock/metal module and the IICP, 5150 and Uber are all amazing high gain flavours.

As much as I enjoy old stuff like the MP-1 a BIG part of the initial appeal was that they could be found really cheap. The current prices they command are ridiculous (I know I'm to blame here) and outside of being a collector I don't think I could justify them.

If you're not tied to it being rackmounted, the IR-X sounds great as a standalone preamp into a power amp, and it doubles up as a direct solution. Otherwise I'd go with Synergy stuff every day of the week. The Deliverance is a great all around rock/metal module and the IICP, 5150 and Uber are all amazing high gain flavours.
I have heard only good things of synergy. I have been watching reverb and such if I could find SYN-1 used since they are 600€ in the europe brand new...thats why I started looking for older stuff. Old soldano and mesa stuff would be amazing to find cheap but not going to happen anytime soon.

Ir-x and driftwood preamps are the most interesting of the current products. I have used KSR Ceres and victory kraken and they do sound good. I run them to audiointerface and then to reaper where I get ir and poweramp, reverbs, eq and such and then out to yamaha HS-7. I know I would get better results with a poweramp and 2x12" but it's not possible for me just now.

I have the IRX and they did a very good job with it.
Question for you have - have you evet tried the Engl Cabloader with a preamp? it has poweramp simulation and thought it might add some different flavours just using the IRX send.
I do have an FM3 so can use the tubepre model but I do find using IRX has a different feel to the FM3.

I'm looking at the Synergy stuff but waiting to if NAMM presents any updates etc.

I have little experience with synergy but I noticed that they seem to lack headroom and sound thinner then my old rack preamps. Normal preamps seem to sound wider and just right in the mix. They are also less expensive then synergy system.

I'm a bedroom player (literally). I play through studio monitor yamaha hs7. I plug into a fm3, that goes to my laptop and daw and that to hs7. I'm considering putting preamp/syn-1 to fm3 fx loop. That way I can use fractal modelling (ok/decent), and tube preamp/synergy which I hope to be an improvment. So I'm used to things sounding "thin". I think there is no way of getting studio monitors to sound 3d and thick and juicy ☹️.

I'm a bedroom player (literally). I play through studio monitor yamaha hs7. I plug into a fm3, that goes to my laptop and daw and that to hs7. I'm considering putting preamp/syn-1 to fm3 fx loop. That way I can use fractal modelling (ok/decent), and tube preamp/synergy which I hope to be an improvment. So I'm used to things sounding "thin". I think there is no way of getting studio monitors to sound 3d and thick and juicy ☹️.
Not Leon, but have plenty of experience working with Synergy (and other tube stuff) in combination with modelers (including an FM3) and...

...there are reasons to want to use a tube pre-amp along with a modeler, but "tonal improvement", in my experience, isn't really one of them. Knobs and hardware and avoiding the rabbit hole of swapping to different amp models frequently, etc., are all benefits.

I also think running a tube preamp in the effects loop kinda misses one of the biggest benefits of running a tube preamp in conjunction with a modeler: having your guitar (or pedalboard) hit an all-analog front end that you can then gain-stage appropriately for the digital world. You can use dirt pedals, including ones with massive output, and not worry about whether or not your clipping the converters, etc., Running a tube preamp in the loop of a modeler just adds one more layer of back-of-the-mind "wait, is the digital stuff, including an unavoidable round of conversion even if I'm not using any pre-effects, depriving me of all the analog goodness?!?!?!" worry that just makes the whole expereince less fun -- and for me pretty much the entire point of running analog preamps with a modeler is...fun.

Back