Tales from.. ..The StrapLab!

Been a while since I've tooled anything, couple weeks. I can kind of tell when my left hand starts to stiffen up, I need to get at it a bit more... keep them chops up, just like fretting chords. This morning I finally got after a concept I've been ruminating about for maybe a year or so.

This is my second stab at the "Waylon" strap. There's only so many guitar straps out there I'd call "iconic," this style is definitely in the top ten, maybe top five. Definitely when it comes to skills and detail required. This particular one isn't a custom order, so it will eventually go into the store. That's why it's featuring a bit of a creative adaptation necessary for wider appeal, make it a bit more marketable

RlDLEcYw_o.jpg

I hesitate to show tooling in this stage as all the clams really stand out! But once it's all smoothed over,
dyed, decorative cuts, antiqued, buffed out and clear coated with the buckstitching, it's gonna look pretty flash!

VkJV7Tlk_o.jpg

So many tight corners to hit on those western letter outlines, and these maple leaves. Getting inside with with the bevel tool without wrecking
anything is not easy, and I'm definitely not the most skilled leather tooler, so this kind of work is really great practice for a fella like me.
Then that crazy high contrast buckstitching that comes later on... that work is really challenging, and kind of hard on the hands!

So there I was, just plugging away when suddenly, things went black!

4GenvCiD_o.jpg

Next will be to let this all set in overnight, then I'll get at what needs to be made white with the leather paint.
Going to take several coats, as white on black does take a bit extra to cover. Will continue on this next week.
Maybe over the weekend a little bit if the honey do list isn't too crazy.

Hope your list isn't too crazy and you get some chill time in my brothers!

Back