Atomic Tonocracy (Inc NAM support)

Raksha has a good Matchelss DC30 clone if you're into Matchless.

Dickjonesify has a good AC10 pack if you're into VOX. As a player I'm usually not, but I like this one.

Last edited:
Fwiw, that NAM plugin should have a "locate" function in case there's missing .nam files. What's the best place to contact the developer of the player?

What's the best place to contact the developer

No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Fwiw, that NAM plugin should have a "locate" function in case there's missing .nam files. What's the best place to contact the developer of the player?
What do you mean missing .nam files? Like you're in a folder of x amount of files but the player is not showing them all?

No, when you for example move them.
In that case you need to manually look for each of them.
Ah... meh, super low hanging fruit honestly. That kind of stuff you'd expect from a more paid/full feature app like a cabinetron. If someone made a paid plugin to do a bunch of creature comfort stuff then that would be cool. But for Steve and the team I'd rather them work on big things like native Stereo and general performance improvements.

Not trying to be a grinch I just know he's actively trying to NOT put creature comforts into the default NAM player to keep it light, otherwise there'd be more pedals/fx/routing etc etc. I think basic gate/IR and things they have there is pretty good as is.

Also, just use an indexed file searching app for your machine. On windows I use "everything" and it finds files as fast as I can type into the search bar, its been incredibly handy to find files I've moved and relink back to things.

But for Steve and the team I'd rather them work on big things like native Stereo and general performance improvements.

Lost total recall *is* a big thing. Imagine you're moving systems. Or you just want to take a project to another computer.
Some of that stuff will become incredibly laborious.

Also, just use an indexed file searching app for your machine.

Obviously, that doesn't help as I'd still have to read and type the name manually - and once the file is found, I'd still have to show it to the player.

File management is an incredibly crucial thing with plugins (or hardware) using external files.
It's also a huge, never adressed issue in Line 6 Helix land. Their IR system is the worst in the world (in case you're missing one, there's no way to get it back unless you took notes manually beforehand).

Lost total recall *is* a big thing. Imagine you're moving systems. Or you just want to take a project to another computer.

Obviously, that doesn't help as I'd still have to read and type the name manually - and once the file is found, I'd still have to show it to the player.

File management is an incredibly crucial thing with plugins (or hardware) using external files.
It's also a huge, never adressed issue in Line 6 Helix land. Their IR system is the worst in the world (in case you're missing one, there's no way to get it back unless you took notes manually beforehand).
For my file management and something like NAM or IRs they typically all have one main folder and then subfolders that make sense to me. Im sure most people who care about file management are following some kind of basic structure like this. If all my files moved hard drive or onto network storage and I couldnt find them I'd just have to remember a partial match to one single NAM file (or just search for *.nam which is even easier than *.wav for IRs).

Once I find one file it will spiral back to the master NAM folder and Im good to relink and go, take all of 20-30 seconds.

If you want to deal with file management properly then something like what Cabinetron has is probably the proper feature to be added... and then at that point it really is a feature and something a different dev could be doing in a paid NAM host. I would actually love for someone to bring out a plugin which is some version of cabinetron/tonocracy/helix but all NAM focused (guided training with level accuracy, easily changable training params for lite/advanced modes, batch training, lanes for tone routings like FAS etc etc). So I get what you're saying but this is just nice to have stuff... let Steve and the guys keep hacking away at what they do best (which is infinitely more valubale than creature comforts)

I think I actually read some Github entries on this very topic pertaining to the NAM plugin.
Are you on the latest / greatest release?

Once I find one file it will spiral back to the master NAM folder and Im good to relink and go, take all of 20-30 seconds.

You still need to relink each instance of NAM - or are you saying it will find all your sub-folder structure after one match?
I will try that later on...
Also, none of that adresses moving a project to another machine. Or would you always carry your entire NAM folders with you?

You still need to relink each instance of NAM - or are you saying it will find all your sub-folder structure after one match?
I will try that later on...
Also, none of that adresses moving a project to another machine. Or would you always carry your entire NAM folders with you?
I'm not sure the exact scenario you're talking about so hard to comment on the best way to remedy the current situation or future proof a situation.
Is this like a one time update where your local files are moved? They moved one time to network storage? Are they constantly being moved? Are you doing a one time move to another machine or are you constantly editing a single project on two machines?

I think managing plugins and files in general across two machines have their own headaches but specifically for NAM I would just pull up the session on the other machine and just find the files and load it back into NAM. I don't typically have more than 2 or 4 instances of NAM in a session so its all small time stuff to get it back up and running... maybe I'm missing something but it doesnt seem that hard to keep a track of, and the situation isnt something that is "common" aka people uprooting their files and projects constantly.

Is this like a one time update where your local files are moved? They moved one time to network storage? Are they constantly being moved? Are you doing a one time move to another machine or are you constantly editing a single project on two machines?

All this is irrelevant. Thing is, should you, for whatever reasons, have to move your files, regardless whether that is all or just a few of them, you will have to point each and every instance of NAM you've ever used to the exact location of the capture used.

Your way of arguing has been the same of some people when the first software samplers came up. Basically it's like "Come on, it's not that hard!"
Still, each and every software sampler that has survived is offering a file re-allocation system of some sorts. And those that don't, didn't survive.

Now, I know we're not talking about a commercial product here - but then, there's people requesting features all the time, so that's absolutely legit. And file re-allocation is something many people will be extremely grateful about one day - which they obviously don't know right now as there's no instant gratification.

And fwiw, Tonocracy, while "embedding" the imported captures (so they don't get lost when moving your capture's source folder, is just as bad regarding files.
- No preference menu at all.
- No way to locate and backup your files properly in Finder (I'm sure it'll be the same under Windows). Yes, you can find a folder called "library", seems to be the one where captures land in, but their names are encrypted and nobody would know how to back this up.
- Who told the app to create a folder called "Tonocracy recordings" on my desktop? It certainly wasn't me. I want to be able to set a recording location for anything I record, be it per recording or via some preferences.
- The only way to back up things is using their cloud. And knowing about Atomic, this very cloud could as well cease to exist any day, without any further notice.

Back