Atomic Tonocracy (Inc NAM support)

Like that Tonocracy is loading in some more amps. Nams are hit and miss with consistency.
100% agreed. Profiling will be that way as long as people use different reamp chains / setups.
Having commercial players step into the game and put out a hardware-based NAM profiling utility may help set a baseline of sorts.
I do like how white-box modelling is getting along these days whether that's ol' fashioned component modelling or hybrid (component + neural net).

I'm curious what the consensus is on what folks would like a hardware Tonocracy thingamabob to look like.
Personally I'm not that interested in an all-in-one amp modeler plus effects unit. That calls for a major interface such as a touch screen and if it was to go that route, I'd just as soon see something like the Fender Tone Master Pro but with Tonesnaps and NAM support. I'd rather have something that was more akin to an amp in a box like the Boss IR-200 but with a PC/Mac editor. Just enough knobs for basic amp control. Stereo of course with a stereo insert before the IR/output section. Another feature that I contemplate is the ability to "morph" between two captures of an amp with different gain stages. Can't try crossfading with the plugin until there is MIDI support but I might try Melda's MMorph which is in my collection. It's got to add some latency though but it still sounds like an interesting experiment.

Last edited:
One of reasons an all-in-one hardware unit can be nice is it usually offers lower latency when compared to multiple digital devices connected in series - you consolidate your AD/DA stages. The convenience is also hard to beat.

As an example, had IK shipped a FM9/Helix sized device with their onboard FX I think we may have seen a new top dog in that space, if IK could ever get out of their own way. That would have especially been so if they included Amplitube amp models as well.

Instead, we got the Tonex hardware pedal and though the amps can sound killer, I think adoption hasn’t been as broad as we see with kitchen sink units.

Axe-Fx IV with a NAM block would be super awesome, use the Axe models for the bread and butter and NAM for the more hyper specific amps that's not likely to be modeled.
Hoping L6 goes this route too. I get why people love white glove amp modeling, I do too, but I also would love to capture VERY specific elements of gear I own. That would be HELLA cool with all the additional FX and everything.

"Hear me out" :grin
200w.gif

I'm curious what the consensus is on what folks would like a hardware Tonocracy thingamabob to look like.
Personally I'm not that interested in an all-in-one amp modeler plus effects unit. That calls for a major interface such as a touch screen and if it was to go that route, I'd just as soon see something like the Fender Tone Master Pro but with Tonesnaps and NAM support. I'd rather have something that was more akin to an amp in a box like the Boss IR-200 but with a PC/Mac editor. Just enough knobs for basic amp control. Stereo of course with a stereo insert before the IR/output section. Another feature that I contemplate is the ability to "morph" between two captures of an amp with different gain stages. Can't try crossfading with the plugin until there is MIDI support but I might try Melda's MMorph which is in my collection. It's got to add some latency though but it still sounds like an interesting experiment.

I'd want it to look similar to the Dimehead Electronics Nam Pedal that's getting released currently (or the Boss Gt100 core, etc) . .Dimehead is on the money ;) Also I would definitely want it capable of using NAM effects, as I've downloaded loads of great captured fx. Definitely want it to have REV and DEL, and definitely want it capable of using additional footswitches and expression pedals. I like a lot of the captures more than the models in Line6, Fractal, Boss,etc so I'd be wanting one as long as it had all the right features for me. . BUT if it never comes out there are many other great options at our disposal these days. (Best by far in my lifetime)

Last edited:
At the very least, I wish Tonocracy would include MIDI CC parameter control as well as a GUI that will scale down without the fonts getting minuscule. I never asked for a refund, so put my donation toward that...! :cool:

I'd want it to look similar to the Dimehead Electronics Nam Pedal that's getting released currently (or the Boss Gt100 core, etc) . .Dimehead is on the money ;)
Odd that the website link for Dimehead opens up a login page. I'm an IT guy and it always strikes me as counterproductive not to get the website up and running first thing. That's the place to showcase your product. It's so easy these days.

Odd that the website link for Dimehead opens up a login page. I'm an IT guy and it always strikes me as counterproductive not to get the website up and running first thing. That's the place to showcase your product. It's so easy these days.
They're using Facebook (and Instagram) and very active on both. https://www.facebook.com/DIMEHEAD/ I notice a lot of small guitar-gear companies are doing that these days. Definiteliy keeps some overhead down! :)

I'd rather have something that was more akin to an amp in a box like the Boss IR-200 but with a PC/Mac editor. Just enough knobs for basic amp control.

I'm fine with a lot of knobs and less screen, but 5-10+ years down the road when that PC/Mac editor doesn't work, I'd want some way to navigate/change all the settings.

The benefit of an all in one unit is that you avoid extra latency for each digital box in your setup (and FX loop in the hardware if supported).

I suspect the current/future FX in Tononcracy would come over to a device subject to limits on CPU/DSP which could be lower than a high end desktop PC. Don't use them.

Now that the TONEX ONE is out and its such an amazing unit for the money, what would a TONOCRAZY unit look like that could compete with a mini pedal @ $179.99

Now that the TONEX ONE is out and its such an amazing unit for the money, what would a TONOCRAZY unit look like that could compete with a mini pedal @ $179.99
For $180, Tom will meet you in person, look you in the eye, and shake your hand before proceeding to take your device and ghost you. The $180 covers mileage and incidentals during travel to your location.

Nothing will touch that until the overseas companies get into the capture/ profile game
IK has that market pretty well locked down in the under $400 if you want to work around a less than stellar user experience with the software

Installed this for the first time (didn't run on my old computer), and what a clumsy affair it is. Around 550MB and apparently the plugin versions don't share any ressources with each other. Also, Logic crashed and I had to install and open the standalone version first to get it authorized - and as if that wasn't enough, it installed the iLok manager - which isn't even needed itself (no registered products shown - haven't transfered any stuff from my old system yet).
At first contact, I don't find the plugin exactly pleasant to fool around with, either.
Guess I need to get acustomed a bit more.

Anyhow, so what's the best place(s) for NAM captures on the web? I'm quite curious because until now I couldn't ever try them due to my vintage Mac.

Installed this for the first time (didn't run on my old computer), and what a clumsy affair it is. Around 550MB and apparently the plugin versions don't share any ressources with each other. Also, Logic crashed and I had to install and open the standalone version first to get it authorized - and as if that wasn't enough, it installed the iLok manager - which isn't even needed itself (no registered products shown - haven't transfered any stuff from my old system yet).
At first contact, I don't find the plugin exactly pleasant to fool around with, either.
Guess I need to get acustomed a bit more.

Anyhow, so what's the best place(s) for NAM captures on the web? I'm quite curious because until now I couldn't ever try them due to my vintage Mac.
Tonehunt.org. Start with @Slammin Mofo ’s stuff for sure.

Back