Atomic Tonocracy (Inc NAM support)

True, but I wouldn't spec a DAW system without a minimum of 16GB RAM, that's absolute minimum these days.

Even more so, with Apple's decision to make all new Macs with Soldered RAM and CPU - No end user upgrades and their RAM upgrade prices are very overpriced.
They have always scammed their followers for drive/RAM upgrades but now the RAM is built as part of the CPU rather than in the form of DRAM sticks sitting in slots on the main board - so no swapping out sticks to double the RAM, it has to be built into the CPU at the factory.

OK, that factory preset, Polarity Stereo, that is some sweet stuff there!

I've been on a Fender binge lately. Playing an MBritt Twin Reverb in Kemper mostly and this is so nice to have right there in the 'box'.

Twin Reverb? The name makes me think so as does the sound. But it is just a 1x12 cab.
I played it for a good 30 minutes before looking and was surprised when I saw that.
I thought it would be a 2x12 for sure. Sounds like the big Fender.

Well done Tonocracy! Keep up the good work!

Is there a reason why now that this is free that it still requires an iLok ?

I mean I get its totally and rightfully their call ..... but ..... ?????

Ben

Is there a reason why now that this is free that it still requires an iLok ?

There are two hypothesis:
  • It was easier to leave it in than rip it out.
  • It's there to support downloadable content that will be available for purchase.

what’s the aversion to iLok (even for free products)?

It’s by far the best copy protection system, and much more preferable to using a different protection method for every single piece of software you ever buy. Presumably there will be some additional or paid content to unlock, ilok is probably the best method at protecting whatever needs protecting.

It’s by far the best copy protection system, and much more preferable to using a different protection method for every single piece of software you ever buy. Presumably there will be some additional or paid content to unlock, ilok is probably the best method at protecting whatever needs protecting.
I agree ^

I actually like iLok. I use a USB dongle to store my licenses, which allows me to easily (and legally) install and use software on more than one computer, even when the license only authorizes use on a single computer at a time. And for $30 a year, iLok sells protection from loss or theft. And I can't remember ever having an issue with license validation. A number of years ago I had a hard drive die and I lost quite a few licenses that were installed on the drive. It was a royal hassle contacting multiple vendors to get licenses reissued. It took quite a bit of time, and a lot of stress, to get things back to a usable state. To me, iLok is great. I see it as a necessity due to theft. It would be nice if vendors didn't have to protect themselves, but unfortunately they do or they won't make money.

So I finally made time to take Tonocracy on a capturing spree and this are my thoughts.

I did not take the calibration recommendation procedure as my multimeter does not have low mv setting, so the initial testing was made by A/B hearing and feel.

A big thank you to Atomic for putting the MONITOR IR feature there, something missing in most capturing software.

Most of my capturing experience come from TONEX but I did some with a QC when I had it in loan, at that time they had not implemented a monitoring IR so actually capturing an amp with no cab was a mess. TONEX still has not solve this.

My amp of choice for this initial tests was a MESA Mark III from 89, to me, its a great amp to capture as it has multiple tones it can generate and its a 6L6 and EL34 power section.

After setting the correct volume going into the amp I found the process very easy to do, SPEED and QUALITY are the key words here, Tonocracy captures are amazing, its like que maximum quality setting in TONEX at a fraction of the time it takes to capture and process.

Another key feature is multiple captures regardless of captures being processed. So I can start a new capture as soon the previous one is being processed. This is so much fun because the waiting time is translated in productive time!

At my end, individual captures take about 20 minutes from start to finish.

Doing A/B test once the capture is done is a breeze, I can honestly say I can't hear or feel any differences at all. Amazing job Atomic.

The only annoying thing I found was the capture naming, since I did multiple captures this amp with out moving the knobs just Push Pulling and tubes selecting, I was faced with having to input the knob settings every time, I know this is optional and I found a work around to this, but would be a lot faster to just use previous naming from the last capture.

Overall Tonocracy is Speed, Quality and Fun! I will be sharing my captures later this week.

Cheers.

Really digging this stuff, first time I've ever thought "damn I could live with this for home use", but then I remember everything else the Axe III does besides awesome amps... :p
Also the plugin is a tad unstable for me in Logic, but that'll get better I'm sure.

The way that iLok works with Tonocracy is kind of weird. Instead of having it registered in iLok, Tonocracy just checks to see if you have it installed and running. If that's the case, how does it verify purchased content?

I noticed that iLok (Pace services) is running in the background all the time, even when not using Tonocracy. If you try stopping the service manually, it will just relaunch itself and there doesn't seem to be any way to prevent it from running (that I'm aware of). It's probably not a huge deal, but I didn't really like that and uninstalled it for now. If I were using the plugin more frequently other than just trying it out, I'd probably just deal with it and let it run.

1712681036555.png

Just trying the new Diezel models - they sound good, but when I set the channel and master volumes to 10, I don’t really hear the power amp struggling at all. It sounds basically the same as with lower master settings.

Can anyone confirm?

It doesn't seem like it's the power amp getting pushed, just more volume - maybe a minute amount of gain increase on ch4 with Volume and Master dimed.

Last edited:
Just trying the new Diezel models - they sound good, but when I set the channel and master volumes to 10, I don’t really hear the power amp struggling at all. It sounds basically the same as with lower master settings.

Can anyone confirm?
where would you say that Tonocracy fits in all of this? Perhaps not enough input to drive it?

1712777460666.png

where would you say that Tonocracy fits in all of this? Perhaps not enough input to drive it?

View attachment 21483
Tonocracy has a built in input knob that displays in dBu. So you can accurately set it to whatever your input headroom is.

I’m not talking about the input level (which behaves as expected) so much as the headroom of the modelled poweramps

The DZL Gain is extremely good! Throw my go to IR with it and hit the front end with a pedal and it just rips. Tech has gotten so good it's really inspiring to play these days even more. Like that Tonocracy is loading in some more amps. Nams are hit and miss with consistency.

Last edited:
Back