Atomic Tonocracy (Inc NAM support)

The name is terrible! I can bet people will try to search for "Tonecracy", "Tonecrazy" etc.

They've basically gone full circle. Originally there were the Studio Devil amp sims, then they made the Atomic Amps modelers and now they're back at the beginning.

The name is terrible! I can bet people will try to search for "Tonecracy", "Tonecrazy" etc.

They've basically gone full circle. Originally there were the Studio Devil amp sims, then they made the Atomic Amps modelers and now they're back at the beginning.
True, but I suspect it'll come back around to offering hardware that'll support this. At least, I hope so.

EDIT

Honestly, if this works as advertised, it seems like the app that NAM needed. Imports existing NAM captures, wraps it in an easier to use package, adds some component modeling and effects? I'm certainly interested, since ToneX, while cool as well, was frustrating to use from a capture standpoint.

The calibration process is nicely done. Fair play there.

UI is at best, on the bad side of average, but if I'm being honest its like they've done the bare minimum. Imagine if you stripped all the colour and graphics out of ToneX and you'd get something like this.

First impressions were the captures sounded much better than the modelling. Amp choice is very small so at the moment the value would be more in how it handles models.

Making a capture at the moment. All done in the cloud, which is nice. Seems like you're able to queue models up, and store knob positions etc. Lots of "problems" ToneX has are taken care of it seems.

It seems promising, but the list price of $300 seems a bit mental, even if it bundles a load of 3rd party stuff in there. I'm going to spend more time with it and maybe I'll revise this though.

In a lot of ways this is what ToneX should have been. But, it seems like there are a fair few kinks to iron out if this is going to be a slick and modern experience.

and yes, the name is hilariously bad. My first thought was people are going to think I'm saying Tone-o-crazy or democracy.

It seems promising, but the list price of $300 seems a bit mental, even if it bundles a load of 3rd party stuff in there. I'm going to spend more time with it and maybe I'll revise this though.
They're selling it for $149 which seems... fine?

They're selling it for $149 which seems... fine?
Ha we'll see. If the included stuff isn't to your liking then it HEAVILY depends on the quality of the capturing. ToneX SE's sale price is like £30 odd. First impressions were its definitely not a $300 value in its current state. If it was $50 I'd buy no questions asked/no expectations.

I've had the pleasure and honour of (unpaid) beta testing it over the past weeks. The development went very fast with short decision and improvement cycles. Compared to Tonex it has a great user interface. Very intuitive and powerful in my opinion. As many IRs as you might want and you can load Reverb IRs too which is a huge plus. The stuff that's included (amps, captures, verbs, cabs, fx, ...) sounds just great IMO. There is a Speaker Compression feature in the captures that also adds a lot of magic to NAM captures. Considering the vast library of free and commercial NAM stuff out there, this is very attractive indeed and will only become better. I also like the capturing process with calibration for all variable ins and outs, gives you some security as to what you're doing. I love using it!

Well it's NAM so the capture quality should be great... you've made NAM captures, how do you like the quality?
It supports NAM, but I believe it uses its own technology to make models. The first model came out quite good on first listen but I haven't compared to NAM. With this kind of tech it really depends on how its captured and how long you train it for. Tonocracy handles the training so you can't train with more epochs (for instance).

So far, the only real benefit I'm finding over using NAM is the support for other sample rates. The way files are organised is a bit weird, and some really obvious stuff seems to be missed. The manual isn't live yet so its hard to know what to expect of how it behaves. I don't really like how things are organised, EVERYTHING is in a list on the left so theres a lot of scrolling and hunting to do to find anything. I would love to be able to tag NAM models with their calibration. If I set the input in the plugin to my interface calibration, I have no idea if that is reducing the signal hitting the NAM model.

The cabs are basically a list of IR's and without any kind of clever sorting. You can't move or swap microphones or speakers, its just picking from a list. The reverbs all seem to be plain IR's too, so again its just sort of tacking on stuff you can get and use for free elsewhere.

I can't even tell if the free/demo version has all the included gear or if the paid one has other stuff. Again, maybe I'll be wrong on this but so far this doesn't look like something I'd spend money on.

It supports NAM, but I believe it uses its own technology to make models. The first model came out quite good on first listen but I haven't compared to NAM. With this kind of tech it really depends on how its captured and how long you train it for. Tonocracy handles the training so you can't train with more epochs (for instance).

So far, the only real benefit I'm finding over using NAM is the support for other sample rates. The way files are organised is a bit weird, and some really obvious stuff seems to be missed. The manual isn't live yet so its hard to know what to expect of how it behaves. I don't really like how things are organised, EVERYTHING is in a list on the left so theres a lot of scrolling and hunting to do to find anything. I would love to be able to tag NAM models with their calibration. If I set the input in the plugin to my interface calibration, I have no idea if that is reducing the signal hitting the NAM model.

The cabs are basically a list of IR's and without any kind of clever sorting. You can't move or swap microphones or speakers, its just picking from a list. The reverbs all seem to be plain IR's too, so again its just sort of tacking on stuff you can get and use for free elsewhere.

I can't even tell if the free/demo version has all the included gear or if the paid one has other stuff. Again, maybe I'll be wrong on this but so far this doesn't look like something I'd spend money on.
You can make sub folders so it's easy to organise the left side. Just drag and drop.

You can make sub folders so it's easy to organise the left side. Just drag and drop.
Yeah, the list on the left is extremely basic as far as organising and searchng for things. I have like 500 of my own NAM models and 20,000 odd IR's and I absolutely do not want to have to navigate through that list to find something. The search feature is giving me this error so im not even sure if the search is for an online database or locally on my computer:
Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 17.59.39.png

Is it possible to embed meta data for NAM calibration levels? how do I pan anything? is it possible to change the filter slope/type in the cab block? what about delay/polarity? what about level?

It would be great if I could just point it to my NAM folders and it automatically syncs/updates to match the folders.

is this the actual release version or a soft launch or what? As I said there are some very good ideas here but so far its been a bit of a nightmare to use.

So are they using NAM for their capture technology, or is NAM support in addition?

If they are using NAM for their captures, can you use their software to create normal NAM files, or have they wrapped it up in a token proprietary layer?

Yeah, the list on the left is extremely basic as far as organising and searchng for things. I have like 500 of my own NAM models and 20,000 odd IR's and I absolutely do not want to have to navigate through that list to find something. The search feature is giving me this error so im not even sure if the search is for an online database or locally on my computer:
View attachment 12246

Is it possible to embed meta data for NAM calibration levels? how do I pan anything? is it possible to change the filter slope/type in the cab block? what about delay/polarity? what about level?

It would be great if I could just point it to my NAM folders and it automatically syncs/updates to match the folders.

is this the actual release version or a soft launch or what? As I said there are some very good ideas here but so far its been a bit of a nightmare to use.
Whatever you create is saved in the cloud. You can also make a local backup. You can share through the search. Not sure what that error is you are getting, it works fine for me. But it was just launched today..
For panning, if you drag items over each other, you can open unlimited parallel paths for amps, or cabs or fx or anything, there you can pan items L/R, it's pretty fast and intuitive once you get the hang of it. (see my screen attached)
I guess you could even organise 500 nam models with folders and sub folders, at least it's better to organise than the long list in Tonex. They are a small team and can react fast to user requirements, I've seen the speed over the past weeks, quite impressive. So I'm sure there's a lot more to come!

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-19 um 19.36.17.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-19 um 19.36.17.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 96
So are they using NAM for their capture technology, or is NAM support in addition?

If they are using NAM for their captures, can you use their software to create normal NAM files, or have they wrapped it up in a token proprietary layer?
I think it's their own technology but you can import and use NAM models inside the environment and get the extra features of their captures with the NAM models too. Capturing is actually very easy and quite fast with Tonocracy.

Whatever you create is saved in the cloud. You can also make a local backup. You can share through the search. Not sure what that error is you are getting, it works fine for me. But it was just launched today..
Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 18.44.29.png

Still getting errors when clicking that search icon - is that searching the cloud or on my drive? Is anything I create automatically shared to the cloud so other users can access it? How do I see and edit the stuff I've uploaded?

Is it possible to search through stuff that isn't on the cloud?

The capture process is excellent and done really well (although I couldnt see how to A/B the capture against the real amp), but basically everything else about this screams that its nowhere near ready to be released. Almost everything I'm trying to do seems unintuitive and lacking in information, and there isn't a manual or built in help to resolve it.

View attachment 12248
Still getting errors when clicking that search icon - is that searching the cloud or on my drive? Is anything I create automatically shared to the cloud so other users can access it? How do I see and edit the stuff I've uploaded?

Is it possible to search through stuff that isn't on the cloud?

The capture process is excellent and done really well (although I couldnt see how to A/B the capture against the real amp), but basically everything else about this screams that its nowhere near ready to be released. Almost everything I'm trying to do seems unintuitive and lacking in information, and there isn't a manual or built in help to resolve it.
There is an A/B for the capture at the end (last step "Audition").

The search has been fixed I think, maybe try again, was probably a hangup due to the launch.

I got confused with the cloud too at first. But it's quite cool because you don't need to organise your files. If you change computers, just login on a different machine and you got your library ready.
You can choose if you want to share any profiles with the Upload feature. You can also delete uploads later. Same goes for IRs or Verbs.

Back