Fractal Talk

What I like about a touchscreen is the ability to just be able to click on a block anywhere in the chain and have a window open up with those controls , even as Yek said above ,a split screen
IMO that saves you clicking several times to page over to the cab block if working on the unit
So in that way I think it could be useful

Another thing that some other products do is have the block Colors assigned to different types of fx while I know it’s nothing more that cosmetic
It does give a visual cues that you can go oh green is delay
Red is amp , purple is cab
I like that as a GUI because it more Mac user styled and intuitive
Again I realize the challenges because of the sheer amount of fx but maybe if they were grouped in types

Im not even sure why anyone would be overly desirous of new hardware from Fractal unless it includes a radical UI overhaul. The devices they have are already extremely powerful, to the extent that I think upgrading just to get a better chip to largely run the same shit starts falling into the smart phone upgrade pattern.

14mp camera now instead of 13mp!!
Who Cares Crazy Ex Girlfriend GIF

Y’all rooting to spend more money for the same shit.

There are two things that need to happen in the Fractalverse:
  • Plug-in box
  • Tablet editor
All the rest is just hardware churn that doesn’t get anyone any farther down the road than where we are right now. The missing link for Fractal is the ability to run them as plugins, and the most substantial and achievable win for the UI is a tablet editor.

Well .... its been nearly 2 years but I did it .... I re-grabbed an OG FM3 earlier today and will compare it to my KPA with LP and report back .... only one will stay :)

Ben
Having owned and gigged both a Kemper toaster and an Axe 2, FM3 and FM9, I'm genuinely curious to see how this turns out for you.

Ben does love himself a Kemper. I can see the Kemper staying

I certainly do :) ..... but what overrides everything for me re: gear is my absolute and total lack of any loyalty to any brand ..... so if I think the FM3 with CX3 is "better" to me ..... my current green best friend will be gone ! :) ... if not I'll revisit a Fractal unit in a year or two again to see if CX4 or CX5 is "better" for me :)

Ben does love himself a Kemper. I can see the Kemper staying
I don’t know this update for me on the FM9 is a beast , I am going through the amps and I honestly can’t find one that I am thinking sounds off or unmusical , they all sound killer from the 2203 to the Silver Jubilee. HBE ,

Well .... its been nearly 2 years but I did it .... I re-grabbed an OG FM3 earlier today and will compare it to my KPA with LP and report back .... only one will stay :)

Ben
Previously I always thought Kemper and Tonex had the best feel. Cygnus x3 changed that for me.

Last edited:
Biggest next-gen wish is simply native mobile/tablet app/real-time editor Bluetooth functionality from day one. Bring FracPad in-house or create another one from the ground up....whatever is most sustainable in the long-term.

Still?

I don't know. I was super curious and now I am just like, "I already really dig what I hear." :idk

I haven’t. I’m still in JVM + pedals + cab mode. lol

When the next Do Something thing kicks off it will turn back to Fractal season. Nothing really swayed me in the update to fire up the computer, it already sounded dope. :ROFLMAO:

Interesting reading the last few pages about what people want in their next-gen device. I can't really think of much other than improved UI, bluetooth UI web app or tablet app, a more compact form factor... Hard to think of much they can improve at this point that isn't UI or form factor related. More DSP power if available, memory, new amps and effects, etc. I guess is always good, but my non turbo FM3 can already do most anything I need, so probably not hugely motivating factor. But better UI along with some of the other things mentioned might be hard to resist.

Reactions: LCW
Back