The Fractal FM3 Sucks (Kind of)

"Take a few days and actually learn how to use the hardware. It's really not that hard, no matter how many people like to claim contrary..."= calling someone an idiot?

Hmmm.
It's obvious that the piece of gear sitting in front of you isn't going to magically change on account of your online complaining, so yeah, "Learn to use it" is always solid advice. But when people on a gear forum make an observation like "Edit and Enter can be ambiguous", they're typically just looking for someone to say, "You're not crazy." Getting the "git gud" reply can feel like deflection, and then everybody on both sides of the argument gets defensive.

Anyway there's a whole spectrum of ways to say, "learn to use the hardware", ranging from constructive to "you're an idiot". What's really crazy about this sub-sub-sub-subject is I would have sworn Orvillain had called me an idiot on account of my FAS UI aversion. He was probably more colorful, though. "Knob end", maybe. :rofl

EDIT: @Orvillain and I have since compared notes; it was "BELLEND", apparently.

Last edited:
Well I actually traded it already and don’t have it anymore, and yes that’s a direct result of its usability.

Say all you want about reading the manual, learn how to use it etc, but at the end of the day unless you hook it up to a computer and spend hours programming it, only to be locked into those sounds until you do it all again, it’s a real pain in the arse to use as a music making tool.

At the end of the day there’s plenty of other devices or rigs that are much easier to use and sound just as good so it’s bye-bye unfortunately.

It's obvious that the piece of gear sitting in front of you isn't going to magically change on account of your online complaining, so yeah, "Learn to use it" is always solid advice. But when people on a gear forum make an observation like "Edit and Enter can be ambiguous", they're typically just looking for someone to say, "You're not crazy." Getting the "git gud" reply can feels like deflection, and then everybody on both sides of the argument gets defensive.

Anyway there's a whole spectrum of ways to say, "learn to use the hardware", ranging from constructive to "you're an idiot". What's really crazy about this sub-sub-sub-subject is I would have sworn Orvillain had called me an idiot on account of my FAS UI aversion. He was probably more colorful, though. "Knob end", maybe. :rofl
Yeah. I said it.

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America

Yeah. I said it.

Samuel L Jackson Reaction GIF by Coming to America
Well, I know you've called me a knob end bellend. At least once. I'm just trying to sort out whether it had anything to do with my "endless carping" about the FM3 UI. :D

Last edited:
Constructive suggestions
  1. Group amps together by maker
  2. Allow import of block libraries
  3. Display when a block library is being used in Edit
  4. Perform a hostile takeover of FracPad, give it the Cliff magic and release as Fractal Mobile Edit
  5. Rename the Enter button to:

giphy.gif

I had a wtf moment yesterday. I was zoom'd in a level and was trying to insert a block into the chain. I moved the input block one column to the left and selected the empty block. I hit enter/edit/can't remember now and tried to rotate the value knob to select the distortion block but it didn't work. I had to zoom back out to add the block.

There are a lot of oddball moments like that that happen when you are using the hardware. They usually tke more time to explain why they don't make sense than just backing out and resetting your brain for a sec and giving another go.

I think the lowest-hanging fruit for Fractal is just cleaning up the nonsensical navigation/UI decisions in the current gen of devices that require no new hardware, joystick or touchscreen whatsoever.

I half-joked some months back about the dumpster fire that is....moving a block on the unit to another location. The FM3/FM9/Axe-FX III all have pressable main encoders and directional arrow buttons. One would think that would be all you need to select a block, move it to the location on the grid of choice, and then deselect it so it can stay there permanently.

Nope. Once you get to the block, you have to page over until you reach the Tools tab, then twist the encoder to select "Move right" or "Move left" (instead of actually moving it with the gotdamn arrows!) and then you have to press a different encoder to select Execute, where it will do that action....once.

@Orvillain and @Whizzinby have also detailed dunderheaded use cases of the same ilk in posts #148 and #62 in this thread, respectively.

Call it the Nav Simplification update or whatever....but there's just no reason for this sort of inanity to plague an otherwise deity-tiered device for this long.

I think the lowest-hanging fruit for Fractal is just cleaning up the nonsensical navigation/UI decisions in the current gen of devices that require no new hardware, joystick or touchscreen whatsoever.

I half-joked some months back about the dumpster fire that is....moving a block on the unit to another location. The FM3/FM9/Axe-FX III all have pressable main encoders and directional arrow buttons. One would think that would be all you need to select a block, move it to the location on the grid of choice, and then deselect it so it can stay there permanently.

Nope. Once you get to the block, you have to page over until you reach the Tools tab, then twist the encoder to select "Move right" or "Move left" (instead of actually moving it with the gotdamn arrows!) and then you have to press a different encoder to select Execute, where it will do that action....once.

@Orvillain and @Whizzinby have also detailed dunderheaded use cases of the same ilk in posts #148 and #62 in this thread, respectively.

Call it the Nav Simplification update or whatever....but there's just no reason for this sort of inanity to plague an otherwise deity-tiered device for this long.
If the Tools page was replaced with the actual capability for direct block actions; that would a godsend.

Just learn to use the hardware, you idiot.

images

Back