Axe Fx III or FM3 + Big Sky MX and Brig?

8pbcuo.gif

Meh. Have you ever tried to use performance knobs to tweak an analog delay into oscillation with dramatic pitch changes? Not easy to do on the Fractal stuff.

And spending a $2k to avoid spending $1k on pedals seems...very gear forum math-y.
No because that’s naff.

Is playing out completely of the table?

If not, in the AXE scenario, will you take that?
Or if you keep the FM3 just for that….accept that you got to dust it off, check all your presets cause your preferences have changed at every 3 monthly jam/gig?

If playing out is still in the stars, I’d definitely keep the fm3, and would avoid a 2nd platform that will get the most use in your mancave…simply cause you’ll be maintaining presets/sounds on 2 devices. Personally I think that’s a pita…and costs more then the benefit of “perfect tool/size for the occasion”.

Am I correct that you run into the Fm3s dsp limitation, and that’s the reason you want to add the Bigsky?
If so…you will be doubling up on something that is already a strength of the FM3.
Did you consider adding something that adds in a department where it’s doesn’t excel?..like captures/profiling, or a lot of foot switches…im thinking kemper player/tonex/QC. Maybe it doesn’t relief dsp enough…idnk..

Is playing out completely of the table?

If not, in the AXE scenario, will you take that?
Or if you keep the FM3 just for that….accept that you got to dust it off, check all your presets cause your preferences have changed at every 3 monthly jam/gig?

If playing out is still in the stars, I’d definitely keep the fm3, and would avoid a 2nd platform that will get the most use in your mancave…simply cause you’ll be maintaining presets/sounds on 2 devices. Personally I think that’s a pita…and costs more then the benefit of “perfect tool/size for the occasion”.

Am I correct that you run into the Fm3s dsp limitation, and that’s the reason you want to add the Bigsky?
If so…you will be doubling up on something that is already a strength of the FM3.
Did you consider adding something that adds in a department where it’s doesn’t excel?..like captures/profiling, or a lot of foot switches…im thinking kemper player/tonex/QC. Maybe it doesn’t relief dsp enough…idnk..
Playing out of the house is off the table for at least a couple years -- kids situation has gotten exponentially more complicated over the last 12 months to the point that guitar is definitely a thing that does not involve any other relationships with people for the foreseeable future, because I'm already tapped out on that front.

Honestly, the only thing I'm wanting is a better spring reverb. The one in the FM3 ain't bad, but it is the one thing I struggle with a bit. I don't run into dsp limitations atm. Honestly, its all pretty dumb and I should probably just go back to enjoying my current rig and shopping for an SG :bonk

Last edited:
After having an fm3 and also not playing out of the house really I’d just go the axe3. I’ve got rack slots ready to go so having it around is virtually no extra footprint in my setup. I tried a few methods for the fm3 and on the floor or desk it was always a slug of cables and not ideal for me.

Processing wise the fm3 would probably do everything everyone wants (except for dual amps). I’d personally go the axe3 for the form factor and latest firmware noodling

Ax3 or fm9 turbo and you won’t need or want pedals..
I think Fractal is pretty great but I can also admit that other companies do great stuff that I want to have. So nah, I'd just be out 1-3 k for extra features I'd barely ever use and still be buying other pedals :idk

The AxeFX is the greatest multi-fx unit ever made, but I still think single purpose pedals with dedicated controls are fun and other companies have their own unique and cool spins on each effect type.

You can get Strymon’y with the Plex Delay block but the Plex devours the FM3’s cpu. Whereas on the Axe it only consumes about 7%

giphy.gif

You want that MX bro, do it. FM3 + MX would be pretty immense.

The OX Stomp saves about 5% CPU vs the FM3's cab block using standard IR's alone, though a lot more CPU is saved vs the FM3's cab block when it's room sim is used and/or ultra rez IR's, not to mention the reverb block which saves between 15 and 30 percent alone depending on the quality setting. Total savings in my setup are around 30%, which is substantial in a FM3.

Cons, the included Bluetooth app which designs presets and allows access to the deeper parameters, is minimal.

So are the cab sims better, yes and no, but the CPU savings can be considerable.

The FM3 + Ox Stomp is not far from the FM9 in terms of total price and space. Suspect that would take care of your CPU issues as well?

One option is FM3+something that gives you functionality that's not possible even on an FM9. For example an Eventide H9 or HX One for an extra pitch block along with other goodies.

The FM3 + Ox Stomp is not far from the FM9 in terms of total price and space. Suspect that would take care of your CPU issues as well?
Yes it would except for two things, one I prefer the sound/feel with the OX Stomp (personal opinion), and more importantly two as I prefer the FM3's smaller footprint seeing I mount mine on a pedalboard along with a patchbay (plus the external pedal or two), to protect it's connectors on blacked out stages. A bigger pedalboard that could mount a FM9 and the corresponding bigger patchbay would be considerably larger and heavier.

That said, if form factor doesn't matter, then certainly the FM9/AFX3 are the way to go.

Last edited:
One option is FM3+something that gives you functionality that's not possible even on an FM9. For example an Eventide H9 or HX One for an extra pitch block along with other goodies.
Thanks for the discussion everyone. I'm going to go back to the original plan of grabbing a III. This post by Aleksi clarifies it for me. I've been down this road so many times and you'd think I'd have learned my lesson. Whatever "convenience" is gained from a pedal with knobs; or "variety" that's gained by expanding the pie, or "savings" is achieved by putting a couple cheaper things together is always out weighed by the added headaches and/or adult ADHD distractions.

Axe III it is. Now patience waiting for a mk I to pop up and seller that recognizes a mk I will not have same value as a mk ii...

Thanks for the discussion everyone. I'm going to go back to the original plan of grabbing a III. This post by Aleksi clarifies it for me. I've been down this road so many times and you'd think I'd have learned my lesson. Whatever "convenience" is gained from a pedal with knobs; or "variety" that's gained by expanding the pie, or "savings" is achieved by putting a couple cheaper things together is always out weighed by the added headaches and/or adult ADHD distractions.

Axe III it is. Now patience waiting for a mk I to pop up and seller that recognizes a mk I will not have same value as a mk ii...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Back