Axe Fx III or FM3 + Big Sky MX and Brig?

So much for patience. III mk II incoming...

...now I REALLY need to get to work on building the corner boxes for my desk...

Impeachment GIF by GIPHY News

Axe Fx Mark 2 axe is a waste of time it offers nothing really over mark 1 most companies would not even have mentioned such a minor change. . Turbo is only worth considering if you are up against the cpu most of the time .

Axe Fx Mark 2 axe is a waste of time it offers nothing really over mark 1 most companies would not even have mentioned such a minor change. . Turbo is only worth considering if you are up against the cpu most of the time .
That's only because the Fullres IR feature, that was one of the few true differentiators between Axe-Fx 3 Mk1 vs Mk2, has gone basically nowhere. There's just no 3rd party IRs utilizing it for e.g room mics.

Similarly you will find it hard to max out the Axe-Fx 3 enough to find the Turbo a useful option unless you run a dual amps + Fullres IRs + fx kitchen sink patches. With the gapless switching making such patch increasingly irrelevant, Turbo is basically for people who think "Well, it's only a few hundred extra, might as well get the best." There's likely to be an Axe-Fx IV before there is anything making use of that horsepower.

That's only because the Fullres IR feature, that was one of the few true differentiators between Axe-Fx 3 Mk1 vs Mk2, has gone basically nowhere. There's just no 3rd party IRs utilizing it for e.g room mics.

Similarly you will find it hard to max out the Axe-Fx 3 enough to find the Turbo a useful option unless you run a dual amps + Fullres IRs + fx kitchen sink patches. With the gapless switching making such patch increasingly irrelevant, Turbo is basically for people who think "Well, it's only a few hundred extra, might as well get the best." There's likely to be an Axe-Fx IV before there is anything making use of that horsepower.
The main advances from Axe2 to 3 was interface, screen and inputs and outputs. That is all fixed in the 3. I can't see a touch screen helping and is the audio really going to step up by a difference that you can hear? I think some dedicated FR FR options with accurate amp in the room feel is what Axe is missing. The 3 is a done deal in what it is meant to do. As for full res, just use dyna cabs they are fully implemented in Mk1. Fracal seem to do this when the sales slow, they bring out a new Mk 2 version that has a different colour LED and a free pen and all the sheep buy it even though its 99.99999% identical.

Addressing your substance:

(1). Mark I units don't actually pop up for sale all that often and I wasn't feeling that patient.
(2). The mark I units aren't selling for THAT much less than the mark II units. I snagged a mark II for $150 more than the lowest "sold for" price of a mark I on reverb (and squarely within the average "sold for" window for mark I units - a window that substantially overlaps with the range for mark II units), and I got it from a vendor with a generous and trusted return policy.
(3). At this point, any mark I unit is necessarily 3 years old. Not a huge deal...but also not huge savings.
(4). I agree on there not being much technical reason to go for a mk II over a mk I. However...if the point is to future proof yourself, given that Fractal Firmware is anything but a stationary target - they've already added one features (that I don't care about) that can't run on the mk I. I suspect this platform to be around for another 7+ years, so wouldn't be surprised if there are others later that need the increased memory of the II.

Turning away from substance and towards the context of the post: I learned this week that there is a term of art within the work of early childhood education for this kind of behavior. There are actually ways that early childhood educators try to help kids learn not to do it. I, too, apparently missed that day of preschool, so I get it.

But dude - you don't need to yuck another person's yum.

Last edited:
Axe Fx III arrived the other day. Haven't had too much time to mess with it, honestly, but did have a little bit of time this morning to set up the main driver of the move to it from FM3. First little bit is with spring reverb in front of Princeton reverb amp model into BF 1x10 cab and out. The main part is same, but with a medium hall reverb after the cab block, mix low at like 9.5% or so. Tremolo in the amp block is dialed in with moderate depth.

Axe Fx III arrived the other day. Haven't had too much time to mess with it, honestly, but did have a little bit of time this morning to set up the main driver of the move to it from FM3. First little bit is with spring reverb in front of Princeton reverb amp model into BF 1x10 cab and out. The main part is same, but with a medium hall reverb after the cab block, mix low at like 9.5% or so. Tremolo in the amp block is dialed in with moderate depth.

No boost kicked in for that bit towards the end?
If that's all fingers and/or pick it's super impressive touch responsiveness!

No boost kicked in for that bit towards the end?
If that's all fingers and/or pick it's super impressive touch responsiveness!
Less snarky response -- having a (good) spring reverb IN FRONT of an amp, as it effectively is in a combo amp, makes those kinds of dynamics come out a lot more effectively. Which is why I was pretty pumped for the Axe III, despite it "only" being about one little thing that "isn't really a big deal and not worth the upgrade" to most folks.

Let's hear him get the same dynamics through a Radio Shack mic'd Pignose....... :whistle
Closest I can come to that in the III is using the Jazz chorus, with its gain cranked up to about 7, running into the first factory cab (pig nose). It's not a pig nose, but also not exactly a rig known for dynamic touch sensitivity. Yet...with the reverb in front, it has a LITTLE bit more than just on/off touch response:

@Boudoir Guitar - do you have a Strymon unit to compare against? Curious about your thoughts on quality compared to the old guard.

The more I dig into the Quad Cortex, the more disappointing the reverbs are. Probably the biggest drawback. I've been playing more of the Axe 3 now that I have the physical cab and power amp, and while I love the form factor of the QC, the Fractal reverbs are so much better and 3D sounding (even in mono).

Back