NDSP Quad Cortex

I'm ignoring the "beef" (and associated subtext) and using the meme :bag
I'm with Drew on this one, but then I have a very long history of rejecting even the most "hallowed" of punk acts because I can't stand the integration of kid-dish pop elements. I will don my flame suit to say I can't stand most Ramones, Misfits (love solo Danzig), etc. because it just sounds like goofballs riffing on nursery rhymes to me. (And there happen to be Marshalls on stage.) Likewise when e.g. Fugazi (who are on my mind per the above Turnstile content) gets into their whole "sitting in the waiting room woooah" hook. What happened to the punk??

That's the first screen that comes to mind when everyone says the entire QC UI was ripped off from Helix. #improvements
I Guess If You Say So GIF

I'm with Drew on this one, but then I have a very long history of rejecting even the most "hallowed" of punk acts because I can't stand the integration of kid-dish pop elements. I will don my flame suit to say I can't stand most Ramones, Misfits (love solo Danzig), etc. because it just sounds like goofballs riffing on nursery rhymes to me. (And there happen to be Marshalls on stage.) Likewise when e.g. Fugazi (who are on my mind per the above Turnstile content) gets into their whole "sitting in the waiting room woooah" hook. What happened to the punk??
The Ramones as sacred text to me. Punk doesn't have to be sloppy Johnny Rotten garbage or atonal Black Flag riffs 24x7 to be punk. For my ears, at least.

The Ramones as sacred text to me. Punk doesn't have to be sloppy Johnny Rotten garbage or atonal Black Flag riffs 24x7 to be punk. For my ears, at least.
I'm not debating whether The Ramone's are "punk" or not. They surely are - by definition, at this point. Then again, "punk" can mean anything from Suicidal Tendencies to Andy Warhol, so... :idk All I'm saying is they sound silly to me.

Last edited:
That's the first screen that comes to mind when everyone says the entire QC UI was ripped off from Helix. #improvements

And honestly who gives a shit anyway? Everything converges to an accepted way of operating a device. It’s like the dorks that used to argue about Android v iPhone and who lifted a feature from one or the other. Good ideas get ingested by the competition and become standards. Rinse, repeat, and continually improve.

I had my time in punk bands in the 90`s ( singing and guitar ) but i strugle to listen to `punk` with new bands, hehe. The song started really cool!
I used love Descendents, Bad Religion, NOFX, Sense Field, Face to Face, Leatherface, Black Flag.
And after that hardcore punk`isj was the thing, like Refused and stuff.

It`s wierd, but now a listen to Messhugga, Synth Pop :rofl , and Tool, and Opeth and Porcupine Tree, Rollins Band, and alot of Post Metal stuff
But I love me some Leatherface!

I love this song... goosebumps

Same, I loved punk music in the 90's. Bad Religion is one of my all time favorite bands, along with NOFX and others. I always leaned towards the poppy side of things though so I was more into bands like MXPX, Unwritten Law, early Offspring, early Blink 182, etc.

I got into a lot of the screamo / post-hardcore of the mid to late 2000's and played in a couple of those types of bands. I liked the blend of pop-punk with heavier elements. I was never a full on metal guy though.

It seemed like after Blink 182, most punk music got stuck on the same pop-punk thing. I was a big fan of The Wonder Years for instance, but then every album sounds the same and then 100 other bands all sound the same. And unlike Nirvana where the copycats only lasted a few years, We've been going on 15-20 years of the same sound.

Honestly I hear that with mainstream rock too. It's like we got stuck in a constant loop of Five Finger Death Punch and Breaking Benjamin for the last two decades.

/rant over

Back to Bad Religion, I think "No Control" is the coolest album cover of all time. It's so late 80's in the best way possible. I would love to get a guitar finished like that (multi color tie dye looking thing with a black silhouette graphic on top).

ab67616d0000b273e78b00ce2d5f0f7f437e61a0

True, but I think you need to look at the timelines with some of these products. (And not just whether they're different, but whether they're better or worse.) Like yeah, FAS looks very different from HX (and by way of extension QC) because FAS has looked more or less the same for a thousand years. Same for most of Boss' products (except for that one time Roland went with a Q-Bert theme for no discernable... you know the drill.) This stuff is going to look different to newer products to extent that it looks dated.

As things move forward, it doesn't surprise me to see UIs converging toward a place where they're sensible and easy on the eyes. A lot of this is universal, and the rest tends to be arbitrarily standardized over time. This helps reduce learning curves - especially important at point of sale. The only time I expect a radical departure in UI is when there's a radical departure in hardware or feature set.

Look at iPhone vs Android vs Google phones. A lot of UI has converged there. I'd expect the same thing in other devices too. Nice thing with QC is that you can move the blocks around with your finger like a phone.

Continuing off topic, I think what reminds me of Refused with Turnstile is the blend of hardcore with experimentation. They blended in samples, loops, electronic elements to a pretty damn aggressive sound. Wasn't something I heard before.

I'm not debating whether The Ramone's are "punk" or not. They surely are - by definition, at this point. Then again, "punk" can mean anything from Suicidal Tendencies to Andy Warhol, so... :idk All I'm saying is they sound silly to me.
I get it. Really that's the only place where that sort of bubblegum influence wants to creep into my musical tastebuds :bag

I guess, but if you look at Headrush and TMP, whether you like them or not, they ate still doing their own thing. Guess just still griping about the QC UX
I actually just watched and Andertons vid comparing
TMP, Headrush , Helix , Kemper and QC

While the Headrush and TMP maybe had the best or flashiest UI they also had that worst tones

Kemper did surprisingly well considering it’s like 15 years old , it was very close to the QC, the Kemper to me sounded a lil darker on the Marshall mods and a bit more compressed

The QC to me I know a lot of comments are that it is harsh in the top end but I kind of like that to be it’s just more open and I prefer a brighter tone and a tighter low with attack that probably why I like the QC in shootouts as it caters to be characteristics I like

The Helix is a great unit but it was introduced June 11 2015
It’s almost 9 year old and probably 5 or 6 years in development prior
It think the GUI was way ahead of its time but now people are improving on that

it is still one of the largest in size And with the additions of poly pitch and new amp models it is starting to lack power

In its defence I looked at the sheer list of effects and models and IMO they have almost got all the bases covered
It does not need anymore delays rev drives
There are a few outstanding amps perhaps but for me
I think they have pretty much completed that project and if there is another HX device

I would like to see tweaked UI
If you are going touch screen
Make it better more responsive than anything else

Make it more compact

Up the CPU so that you can use a poly pitch and 2 or 3 amps

Just my thoughts

Turnstile is awesome. You can bob your head but it’s also generally uplifting music.

I’ve put this one on repeat cruising home zoned out on more than a few occasions. Probably my favorite track by them…

Janes Addiction needs someone to hold their beer.....

I love Janes Addiction and got to see them live last year (incredible). Absolutely they don't get enough credit for pioneering alternative rock in the late 80's. I'd love for more modern bands to get directly inspired from them.

Janes Addiction is a band that really gets zero credit for anything. Yet I hear shades of Perry Farrell or melodies he would come up with in a lot of things.

All of the newer (this century) music I gravitate to ends up being a mash up of mostly Zeppelin, Tool, and JA. (y)

You guys also get into The Mars Volta?

Blasphemy to some; but there was a LOT of Durst melodies back in the day that gave me a serious Farrell vibe.

Back