NDSP Quad Cortex

I’d probably dig some Turnstile if I dug in a bit more. Skipping around that track above, they get into some poppy elements that kinda grates on my ears, going in the opposite direction of why I dig Knocked Loose so much. Once it got into that “Mystery” section with that play on the millennial whoop chorus…..

cat face GIF

There’s a hard line for me between a catchy/melodic chorus and that bullshit.

Their second album Time and Space is a lot more hardcore punk where the newer one Glow On is a little more experimental with ambient and dream pop mixed in. Both pretty cool.
I had my time in punk bands in the 90`s ( singing and guitar ) but i strugle to listen to `punk` with new bands, hehe. The song started really cool!
I used love Descendents, Bad Religion, NOFX, Sense Field, Face to Face, Leatherface, Black Flag.
And after that hardcore punk`isj was the thing, like Refused and stuff.

It`s wierd, but now a listen to Messhugga, Synth Pop :rofl , and Tool, and Opeth and Porcupine Tree, Rollins Band, and alot of Post Metal stuff
But I love me some Leatherface!

I love this song... goosebumps

You weren't kidding about those Knocked Loose vocals. Absolutely not my thing. I've never really cared for anything labeled under "hardcore" or "post-punk".

QC owners: is it me or is the whole headphone experience just off on the QC? Levels are all over the place (will try with high impedance headphones) and sound is either harsh with no headroom or just lower volume after applying a bunch of high cuts. The FM3 has an excellent headphone amp IMO (certainly making up for the AX8, lol).

Thoughts?

QC owners: is it me or is the whole headphone experience just off on the QC? Levels are all over the place (will try with high impedance headphones) and sound is either harsh with no headroom or just lower volume after applying a bunch of high cuts. The FM3 has an excellent headphone amp IMO (certainly making up for the AX8, lol).

Thoughts?
Hmmm, I`ve never had a better headphone listenling experience with some other modeler then the QC. I think I lover the HP level down a bit, and maybe the Multi OUT. hmmm I think
IMG_20240510_144842.jpg

I mean, maybe? Seems like FAS, Boss and even Ampero, et al have done things differently. None scream Helix to me. Rant over lol
True, but I think you need to look at the timelines with some of these products. (And not just whether they're different, but whether they're better or worse.) Like yeah, FAS looks very different from HX (and by way of extension QC) because FAS has looked more or less the same for a thousand years. Same for most of Boss' products (except for that one time Roland went with a Q-Bert theme for no discernable... you know the drill.) This stuff is going to look different to newer products to extent that it looks dated.

As things move forward, it doesn't surprise me to see UIs converging toward a place where they're sensible and easy on the eyes. A lot of this is universal, and the rest tends to be arbitrarily standardized over time. This helps reduce learning curves - especially important at point of sale. The only time I expect a radical departure in UI is when there's a radical departure in hardware or feature set.

Hmmm, I`ve never had a better headphone listenling experience with some other modeler then the QC. I think I lover the HP level down a bit, and maybe the Multi OUT. hmmm I think
View attachment 22699
I’m using ATX-M40x headphones which sounded fantastic with the FM3 and great through my Motu M2. In fact, if I reroute the QC through the M2 and use that headphone amp it sounds better.

I have HP Level down to -8db and Multi-out to -3db + high cuts and that has improved the sound, but still with not a lot of headroom. Will keep trying though

True, but I think you need to look at the timelines with some of these products. (And not just whether they're different, but whether they're better or worse.) Like yeah, FAS looks very different from HX (and by way of extension QC) because FAS has looked more or less the same for a thousand years. Same for most of Boss' products (except for that one time Roland went with a Q-Bert theme for no discernable... you know the drill.) This stuff is going to look different to newer products to extent that it looks dated.

As things move forward, it doesn't surprise me to see UIs converging toward a place where they're sensible and easy on the eyes. A lot of this is universal, and the rest tends to be arbitrarily standardized over time. This helps reduce learning curves - especially important at point of sale. The only time I expect a radical departure in UI is when there's a radical departure in hardware or feature set.
I guess, but if you look at Headrush and TMP, whether you like them or not, they ate still doing their own thing. Guess just still griping about the QC UX

I guess, but if you look at Headrush and TMP, whether you like them or not, they ate still doing their own thing. Guess just still griping about the QC UX
Also true. I guess at this point I would ask: at what cost are these companies embracing differentiation for its own sake? Particularly with the TMP, which clearly trades practical functionality for eye candy. (I don't know much about the Headrush.)

At the end of the day, these are all competing products, and one has to assume that the designers of each of them will have had a hard look at any previous competition. Are we supposed to expect them to intentionally move backwards from there?

I’d probably dig some Turnstile if I dug in a bit more. Skipping around that track above, they get into some poppy elements that kinda grates on my ears, going in the opposite direction of why I dig Knocked Loose so much. Once it got into that “Mystery” section with that play on the millennial whoop chorus…..

cat face GIF

There’s a hard line for me between a catchy/melodic chorus and that bullshit.
Mystery is the reason I love them :chef :ROFLMAO:

#gettingwarmer

Though I have to say: when Mystery cued up right behind Holiday, my first reaction was, "Didn't I just hear this?"

Some very heavy grooves interspersed throughout, though.
^That was the first bit of their music I heard. It reminded me of when I first heard the Blue album from Weezer back in 90 whatever. And not the GD Buddy Holly song but stuff like my My Name is Jonas and In My Garage. Not the same style at all so much as this sort of punk adjacent pop melancholy and longing with some rockin' parts interspersed.

Turnstile has that "let's use a marimba beat over slow-ish hardcore riffs" in spots and I actually dig the heck out of that approach. They are, in true today fashion; looong in the tooth because god forbid a new band hold your attention longer than 2 weeks but I still love it. I tried their previous material and the newer stuff that've put out since (which in and of itself is weird because they have this oddball timeline where it always seems kinda murky where they are as a band). The tunes I really gravitate to are all in that video-ep-wtfever you want to call it.

I’m using ATX-M40x headphones which sounded fantastic with the FM3 and great through my Motu M2. In fact, if I reroute the QC through the M2 and use that headphone amp it sounds better.

I have HP Level down to -8db and Multi-out to -3db + high cuts and that has improved the sound, but still with not a lot of headroom. Will keep trying though
Ahh I have the AT M50, and it sounds reall good, listening to music true the QC and stuff. I never hicut
This is how high my Spotify hits my QC ( looking at the XLR page) and the USB page

IMG_20240510_151402 (1).jpg

IMG_20240510_151417.jpg

Back