Soldano SLO vs modelers

I personally would try the new SLO model they added imo
The first SLO, Recto and VH4 in the QC were very poor
I know many complained after the plug in released and they updated it , I have not heard as many complaints since then , so if you are using the legacy model yep it sucks

Is there another stock SLO model? I didn't know and I didn't see it.

I believe it auto selects the new one if you are up to date on firmware. The updated model is not a separate model to choose from. Once you select the SLO, click on the amp block settings and there should be a version option.

I do think the ability to select an old model vs new is cool. They did this to the TS808 as well.

Last edited:
Another option just for fun if you have time try the plug in version on the free trial if it is 50% better at least in the future it will be available to you in the X version and you can just forgot about the QC

My theory is they did a pretty good job on the el34 amps but for some reason the AI struggled with the 6l6 hi gain
My reason for this is in the original release they used the 5153 34 stealth when 90% of people would think 5153 would be 6l6
Same thing w 6505 they chose an el34 version

The worst amps imo were the 6l6 Mesa Recto, Mesa Tremo
SLO , it’s also intresting that those specific amps use cold clipping which make the gain structure a bit different

I believe it auto selects the new one if you are up to date on firmware. The updated model is not a separate model to choose from. Once you select the SLO, click on the amp block settings and there should be a version option.

I do think the ability to select an old model vs new is cool. They did this to the TS808 as well.

I see, I just used the latest version (default)

So… conclusion: the old SLO model in the QC was exceptionally bad, the new one is moderately bad.

Not Bad Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Yes just waiting for the verdict on the X SLO now to see if it has improved to “tolerable “
IMO the original SLO plugin is actually really good. if I were to buy a NDSP plugin, it would be at the top of my list.

Which makes it all the more baffling why the QC can't sound like that without using captures.

The old SLO's didn't sound like that. They sounded much more solid and less flabby with a very forward midrange.
Yes, I always have found it hilarous when people try to explain away the horrible QC SLO model by saying it is "accurate" but only blows because the amp they modeled is the thing that "sucks"...

i.e. rather than BAD licensed version (in the plug), the model is lame because it is accurate to the OG Hand Built by Mike Soldano himself SLO, with the Mythical DeYoung transformers, mill-spec components, and all... You know the one that is one of the most iconic and legendary amplifiers ever made and has fueled the Soldano mystique for decades? Yeah that one: It's horrible.

LOL.

Theory A: Digital model is highly accurate but sounds terrible because because the analog amp it emulates, in actuality, sucks
Theory B: Digital model is poor rendition of a great analog amp.

I'm guessing B

Last edited:
Yes, I always have found it hilarous when people try to explain away the horrible QC SLO model by saying it is "accurate" but only blows because the amp they modeled is the thing that "sucks"...

i.e. rather than BAD licensed version (in the plug), the model is lame because it is accurate to the OG Hand Built by Mike Soldano himself SLO, with the Mythical DeYoung transformers, mill-spec components, and all... You know the one that is one of the most iconic and legendary amplifiers ever made and has fueled the Soldano mystique for decades? Yeah that one: It's horrible.

LOL.

Theory A: Digital model is highly accurate but sounds terrible because because the analog amp it emulates, in actuality, sucks

I'm guessing B
Bill Paxton Smile GIF by GritTV

LOL.

I'm guessing B
Theory C: The amp is broken in some way, yet works.

Theory C: The amp is broken in some way, yet works.
Yes, of course.. but there have been enough bad to mediocre models in the QC that while that theory is possible; it still makes me lean toward B. One would assume they'd just fix the amp if it was so clearly off. There's also a lot of history in general for models not being one to one with typical specimens of the thing they are modeling since nothing is ever perfectly accurate (except the most recent version of the AxeFx model of any given amp (that is, until the next firmware update)).

Back