Strymon BigSky MX

RV-500 is ok and I have had it before and wouldn't mind one back again someday for a different type of sound flavor, but it's nowhere near the quality of h90 reverbs, meris mercury x, bigsky, ventris etc..

The problem there is, the RV-500 largely sounds like metallic ass. I like the RV-3 and RV-5, but I don't want 12 models that all sound like those two pedals. There isn't enough variety on the RV-500 at all, despite the different modes. They all have the same character and same core Boss tonality. Also the 10second limitation for the decay length puts it firmly into the bread-and-butter category. It doesn't compete with the BigSky at all really.

The Source Audio Ventris allows two reverbs at once, and sounds better than the BigSky and the RV-500!! :bonk
There are tone controls on the repeat, it’s pretty easy to tailor your tone.

The H90 sounds awful.
1000044734.gif

Ok Reverb IR lovers! I have been saving reverb ir's for couple years and still had my folder with over 3,000 reverb ir's which is around 5.88gb's worth of stuff! Sharing it all for anyone that wants it. I'll keep the link up for awhile... Have fun with these in the bigsky mx!!

So I found this posted by strymon over on strymon instagram for those who wants to know what MX stands for...

"MX stands for multiprocessor! BigSky MX features multiple CPUs, which is how we can achieve dual algorithms, 10s IR processing and more."

So I found this posted by strymon over on strymon instagram for those who wants to know what MX stands for...

"MX stands for multiprocessor! BigSky MX features multiple CPUs, which is how we can achieve dual algorithms, 10s IR processing and more."

I wish they would have refreshed the Big Sky with the new real space algo’s and LED and then left the MX to be the dual reverb and IR verb box.

Got some info back from strymon support!

"
Sorry for the delay with this info.

It is best to keep the IR management on BigSky MX at a maximum of 60 folders that contain a maximum of 50 IR files each. The BigSky MX firmware may not be able to handle too many IRs within a single folder, so it is best to stay within these limits. Our documentation and software will be updated to reflect these limits.

Also, we have seen some reports of people having trouble with MIDI control of BigSky. We have been able to control BigSky MX via MIDI with the shipping firmware (v0191) and all versions since. For the latest firmware, including a fix for issues regarding MIDI channel, you can update the pedal using our Strymon Update software. Anyone who is having trouble with MIDI control should try updating their firmware to see if that helps.

https://www.strymon.net/support/strymon-update-2/

Anyone that continues to have trouble should contact our support team directly with as much detail as possible to help us provide better support.

Lastly, IR uploading and management is functional in the latest version of Nixie 2:

https://www.strymon.net/support/nixie-2/

Cheers!
Hugo Merida
Strymon Engineering"

Ok Reverb IR lovers! I have been saving reverb ir's for couple years and still had my folder with over 3,000 reverb ir's which is around 5.88gb's worth of stuff! Sharing it all for anyone that wants it. I'll keep the link up for awhile... Have fun with these in the bigsky mx!!

Dude, are you like totally mad or something?
You are now officially responsible for wasting at least a day of my precious time! Or maybe weeks - until all those reverb tails have stopped ringing.

It is best to keep the IR management on BigSky MX at a maximum of 60 folders that contain a maximum of 50 IR files each.

Wow, that's a whole lot.
Factoring pretty much everything I may need in (and considering t that this thing has excellent algorithmic verbs as well), also given that the IR portion comes with decent envelope tweaking option, I might possibly need like one folder for my frog orchestras, toilet flush ensembles, plastic bag noises and what not.

---

Btw, I want this with a dual engine allowing you to choose between delay and reverbs per engine. I'd start saving up instantly.

Back