Leon Todd

Saw the Vid looks like you guys were having a blast as always , and yes Carbon Fiber for the win :)
Did you guys get to watch the YJM show and hang out ?

He had VERY strict demands regarding backstage access so we got to watch the show but had to keep our distance. His band was cool though.

Is less more?

J/k did you get any chance to talk gear with Yngwie?

Got to hang with his tech after the last show and get a close up look at some of the gear. Also managed to grab a few hundred dropped picks :rofl

Did opening up for him change the way you played any? Congrats on what I’m sure was an insane experience.

Not really, if anything I tried to play more like myself if that makes sense? The focus for us is always the songs rather than guitar pyrotechnics.

Pretty sure Leon can't hear us right now...... or at anytime in the foreseeable future. :unsure:

Accurate. His Melbourne show was the loudest gig I can remember hearing. People were leaving because it was so loud!

Cool! How about one more? When do we get to see you, Leon, with some Mutton Chops??

season 4 fear of the krabby patty GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Let us see and feel the Burn, LT!!! :beer

Accurate. His Melbourne show was the loudest gig I can remember hearing. People were leaving because it was so loud!

I took my sons who play guitar, bass, piano, sax and trumpet to hear him at a medium/small sized club years ago. It was so loud my ears hurt.

I stupidly had not brought ear plugs so we all grabbed some paper napkins off the table and used them to plug our ears. It helped but not a lot.

I've never had to do that in my life, even when seeing Blue Cheer live or sitting 15' in front of Hendrix's three full stacks.

I took my sons who play guitar, bass, piano, sax and trumpet to hear him at a medium/small sized club years ago. It was so loud my ears hurt.

I stupidly had not brought ear plugs so we all grabbed some paper napkins off the table and used them to plug our ears. It helped but not a lot.

I've never had to do that in my life, even when seeing Blue Cheer live or sitting 15' in front of Hendrix's three full stacks.

Yup. He's notorious. I honestly wonder what some other people in the "industry" think
of his uhmmm.... ways. Does he even have friends?

I saw him in 1987 in an Arena opening for Iron Maiden. Maiden were on the Somewhere
In Time Tour. Yngwie had the loudest, most blatantly obnoxious guitar tone I have ever
heard in my life. It drowned out EVERYTHING! I couldn't imagine trying to sing with/for
that guy.

Maiden comes on, and it was amazing... and also felt less loud. How does someone withstand
that kind of aural abuse for 40+ years is beyond me. :idk

Yup. He's notorious. I honestly wonder what some other people in the "industry" think
of his uhmmm.... ways. Does he even have friends?
Managing temperamental artists needs finesse for sure, but as long as they are not a complete douche to everyone, and keep making everyone money it's probably fine.

I saw him in 1987 in an Arena opening for Iron Maiden. Maiden were on the Somewhere
In Time Tour. Yngwie had the loudest, most blatantly obnoxious guitar tone I have ever
heard in my life. It drowned out EVERYTHING! I couldn't imagine trying to sing with/for
that guy.

Maiden comes on, and it was amazing... and also felt less loud. How does someone withstand
that kind of aural abuse for 40+ years is beyond me. :idk
Someone posted a Motörhead video in another thread where the soundman goes "Lemmy has surprisingly good ears despite having subjected himself to all that volume for so many years."

Maybe it's some kind of genetic superpower, being able to withstand extreme volumes without going deaf? Kind of like how some artists have been able to do copious amounts of drugs without dying.

Alternatively...they are already half deaf so just to hear themselves they keep turning up more and more.

I've seen Motörhead and I've seen YJM (twice) and there's no comparison. Motörhead was whisper quiet in comparison. (Though this was a small venue shortly before Lemmy passed, and it's likely the band had quieted down some by then.)

The first time I saw YJM he was opening for Dio. It was a no re-entry show. YJM was so absurdly loud it didn't even register as "sound" let alone music. It was more of a physical thing, like standing in front of a jet engine while someone hit your teeth with a hammer. It was so unpleasant that I (and the dude I arrived with) decided we should just leave (forfeiting my only chance to see Dio live.)

The second time I saw YJM I brought earplugs, which did help with the volume of his electric rig. But his ice pick acoustic tone - from a nylon string guitar - was still uncomfortably shrill.

I've seen Motörhead and I've seen YJM (twice) and there's no comparison. Motörhead was whisper quiet in comparison. (Though this was a small venue shortly before Lemmy passed, and it's likely the band had quieted down some by then.)

The first time I saw YJM he was opening for Dio. It was a no re-entry show. YJM was so absurdly loud it didn't even register as "sound" let alone music. It was more of a physical thing, like standing in front of a jet engine while someone hit your teeth with a hammer. It was so unpleasant that I (and the dude I arrived with) decided we should just leave (forfeiting my only chance to see Dio live.)

The second time I saw YJM I brought earplugs, which did help with the volume of his electric rig. But his ice pick acoustic tone - from a nylon string guitar - was still uncomfortably shrill.

Yeah, it's a fucking mystery why it needs to be that loud. It ruins the experience. And yeah, it
ceases to be music and registers as a blatant and obnoxious ego trip. Or he's just oblivious
and has no fucks to give about what any of us think. :idk

Yeah, it's a fucking mystery why it needs to be that loud. It ruins the experience. And yeah, it
ceases to be music and registers as a blatant and obnoxious ego trip. Or he's just oblivious
and has no fucks to give about what any of us think. :idk
Truth. And I'm usually the guy complaining that house sound is too quiet. It takes a lot before I'm like, "Nah, this is just abusive."

Back