Tales from.. ..The StrapLab!

Been a while since I've tooled anything, couple weeks. I can kind of tell when my left hand starts to stiffen up, I need to get at it a bit more... keep them chops up, just like fretting chords. This morning I finally got after a concept I've been ruminating about for maybe a year or so.

This is my second stab at the "Waylon" strap. There's only so many guitar straps out there I'd call "iconic," this style is definitely in the top ten, maybe top five. Definitely when it comes to skills and detail required. This particular one isn't a custom order, so it will eventually go into the store. That's why it's featuring a bit of a creative adaptation necessary for wider appeal, make it a bit more marketable

RlDLEcYw_o.jpg

I hesitate to show tooling in this stage as all the clams really stand out! But once it's all smoothed over,
dyed, decorative cuts, antiqued, buffed out and clear coated with the buckstitching, it's gonna look pretty flash!

VkJV7Tlk_o.jpg

So many tight corners to hit on those western letter outlines, and these maple leaves. Getting inside with with the bevel tool without wrecking
anything is not easy, and I'm definitely not the most skilled leather tooler, so this kind of work is really great practice for a fella like me.
Then that crazy high contrast buckstitching that comes later on... that work is really challenging, and kind of hard on the hands!

So there I was, just plugging away when suddenly, things went black!

4GenvCiD_o.jpg

Next will be to let this all set in overnight, then I'll get at what needs to be made white with the leather paint.
Going to take several coats, as white on black does take a bit extra to cover. Will continue on this next week.
Maybe over the weekend a little bit if the honey do list isn't too crazy.

Hope your list isn't too crazy and you get some chill time in my brothers!

Are you ready for the country?

ZY6WKsDd_o.jpg

If you're itchin' to make the opry, this probably ain't the strap you wanna wear. Pays homage to one of the most-despised "outlaws" of the 70's and 80's country scene, who grew their hair and just generally raised far too much Hell to be considered worthy of the established Nashville cadre of the day

mYsPC2xm_o.jpg

9 oz. leather, heavy duty vegtan, buckstitching in white leather. It's also padded and lined so that buckstitch won't irritate your back as
much as most versions of this strap. Ladderback, 45"-58" - Pretty badass if I do say so myself.

UkriF2xj_o.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a Leather guy and make guitar straps. You *may* want one someday if you see 'em. So take that into consideration.

I'm new here, so I went over the TGF rules, didn't seem to be anything against it, but I figured I'd ask before being
outted as an evil capitalistic spam-spewer. Iron1's recent "Five Crosses" strap was born on my bench.

But I do wish to convey I am also a guitar gear brother, crappy songwriter, and pretty non-serious musician too,
As well, I have customized a good number of guitars with some pretty non-standard finish treatments.
If allowed to post my work, I promise to keep myself mostly to myself on one thread, but I can say some in the
past have found my long-running shop threads somewhat entertaining and edumicational.
Maybe my work might be more preferred in the "Ask Me Anything" section. Let me know.!

For example, here is a padded floating pad strap I made out of baby leopard patterned hair-on cowhide.
Some might say, "Slow down, Brad! Too. Damn. Far. Nobody's done anything that before, that's crazy!"
I think it works pretty ok.

PEMYH92k_o.jpg
That's awesome! It's great to connect with fellow guitar enthusiasts and musicians. Your custom guitar work sounds really interesting, and I'm sure many would find it both entertaining and educational. Posting in the "Ask Me Anything" section sounds like a good idea, where people can engage and ask questions about your projects. Looking forward to seeing your work!

The story behind this rage-coloured feral Ostrich hide is found on the Well-Hung reverb page.

pedXAHwm_o.jpg

Your bandmates will hate this sling. Will immediately draw all crowd attention off them, towards whatever you're doing, even if just standing.
Wanna stay out of the limelight, blend in? This ain't your strap. how about this one @murphy brown ? Hot enough for ya?

O6XwSlw9_o.jpg

It's a very striking fiery red, semi-matte, with a black leather bolt up front. Maxes out around 56" - nicely padded body.
Really heavy black leather nose, ladder and tail on this here very angry bird.

Last edited:
The story behind this rage-coloured feral Ostrich hide is found on the Well-Hung reverb page.

pedXAHwm_o.jpg

Your bandmates will hate this sling. Will immediately draw all crowd attention off them, towards whatever you're doing, even if just standing.
Wanna stay out of the limelight, blend in? This ain't your strap. how about this one @murphy brown ? Hot enough for ya?

O6XwSlw9_o.jpg

It's a very striking fiery red, semi-matte, with a black leather bolt up front. Maxes out around 56" - nicely padded body.
Really heavy black leather nose, ladder and tail on this here very angry bird.
Fancy leather, we'd love to see a different color.

@murphy brown I would never work with real ostrich leather. Do you know how it's made? How they cruelly get those nipply nubbies on the hide? Unconscionable!

Been a bit of a dream of mine to dabble in latex, or latex-related products - I've been very close to getting a position in that industry,
so with great joy I present to you this next couple of straps I call "Latex Salesman"

WRnFcMsT_o.jpg

both are 3" wide, with a rubberized heavy canvas body, rolled edges and a bolt front and centre. Also the padding, like you'd expect in a Well-Hung strap, and heavy leather on the front and back for security and longevity. But more about that latex. It's all shiny, and grippy, and even a bit clingy, Very strong too! Kind makes a fella feel a bit tingly, to think of it.

iv8VuK9S_o.jpg

Both versions of "Latex Salesman" are one-onlys, and fresh up in the reverb store right now!

I should note upfront there will be no need for you to detail any fetishes you may have if you do contact me,
and I do not normally supply any BDSM related leather gear, (unless, of course, you wish it to be custom-made and can provide detailed measurements and photographs).

42561927-2e93-46ed-9816-678ca7f41444_text.gif

Last edited:
Back