Any of you dudes get banned from TGP?..Why?

FWIW, I have never reported anybody, not even the dude obsessed with my medical history.

But others may report often, I wouldn't know. It has to be a headache dealing with a flurry of Reports, whether they are justified or not.

There are an awful lot of people there who use the report button to silence people they disagree with. Basically, it’s a cancel culture hive. If you don’t stay in lockstep with their narrative, they will do whatever it takes to get you banned.

I have never been banned over there nor have I ever received a warning. I steer clear of the crap as well as I can. If someone disagrees with me, I let them and move on. I know the person would most likely never say those things to my face so I take that into account. There are a lot of keyboard warriors on the internet these days.

Never banned. Just wandered over here when the doors opened up because there's a better vibe, more humor, and fewer people slapping you on the wrist if you veer off topic.

wrong_turn_at_albuquerque_6.png

There are an awful lot of people there who use the report button to silence people they disagree with. Basically, it’s a cancel culture hive. If you don’t stay in lockstep with their narrative, they will do whatever it takes to get you banned.
Exactly! There are a lot of shills over there policing everyone. Offend them or their precious product and they will report you again and again until you are silenced. Watch out for NDSP, they have a lot of shills over there standing guard and they are relentless.

Feels like it's gotten worse over there the last year or two, hence this forum. Hell, Tom Bukovac mentioned in a recent video that he was banned for engaging with some posters who were ragging on his videos.

I rarely visit there, outside of looking up discussions on gear via Google. Sometimes I will take a spin through and comment on stuff, but I never venture into the Pub areas where most of the crap gets stirred up.

Any so-called "guitar forum" that bans Tom is a joke.

:pitchforks

Totally agree. I would get the sense Tom's not going to be sitting on a computer posting all day (like me at my old job), and he may not have the best forum etiquette, but he would likely contribute a hell of a lot of wisdom and insight.

Bukovac wasn't banned, but got a little timeout from a thread, but they came to their senses and reversed it. As per usual there is a few idiots on TOP that just have to try to drive away anyone with a "name" :rolleyes:

Totally agree. I would get the sense Tom's not going to be sitting on a computer posting all day (like me at my old job), and he may not have the best forum etiquette, but he would likely contribute a hell of a lot of wisdom and insight.

The list of truly knowledgeable (and helpful) people who have been run off is pretty extensive, as well as some pretty famous players who got “the treatment” by hive members looking to impress others. Quite unfortunate, but it says a lot about their priorities.

The list of truly knowledgeable (and helpful) people who have been run off is pretty extensive, as well as some pretty famous players who got “the treatment” by hive members looking to impress others. Quite unfortunate, but it says a lot about their priorities.
The social media / hive mind aspect of it takes over, and these people completely lose site of the true purpose of the forum..

Rather than being about improving your own tone & playing, it morphs into this xenophobic club of extremely warped personalities who obsess over excluding certain people from the site.

Fwiw, not directly related but somewhat similar: Native Instruments' socalled "Community" has a kind of social credit system installed. Once your posts get downvoted enough, you receive a warning and an infraction point. Yeah, I'm serious - could hardly believe it myself at first.
I learned that because I dared to argue with two dudes posting complete nonsense (as in scientifically proveable nonsense) - and as those dudes seem to be quite the popular fanboys round NI's parts, my posts all of a sudden got downvoted quite a bit, so I got a PM from a mod, telling me I received a warning and an infraction point. WTF?!? (and btw: you can't even type "wtf" there, either).
Note: I have not violated any forum rules with my posts at all, my only "mistake" was that other (completely unrelated) folks were downvoting my posts.
That smells like self-justice, denouncing city and a pretty totalitarian system all at once (yeah, I know, sounds a bit drastic, but on a smaller scale, it's just that).
They can stick that system up to where the sun never shines, the company is on the way down anyway.

Last edited:
Fwiw, not directly related but somewhat similar: Native Instruments' socalled "Community" has a kind of social credit system installed. Once your posts get downvoted enough, you receive a warning and an infraction point. Yeah, I'm serious - could hardly believe it myself at first.
I learned that because I dared to argue with two dudes posting complete nonsense (as in scientifically proveable nonsense) - and as those dudes seem to be quite the popular fanboys round NI's parts, my posts all of a sudden git downvoted quite a bit, so I got a PM from a mod, telling me I received a warning and an infraction point. WTF?!? (and btw: you can't even type "wtf" there, either).
Note: I have not violated any forum rules with my posts at all, my only "mistake" was that other (completely unrelated) folks were downvoting my posts.
That smells like self-justice, denouncing city and a pretty totalitarian system all at once (yeah, I know, sounds a bit drastic, but on a smaller scale, it's just that).
They can stick that system up to where the sun never shines, the company is on the way down anyway.
The problem with any social media with a downvote system is that instead of "this doesn't add to the conversation or this is completely wrong", it gets used as a "I don't like this" system every single time.

This sort of stuff is how you get echo chambers.

The only forum where I've been banned was one of the (non-official) Fender forums way back in the day. I got banned because I pointed out that the donations they were asking for "site maintenance" were disproportionate. The site was running on a forum software so bad I could whip out a better one in a week, so the only costs they had were server hosting and bandwidth. This was way before things like cloud services were a thing so likely the costs were very low. The forum had an almost cult-like "when should I donate more?" thing going on and I guess I was messing with the gravy train.

I’ve been on forums since 1999 and have only been banned at TGP (as mentioned earlier in this thread). I can’t really blame the mods as much as the dingleberries that report posts. The place is almost as toxic as Reddit.

I’ve been on forums since 1999 and have only been banned at TGP (as mentioned earlier in this thread). I can’t really blame the mods as much as the dingleberries that report posts. The place is almost as toxic as Reddit.

You upset the hive. See, if you stick to their narratives you can get away with quite a bit there. But if they sense that you aren’t on the same page, they will view you as a mortal enemy and do everything they can to eliminate you. I can’t even count how many times various hive minds have tried to goad me into crossing the line so that they can report me and get me banned. They’re like three year olds that are only content if everything is the way they have decided it should be, and they get really fussy when it’s not.

You upset the hive. See, if you stick to their narratives you can get away with quite a bit there. But if they sense that you aren’t on the same page, they will view you as a mortal enemy and do everything they can to eliminate you. I can’t even count how many times various hive minds have tried to goad me into crossing the line so that they can report me and get me banned. They’re like three year olds that are only content if everything is the way they have decided it should be, and they get really fussy when it’s not.
I think you nailed it.

Back