What's Your Dream Amp? - TGF Edition

Compared to the VHX:
What's makes the Soldana Astro not (or less) hideous?
Very similar features... other than it's a smaller, lower-power, less expensive amp... that (instead of a LCD) has an odd "galaxy" LED array?

Compared to the VHX:
What's makes the Soldana Astro not (or less) hideous?

100% honest: was thinking the same thing as I typed that about the VHX. I've already commented here that the knobs are the stupidest ever used and that the silly Saturn with rings and 'moon' IRs is ridiculous, and I really wish I could turn it off - in hindsight, if I'd known the used Mezzabarba was going to show up I never would have bought it and if I'd never have plugged it in I may have just turned it right over.

The tone though - Channel 2 in red mode is Godly.
I will kick myself really hard in the ass if Soldano turns around and comes out with a vanilla version of it. :facepalm

How is the Astro Clean?

Any time I've bought a sub 30w amp, it always sounds "small" (compared to the larger amps).
My favorite clean from any amp I've owned is a toss-up between the Shiva and 20th Shiva.
Thick... rich... and still articulate

Was interested/curious about the Diezel VHX (almost bought it several times)
The YouTube video "demos" of the VHX are *horrible*.
Mostly crappy iPhone recordings...

Decided to pull the trigger... and it arrived yesterday.
Mine came with EL34s.

Note: I'm not a Metal head.
I'm more into Modded Marshall type gain.

The VHX definitely does not sound like crap.
It actually sounds very good.

The Clean and Crunch channels are surprisingly good.
The VHX has one of the nicest clean channels I've heard.
Maybe not quite Shiva/20th Shiva... but not far off.

Crunch channel takes boost/drive pedals well.
Tried a Katana, TS, and Revv G2 (Green).
Not by any means necessary... the VHX has plenty of gain... and there's a 3dB boost.

The first (Blue) drive channel (with gain at ~40%) is getting into higher-gain Rock tone.
The second (Red) drive channel is thicker sounding... with crazy amount of gain on tap.
Transients are well preserved and great string definition... even when gain is set pretty high.

I've been running the VHX thru a MESA 2x12 vertical (v30s)... as well as a Bogner 4x12 (v30s and GBs).
Sounds equally good thru both cabs.
I'm thinking that overall... the VHX is a bit dark sounding. I'm turning up the Treble and Presence a fair bit.
Even so, noise is very reasonable.

The onboard effects are ok. The DI output is mono... so that (for me) takes a lot of the excitement out of the effects.

The onboard tuner is a nice convenience.

The Cab Section that's routed to the DI output sounds pretty decent.
You've got three speakers and four mic choices.
You can also move the mic position.
Not as elaborate as some other Cab sims... but it's easy to use and sounds good.
You can also load your own Cab IRs (via USB connection to computer).
There's no software to load/run... the VHX shows up as a flash-drive... and you just copy the desired IRs to the VHX IR folder.

I'm only 24 hours in... but so far so good.
The entire amp is MIDI programmable... so I grabbed a Quad Cortex to act as MIDI controller (and to be able to Capture).
Want to explore that after I'm more familiar with all the details.
I really want to like the VHX, and it does tempt me. Mainly just to have all of the different Diezel variants in one box, more or less.

But I really don't like the idea of all the digital encoders and the workflow it all implies. The JVM for instance has 12 different modes, more or less 12 different Marshall classic sounds ... and it is really really easy to use. The VHX seems like it might be a ballache, and you always get at least one level of AD/DA conversion, as I understand it... even when not using any of the built in effects.

Eventually you just find a single setting or a set of tubes (probably the ones that came with the amp) that works great and forget all those other options exist.
I mean, slightly different... but again the JVM has 12 modes, and I'd say I use about 9 of them on the regular.

I don't use the OD 'mid-shift' at all. I don't really like it very much.

yeah but if JVM had digital encoders that would mean you can use all 12 modes simultaneously. I doubt you don't want to touch tone controls when switching colors.

But I really don't like the idea of all the digital encoders and the workflow it all implies. The JVM for instance has 12 different modes, more or less 12 different Marshall classic sounds ... and it is really really easy to use. The VHX seems like it might be a ballache, and you always get at least one level of AD/DA conversion, as I understand it... even when not using any of the built in effects.

I've owned the JVM410.

I get the apprehension about the VHX. Diezel's UI (knob positions - even on their traditional amps) is a bit weird.
FWIW, I don't find the VXH any more difficult to use than the JVM.
To switch channels, you simply push the top control knob. Each push changes the channel (green, yellow, blue, red).
The second control knob: Turn to change Shape parameter or enable Bright switch (Yellow channel), push to change between the four voices (Vintage, Early, Classic, Modern).
The Tone-Stack, Presence/Deep, and Volume knobs all stay consistent (you can see the value of each numerically and graphically).
To enable the Boost, you just push the Volume knob.

I wish the onboard effects could be switched to parallel.
I don't notice any sound degradation.
The transient-response of the amp certainly isn't blurred. It's very tight.
Someone described the VHX as being a bit "stiff" compared to more vintage amps. I'd agree with that.
BAD is sharing tech between the various brands it distributing. IRX, Astro, and VHX all have similar features.

I sold my 20th Ecstasy (to fund other gear).
It took me several days to choose between another 20th Ecstasy and the VHX.
In a perfect world... I'd have the VHX, 20th Ecstasy, 20th Shiva, and BE-100 Deluxe. :bonk

Were you the Jim who had the 20th on Craigslist?

Staring George Costanza GIF

I'd definitely love a LAB Series L5 solid-state platform (open-back 2x12") with the tone stack of a vintage V-Series Ampeg.
Thinking about this again, I wonder if we'd ever see a proper L5 reissue.

It wouldn't be too much of a hassle, considering it's a solid-state amp with a good reputation. The circuit isn't far out at all, except for a few "exotic" but minor quirks.

Hell, I'd probably buy that, even if it's just to put mine to rest after 45 years of service.

Back