What's An "Enforcer Track" ?

I've never heard of that term, but I'd guess it is a track that helps accentuate something; another track, another instrument, the hook, a buildup, the chorus, etc... i.e. it enforces whatever that thing is.

Reactions: PLX
I've never heard of that term, but I'd guess it is a track that helps accentuate something; another track, another instrument, the hook, a buildup, the chorus, etc... i.e. it enforces whatever that thing is.
Exactly, but I'm trying to learn more specifics about using this technique.

If it’s what I think you are referring to, Listen to the latest The Gear Podcast episode with Chris Baseford.
The guy I see talking about it is using it specifically on doubled guitar tracks, but placing either an EQ or a cocked-wah on only one track and referring to this as the "enforcer track" to the other guitar track.

:farley

The guy I see talking about it is using it specifically on doubled guitar tracks, but placing either an EQ or a cocked-wah on only one track and referring to this as the "enforcer track" to the other guitar track.

I have never heard that term before. Not really different than doubling with a different amp or cab.

Chris Baseford does something similar by adding a third or fourth guitar track to increase saturation to make a chorus or bridge stand out from the verse or other parts that are only doubled, in order to create a sort of “climax.”

I have never heard that term before. Not really different than doubling with a different amp or cab.

Chris Baseford does something similar by adding a third or fourth guitar track to increase saturation to make a chorus or bridge stand out from the verse or other parts that are only doubled, in order to create a sort of “climax.”
Yeah, I always double my recorded rhythm parts and pan one hard left and the other hard right.

That sounds fat.. but this trick appear to sort of "contain" the guitar's sound (for lack of a better term).

Yeah, I always double my recorded rhythm parts and pan one hard left and the other hard right.

That sounds fat.. but this trick appear to sort of "contain" the guitar's sound (for lack of a better term).

I know you know this, but throwing it out there for fun and anyone else:

For fun, try triple tracking (Rhoads Ozzy etc):

You'll be playing the same thing 3 times.

Mix it: panned hard LEFT & RIGHT with CENTER 3-6db quieter

For even more fun, try quasi-quad tracking with stereo micropitch (Sykes Whitesnake etc):

You'll be playing the same thing 2 times, with stereo micropitch on top, creating a stereo track for each.

Mix it: slap both stereo tracks on top of each other.

For even even more more fun, try real quad tracking with stereo micropitch (Sykes Whitesnake etc):

You'll be playing the same thing 4 times.

Mix it: pan 2 tracks hard LEFT & 2 tracks hard RIGHT, then pipe all 4 tracks to stereo micropitch

Also to note: panning here is just a suggestion. You could do 90% instead of full, for example.

Next ( and last ) thing you know, Satriani and Vai are waiting for you, on your couch, when you return from your next gig.
I don't own a couch, but I see where this is going.

• Haha
Reactions: SKU
Next ( and last ) thing you know, Satriani and Vai are waiting for you, on your couch, when you return from your next gig.

That mostly can be handled with ease.

It's when the Logginses and McDonalds show up that all hell breaks loose.

20140214062925%21Kenny_Loggins.jpg

98ccef32188012c2101bb52e791c7a34.jpg

I typically run two tracks left and two right, and one on each side is a Telecaster with a clean or slightly hairy tone to it. Blend that very carefully with a distorted track, and it really makes things pop.

Reactions: PLX
Every producer has their ways of going about enhancing guitars. Hetfield called it “The thickener” when talking about a 3rd track Bob Rock had him put down on The Black Album. @norminal, that’s pretty similar to how Cantrell tracked guitars on Facelift and Dirt, including the Tele part. It’s actually pretty surprising how a barely distorted guitar can blend so well with a distorted one and not seem jarring in any way.

Every producer has their ways of going about enhancing guitars. Hetfield called it “The thickener” when talking about a 3rd track Bob Rock had him put down on The Black Album. @norminal, that’s pretty similar to how Cantrell tracked guitars on Facelift and Dirt, including the Tele part. It’s actually pretty surprising how a barely distorted guitar can blend so well with a distorted one and not seem jarring in any way.
I think we've all mixed a 3rd un-effected, clean, DI guitar track in between two hard-panned crunchy guitars as well..

That can be magical.

Back