What Did You Do With Your Guitar(s) Today?

Placed my new Ampeg PF-50T in my amp rack on a pull out shelf. This so I can reach the power and standby on/off switches in the back. Put new Rotosounds on my MIM Jazz Bass. Made the room rumble and shake for a couple hours there after.

rs=w:1440,h:1440

While I’m on vacation this week I only had one playing goal, to finish learning “Cliffs Of Dover”, which I’m still going to do, but I had a couple ideas pop into my head this morning when I started to work on it. There’s a ton of solos and songs that when I was starting out I’d say to myself “When I grow up I wanna be able to play ________” and lately I’ve been having more fun getting nostalgic with stuff like that than I have been writing/recording, so I think I’m going to make a video series out of it. It can be summed up as “Guy who stopped caring about technical guitar playing 20 years ago decides he wants to learn some technical guitar songs” and I mostly want to document the challenges I have in the process and how I get past them.

”Cliffs” is going to be a work in progress, I need more instant gratification to keep me focused on this so I picked a solo I’ve wanted to learn for decades and have attempted a couple times but gave up almost instantly because I could never get the feel of it, but today I broke past the hurdle point I always gave up at and that’s all I needed. Going in chunks, but when I edit the videos together later on it’ll show how I tackle this stuff then fuck it up relentlessly until I happen to land on it right.

Uncle Ben gave it shot. The intro reminded me of your video. 😂

Set up my CE-24 today. The weather’s warming up and it was due for a truss rod adjustment, fret polishing and fingerboard cleaning.

Decided to try a set of 9-46’s instead of my usual 10-46’s. So far I’m digging the looser feel of the unwound strings, while still having the heavier wound ones for the chugs.

CE6E398A-18B7-405A-BBF3-CC950BAB467C.jpeg

Just spent the last three hours shooting IRs of my favorite Helix cab sim favorites so I can use them in my FM3. The Helix cabs are seriously underrated. There are so many of them and so many mic choices. Worth the price of Helix Native alone IMO.

Decided to rewire my Les Paul over the weekend, again. I changed out strings because it was sounding super dull. But then it was dull with the new strings too, so I swapped in some other pickups. Still dull. I had a "solderless" kit in there with 50's wiring and not sure what the values of the pots are at this point.

Decided to put in some fresh high resistance pots with modern wiring and treble bleed. Got a set of four 525k CTS pots, and they all measured between 530-540k which is good. Wired them up with my "old" Switchcraft toggle switch and input jack. Also took the covers off the Wolfetone PAF's and put in some degaussed alnico 5 magnets to try and maximize the clarity.

Guitar sounds really nice now! Lots of little < 5% changes that add up.

Decided to rewire my Les Paul over the weekend, again. I changed out strings because it was sounding super dull. But then it was dull with the new strings too, so I swapped in some other pickups. Still dull. I had a "solderless" kit in there with 50's wiring and not sure what the values of the pots are at this point.

Decided to put in some fresh high resistance pots with modern wiring and treble bleed. Got a set of four 525k CTS pots, and they all measured between 530-540k which is good. Wired them up with my "old" Switchcraft toggle switch and input jack. Also took the covers off the Wolfetone PAF's and put in some degaussed alnico 5 magnets to try and maximize the clarity.

Guitar sounds really nice now! Lots of little < 5% changes that add up.
Damn! That is doing wtf-ever it takes for toanz! Bravo!

Damn! That is doing wtf-ever it takes for toanz! Bravo!

It's funny because every time I want to do a guitar, I think "maybe I'll just get a good wiring harness". Then I look at the prices of wiring harnesses, and make my own!

I really took my time with it, made a little cardboard cutout for the pots, and wired up outside the guitar. So only had to add the switch and pickups. Even then, it started out really clean then by the end I had some excess wire just kind of tucked in there lol

It's funny because every time I want to do a guitar, I think "maybe I'll just get a good wiring harness". Then I look at the prices of wiring harnesses, and make my own!

I really took my time with it, made a little cardboard cutout for the pots, and wired up outside the guitar. So only had to add the switch and pickups. Even then, it started out really clean then by the end I had some excess wire just kind of tucked in there lol
Oh don't blame you, if you can solder there's no reason to pay for a harness.

I should probably try that cutout trick, have though about it in the past but always solder "in place" - which can be a bit cramped at times!

Having excess wire is a good thing :grin

If Obsidian wire made some for my Godin or for my Revstar id def get them
But seems its only for Gibson family and Fender family of guitars

:idk

Back