Strymon BigSky MX

That's what the favorite section is good for! If you got a effect block you love and wanna keep, add it there and then go change things around and if you don't want something new, add it back in from the favorites!
It helps, but doesn't fix the "so, I was dinking around making a patch and stumbled onto a delay time in ms that I like with a feedback rate that I like but want to hear what it would sound like if it were analog instead of tape." situation. Basically, everything about HX workflow is great for stuff that one has pre-planned. Not great for "experimenting" "on the fly" to "create art" in Madison Square Bedroom.

L6 could at least try to do it the Zoom way. When you select a different type of effect within a block and go back to the previous one, the settings are preserved (as long as you stay within the same patch). That's pretty decent already. So you can adjust your Plate reverb first, then go to the Hall version, adjust that and then flip between the two with their settings always staying "as touched the last time".

It helps, but doesn't fix the "so, I was dinking around making a patch and stumbled onto a reverb time in ms that I like with a feedback rate that I like but want to hear what it would sound like if it were analog instead of tape." situation. Basically, everything about HX workflow is great for stuff that one has pre-planned. Not great for "experimenting" "on the fly" to "create art" in Madison Square Bedroom.

Yeah I understand. Back when helix came out I put out an idea on the idea scale for something similar like a "go back" type feature that allows you to tweak something inside the block and then save it in that state and then change the block to something else or change the parameters and then use a "go back" option to switch back and forth between, but i don't think it got many up votes!

Yeah I understand. Back when helix came out I put out an idea on the idea scale for something similar like a "go back" type feature that allows you to tweak something inside the block and then save it in that state and then change the block to something else or change the parameters and then use a "go back" option to switch back and forth between, but i don't think it got many up votes!
Its something so basic to the operation that I feel like if they haven't addressed it at this point -- they've done the debate internally and for whatever reason feel that its more important either because of how things are coded, or from a UX perspective, to have it really feel like "individual models" rather than "delay types" if that makes sense. It sure has that effect if its what they are going for!!! :pitchforks:bonk:bonk

Yay, my dealer just got mine in! I'm hoping to get it later today!

Last edited:
Ok bigsky mx on the way to me now (dealer is my friend and he's dropping it off for me). Sadly I'll only have time to set it up and play it a little for now.

Last edited:
Just my luck, freaking mad right now :\ Waiting all week to get it and i get a broken one.

My dealer said he'll check the other one tomorrow. I hope I can get a working one tomorrow then!

So im not sure what is going on. Got the pedal fired it up and i get these green and red circles that blink around the dial and by the footswitches and then takes 5 minutes for the "strymon" logo to show on screen... and the lights just keep moving.

I wonder if i got a dud :\
How are you powering it? Is it getting enough juice?

Ok so yeah the bigsky mx i got last night still doing the same thing. Red, blue, green lights circle the reverb dial and over the footswitches over and over and then about 3 to 5 mins later "strymon" pops up on the screen but it just doesn't go any further.

So my friend who runs the music shop just tested the other he has and it's working fine and he'll bring it to me later today!

I guess there's going to be duds in everything, but ugh I was the lucky person to get one lol.

BIGSKY MX 5-8-2024.jpg

My quick couple hours with it review. A lot of my opinions will be obvious probably but it is what it is, so here goes...

Playing bigsky mx in single mode with each algorithm is pretty similar to original bigsky, except perhaps a brighter, more polished hi-fi sound from what I remember. I don't have original next too it to compare and only going off memory. Maybe due to different processor etc.

Playing bigsky mx in dual mode is where the fun begins. Mixing algorithms in series, parallel, split etc. That is where I think most people will find the comfort zone to be honest and obviously the reason for this newer version. Pairing Cloud up with Magneto or Bloom and Cloud together or Chorale and Plate. Lowering one in the mix with small decay and let the other one be little louder in the mix but with the decay longer to carry both etc.

Convolution reverbs are fun too! I've been messing with some of mine and I obviously like the more weird ones and yet it gets more weirder when playing with the controls like attack, stretch, reverse and modulation, then pairing that up with another weird IR or algorithm reverb is super fun!

I really like infinite mode. I'll park my happy little butt on infinite mode for everything, and it makes all the algorithm reverbs and convolution reverbs more fun in my opinion.

With all of that said, for anyone still wanting Mercury X, don't sleep on it. I was playing it back and forth between bigsky and it and it's definitely different in a good way and if you're looking to get more strange and more weird stuff along with normal too then Mercury X is where it's at since it's a modular platform and you can pretty much make your own reverb with the tools in it.

I didn't check it against my Ventris yet, but I love this one too. It can be super polished sounding but also drift into the weird / strange side too since it can do dual reverbs and I usually only use it in dual mode because it's more fun.

I also didn't check it against my H90's yet, but that's another one that is great unit with normal and has some weirdness too and definitely different flavor compared in tones / sound compared to mercury x and ventris and bigsky mx, but H90 can do dual reverbs too so you can get more strange / weird if needed.

The end result? They all definitely have their own sound / tone and stuff going on that makes them all unique. GET ALL THE REVERBS :)

Last edited:
My quick couple hours with it review. A lot of my opinions will be obvious probably but it is what it is, so here goes...

Playing bigsky mx in single mode with each algorithm is pretty similar to original bigsky, except perhaps a brighter, more polished hi-fi sound from what I remember. I don't have original next too it to compare and only going off memory. Maybe due to different processor etc.

Playing bigsky mx in dual mode is where the fun begins. Mixing algorithms in series, parallel, split etc. That is where I think most people will find the comfort zone to be honest and obviously the reason for this newer version. Pairing Cloud up with Magneto or Bloom and Cloud together or Chorale and Plate. Lowering one in the mix with small decay and let the other one be little louder in the mix but with the decay longer to carry both etc.

Convolution reverbs are fun too! I've been messing with some of mine and I obviously like the more weird ones and yet it gets more weirder when playing with the controls like attack, stretch, reverse and modulation, then pairing that up with another weird IR or algorithm reverb is super fun!

I really like infinite mode. Don't care for freeze mode to be honest. I'll park my happy little butt on infinite mode for everything, and it makes all the algorithm reverbs and convolution reverbs more fun in my opinion.

With all of that said, for anyone still wanting Mercury X, don't sleep on it. I was playing it back and forth between bigsky and it and it's definitely different in a good way and if you're looking to get more strange and more weird stuff along with normal too then Mercury X is where it's at since it's a modular platform and you can pretty much make your own reverb with the tools in it.

I didn't check it against my H90's, but that's another one that is great with normal and has some weirdness too and definitely different flavor compared in tones / sound compared to mercury x and bigsky mx, but H90 can do dual reverbs too so you can get more strange / weird if needed.

The end result? GET ALL THE REVERBS :)
Can it do a convincing PCM42?

Back