Strymon BigSky MX

Has there been any word on when this thing is going to be shipping? :bag

It's been shipping from various music stores, and many still have some on reverb / ebay etc.
I don't know when Strymon will be shipping them from their own place as I'm also waiting for Strymon to ship to my local dealer so I can get it.
Not sure why they didn't give him a few before launch since he's the only strymon dealer in WV lol.

or without hearing aids which he needs lol :p
Err no. Full feature and even higher tech specs doesn’t mean a lot if the fx sounds like shit. The H90 sounds considerably worse than the factor pedals. Actually using your ears instead of the marketing is a good idea. The old H3000 sounds much better but Eventide never had a reverb that sounded as good as an old PCM.

Without any doubt, this is a quality product, the sounds are stunning as usual, but (as usual, too) I'm wondering who these things are made for, Sure, there's the P&W crowd and then maybe some sidemen for gigs where money is no objection so you alway simply get the best in class on your pedalboard, regardless whether all you ever need is a little plate for some leads or so.
But outside of those, who really "needs" a unit such as this?
Personally, I do occasionally use some faux pedal steel things live, for those I like a nice deep reverb with some delay mixed in. But a unit such as this would be overkill already. And for recording, there's a ton of very suitable plugins, even free ones.
Yeah, I know, there's some "ambient" guitarists - and I like some mad pad-ish soundscaping here and there, too. But see above, plugins are fantastic for that.
As said before, if this came with a delay section, I'd possibly start saving up already, simply because for most of my needs in terms of spatial FX, delays and reverbs are always dealt with simultaneously, so it's great to have them in one unit - which is why I'm abusing the HX Stomp just for that. Having to deal with two pedals and then combining and housekeeping multiple patches on two units would be overkill, not to forget the additional real estate demands.

Without any doubt, this is a quality product, the sounds are stunning as usual, but (as usual, too) I'm wondering who these things are made for, Sure, there's the P&W crowd and then maybe some sidemen for gigs where money is no objection so you alway simply get the best in class on your pedalboard, regardless whether all you ever need is a little plate for some leads or so.
Personally, I do occasionally use some faux pedal steel things live, for those I like a nice deep reverb with some delay mixed in. But a unit such as this would be overkill already. And for recording, there's a ton of very suitable plugins, even free ones.
Yeah, I know, there's some "ambient" guitarists - and I like some mad pad-ish soundscaping here and there, too. But see above, plugins are fantastic for that.
As said before, if this came with a delay section, I'd possibly start saving up already, simply because for most of my needs in terms of spatial FX, delays and reverbs are always dealt with simultaneously, so it's great to have them in one unit - which is why I'm abusing the HX Stomp just for that. Having to deal with two pedals and then combining and housekeeping multiple patches on two units would be overkill, not to forget the additional real estate demands.
Don't forget affluent (or financially irresponsible :rofl ) hobbyists who enjoy nice things.

Totally agree. I don't own a SA Ventris because to me dual reverbs are not that useful. If the SA Collider got all the delay types and editing capabilities of the SA Nemesis for its delay side, I would switch from my Strymon Flint V2 + Volante setup to that because it's much smaller. But as it is, the Collider delays are good, but not good enough for tape delays to trump my Volante.

A Strymon delay/reverb pedal would be an instant buy for me, even if it's a big box like the BigSky MX.

Don't forget affluent (or financially irresponsible :rofl ) hobbyists who enjoy nice things.
Shocked Pop Tv GIF by Nightcap
The Shade GIF by Pepsi

The same could be said for 95% of the gear I own.

The same could be said for 95% of the gear I own.

Obviously (and no, that's not directed at you - it's probably the same for most of the folks round these parts).
Guess all I'm saying is that I'd love a more practically oriented Strymon pedal - let's call it "The Space" or whatever. But then, as long as they can split things and spill them over multiple devices and as long as these devices are selling (which they obviously do), it's unlikely we'll see any kind of dual-FX (let alone multi-FX) device from Strymon.

Ambient people will eat it up like me :) Also it does come with a delay section of some sort. The magneto option is a delay and it's been updated in this new version! So you could have 2 magneto's, 1 reverb and 1 magneto, or 1 convolution reverb and 1 magneto etc. And then the option of putting them in parallel, series, split. Great stuff :)

Obviously (and no, that's not directed at you - it's probably the same for most of the folks round these parts).
Guess all I'm saying is that I'd love a more practically oriented Strymon pedal - let's call it "The Space" or whatever. But then, as long as they can split things and spill them over multiple devices and as long as these devices are selling (which they obviously do), it's unlikely we'll see any kind of dual-FX (let alone multi-FX) device from Strymon.
I think the challenge is: market for "practically oriented reverb pedals" - leads to stuff like the Blue Sky, which has a handful of . . . grumpy old man options. Or very dedicated things like the Cloudburst pedal. Or $400 "it can play back single IRs and not much more" pedals like the polyeffects thing.

I dunno what the solution is. $680 for a reverb pedal is ridiculous. And yet...I still kinda want it :bonk

I think the challenge is: market for "practically oriented reverb pedals" - leads to stuff like the Blue Sky, which has a handful of . . . grumpy old man options. Or very dedicated things like the Cloudburst pedal. Or $400 "it can play back single IRs and not much more" pedals like the polyeffects thing.

It’s almost like they are trying to maximize the money they can pry from their customers.

university memory GIF

They could have easily put the new algo’s on the Big Sky too and had the MX be the dual verb and IR box. They could pull an ambient verb from their stash of classics for the Blue Sky, but they have to keep everything funneling people to the next more expensive pedal in their line. That’s how you end up with a bunch of pedals that all have sacrifices, until you get to their Reverbatron5000, which is then overkill. :ROFLMAO:

It’s almost like they are trying to maximize the money they can pry from their customers.

university memory GIF

They could have easily put the new algo’s on the Big Sky too and had the MX be the dual verb and IR box. They could pull an ambient verb from their stash of classics for the Blue Sky, but they have to keep everything funneling people to the next more expensive pedal in their line. That’s how you end up with a bunch of pedals that all have sacrifices, until you get to their Reverbatron5000, which is then overkill. :ROFLMAO:

Not really considering the dials on the original bigsky is already marked, and it's quite possible that it couldn't do anymore based on the processor etc.

Kinda like why eventide can't do anymore with H9 pedal, as it's full and nothing more can be done.

$680 for a reverb pedal is ridiculous. And yet...I still kinda want it

Same here.
But in my case, I very likely won't ever buy it because (see above...) I want my delays and reverbs to be taken care off inside one unit. The way the HX Stomp does it is almost perfect for me, btw. - but I'd love IRs and a dry-through option. For a while I was thinking about somewhat expanding my pedalboard, but these days it's more like the opposite. So anything like a Strymon trifecta has no place in Mr. Francks life anymore.

Same here.
But in my case, I very likely won't ever buy it because (see above...) I want my delays and reverbs to be taken care off inside one unit. The way the HX Stomp does it is almost perfect for me, btw. - but I'd love IRs and a dry-through option. For a while I was thinking about somewhat expanding my pedalboard, but these days it's more like the opposite. So anything like a Strymon trifecta has no place in Mr. Francks life anymore.

I say just get yourself a tasty chips integral dual IR pedal and stick it in fx loop of hx stomp and have at it :]

Same here.
Oh gawd. Stab me in the eye with the whole "BUT I JUST WANT TO SWAP OUT MY PERFECTLY SET UP TIME/FEEDBACK/MIX IN THIS TAPE DELAY BLOCK FOR AN ANALOG DELAY?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WHY DO YOU RESET EVERYTHING JUST BECAUSE I CHANGE DELAY TYPE!?!?!?!? workflow of HX

tasty chips integral dual IR pedal

Link?

Edit: Never mind, wasn't *that* hard to find (err... in fact not at all, lame me). Didn't know this even existed. Interesting.

stick it in fx loop of hx stomp

Not good. Latency and what not...

Oh gawd. Stab me in the eye with the whole "BUT I JUST WANT TO SWAP OUT MY PERFECTLY SET UP TIME/FEEDBACK/MIX IN THIS TAPE DELAY BLOCK FOR AN ANALOG DELAY?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WHY DO YOU RESET EVERYTHING JUST BECAUSE I CHANGE DELAY TYPE!?!?!?!? workflow of HX

I absolutely agree that at least those very things should be kept intact. Heck, add a "lock" function to them (such as exists on quite some plugins by now, so you can browse their presets regardless of their location).

Link?

Not good. Latency and what not...

I absolutely agree that at least those very things should be kept intact. Heck, add a "lock" function to them (such as exists on quite some plugins by now, so you can browse their presets regardless of their location).

I put all sorts of things in my helix floor fx loops and do fine, don't seem to have latency issues or if there is im not feeling it, but then again i may be used too it from guitar synths and stuff lol.

That's what the favorite section is good for! If you got a effect block you love and wanna keep, add it there and then go change things around and if you don't want something new, add it back in from the favorites!

And fwiw, one thing I am still considering is to get a cheap convertible laptop and just add delays/reverbs through it. In that case, the dry signal would always be kept "dry-through" (well, as in "only passing the Stomp") and the additional latency wouldn't matter on the wet side only.
That way, I could keep my main setup tidy and should the need for something more fance arise, a single USB cable would do the trick.

Back