New controller day

Shitty Pic of Something Else 2: "Keyboard" Boogalloo
lCzSP8d.jpg

Shitty clip to go with it.

Controller is bus powered by GM800 (which I was a little worried about beforehand) and using the sounds I normally use with my guitar. Need to do some velocity adjustment. Not sure whether it happens on the controller or the settings within the presets themselves? Certainly at hunt and peck like a muthertrucker but a fun time nonetheless. Probably 27 seconds too long :bag Using FAS verbs from the III
:chef

When did you expand to writing rap anthems?

Did a little synth-y thing with the new controller and the Synthwave EZX stuff I picked up. No giutar because I did it in a bad key and too happy

I found just picking out/making up little melodies like this to be the quicker way to get my keyboard "chops" (biggest air quotes ever) up to "yeah, a guitar synth probably doesn't make much sense, even for baselines" competence.

Also, instead of bringing the whole lick over note for note from guitar, I found just bringing over the first note and figuring the rest out by ear was the quickest way to kind of sort of learn the keyboard...same as with guitar where learning stuff by ear did more for helping me make sense of the fretboard than all the scale memorization in the world.

I found just picking out/making up little melodies like this to be the quicker way to get my keyboard "chops" (biggest air quotes ever) up to "yeah, a guitar synth probably doesn't make much sense, even for baselines" competence.

Also, instead of bringing the whole lick over note for note from guitar, I found just bringing over the first note and figuring the rest out by ear was the quickest way to kind of sort of learn the keyboard...same as with guitar where learning stuff by ear did more for helping me make sense of the fretboard than all the scale memorization in the world.
For what I do; I am at about a 75% good enough to just play it with keys level at this point. I'd have to try it at a practice but I am close. I know the chromatic scale as it applies to the keys so that's most of the "battle" right there.

For what I do; I am at about a 75% good enough to just play it with keys level at this point. I'd have to try it at a practice but I am close. I know the chromatic scale as it applies to the keys so that's most of the "battle" right there.
Honestly, if you get to where you are playing keys on the gig, I may feel like my gear forum lifecycle is complete.

Shitty Pic of Something Else 2: "Keyboard" Boogalloo
lCzSP8d.jpg

Shitty clip to go with it.

Controller is bus powered by GM800 (which I was a little worried about beforehand) and using the sounds I normally use with my guitar. Need to do some velocity adjustment. Not sure whether it happens on the controller or the settings within the presets themselves? Certainly at hunt and peck like a muthertrucker but a fun time nonetheless. Probably 27 seconds too long :bag Using FAS verbs from the III
:chef

Try It Team Usher GIF by The Voice

So did some more work with the controller in the DAW yesterday. Got a good bed for the end of the year challenge I think :unsure:

Couple of quibbles as I work with it.

1. Not sure if I need to bump it up to the next key level (49?). I find myself using the onboard octave keys A LOT to get my playing zone in a good spot where I have room to move up and down the keyboard for the "riffing" I am doing.

2. I have been doing some digging to see how I can get my transport controls to map to the onboard controls. I have yet to find a definitive answer but it would be nice to control the DAW from the keyboard itself.

So did some more work with the controller in the DAW yesterday. Got a good bed for the end of the year challenge I think :unsure:

1. Not sure if I need to bump it up to the next key level (49?). I find myself using the onboard octave keys A LOT to get my playing zone in a good spot where I have room to move up and down the keyboard for the "riffing" I am doing.

2. I have been doing some digging to see how I can get my transport controls to map to the onboard controls. I have yet to find a definitive answer but it would be nice to control the DAW from the keyboard itself.

"In theory, Cakewalk doesn't officially integrate with Native Instruments' Komplete Kontrol keyboards—but in practice, there are ways to make this happen by using ACT."
So kind of the same boat as the Novation. I need to do more Novation specific digging on the issue. I have just been having fun plinking on the keys after doing a basic initial configuration to make it work with soft synths that it's sort of just sat on the back burner.

Edit: some quick research shows I might need to do some midi learn. I think that will be my next stop. The 37 vs. 49 thought process is still a thing though.

49 keys is pretty much the minimum for 2 fisted playing. 61 keys better.

Not familiar with Cakewalk, but most DAWs have templates for controls. Often one manufacturer template works for others. Mackie templates often are a standard.

49 keys is pretty much the minimum for 2 fisted playing. 61 keys better.

Not familiar with Cakewalk, but most DAWs have templates for controls. Often one manufacturer template works for others. Mackie templates often are a standard.
Yeah it has Mackie templates included as well as the ACT(?) stuff. I am within my return window and I am probably going to bump up to the same model with 49 keys.

For longer runs or two handed playing (bass lines with left hand 61 keys is the sweet spot minimum to avoid the octave shift and using instrument splits.

But 49 is a bit better than 32. It depends what you want to do.

ETA. I didn’t see TJ’s post before posting. On my phone getting tires rotated.

Also if you decide to go with any of the new Native Mk3 controllers and have issues with firmware updates just ping me and I’ll save you a lot of time and frustration to get the update to work.

Also if you decide to go with any of the new Native Mk3 controllers and have issues with firmware updates just ping me and I’ll save you a lot of time and frustration to get the update to work.
Thank you sir. I know there's a suite of software it bundles with but I haven't installed it as I am preparing for the possibility of the 49. I assume you have the Novation?

No. Sorry I wasn’t specifically clear.

Native instruments s61 mk3. It’s a Christmas present so my wife let me unbox to test it and it always checks for updates on power up.

The mk3 models have an onboard computer and you need to cause the default firmware update screen to crash/error out and load the firmware from the screen that says”it looks like something has gone wrong”. Ignore the linked instructions and run the firmware update from that screen. Seems like a possible time out communications issue. It’s been a few weeks maybe they’ve fixed it by now

No. Sorry I was specifically clear.

Native instruments s61 mk3. It’s a Christmas present so my wife let me unbox to test it and it always checks for updates on power up.

The mk3 models have an onboard computer and you need to cause the default firmware update screen to crash/error out and load the firmware from the screen that says”it looks like something has gone wrong”. Ignore the linked instructions and run the firmware update from that screen. Seems like a possible time out communications issue. It’s been a few weeks maybe they’ve fixed it by now
Gotcha. I saw the N in you reply and read Novation instead of what you actually typed :facepalm Good to know if I go the Native route.

49 works well for me. I occasionally have to hit an octave down shift just to get me extended as far down as I want, but I don’t find myself running out of real estate once the octave is set. 24 keys I found to be a nightmare, and don’t think 32 would be much better.

If you want a lightly used KeyLab 49 MKII or Keylab Essential MKIII 61, I'll hook you up.
I've got the MKII version of this and its great, but does take up a fair amount of real estate front-to-back. The Essential doesn't really lose any knobs/buttons that I'd miss tremendously. If the analog lab software serial # is included....those sounds/presets are GRRRRRREEEAT.

I've got the MKII version of this and its great, but does take up a fair amount of real estate front-to-back. The Essential doesn't really lose any knobs/buttons that I'd miss tremendously. If the analog lab software serial # is included....those sounds/presets are GRRRRRREEEAT.

Unfortunately, I can't transfer the software because I got free as a part of me being an Arturia beta tester.

Back