NAD: Marshall 1987x (J.F)

- Nags for Marshall in Helix - for years - gets Marshall in Helix.
- Switches to Fractal.
- Nags Fractal for some switch in Fractal - gets switch in Fractal.
- Switches to real Marshall amp.
The circle of gear life.

Circle Of Life Loop GIF

:grin:grin

Congrats @James Freeman !
Nice amp, although can't believe the choke screws weren't fastened properly?

If your head doesn't closely match the one Cliff used for his model, are you certain of the values?
Maybe there's a couple test points to measure first before finalizing that 0.0022uF cap value, etc.?
The values I listed are standard for Super Lead, excpet the 0.68uF on V2a which I like from the 1970 Plexi in the Fractal, especially with a PPIMV.

The stock 1987x is not a Super Lead, it is an earlier 1967 spec with 820 Ohm on V1a and 0.022u coupling on Channel 1, which is thicker and a little flubby.

The values I listed are standard for Super Lead, excpet the 0.68uF on V2a which I like from the 1970 Plexi in the Fractal, especially with a PPIMV.

The stock 1987x is not a Super Lead, it is an earlier 1967 spec with 820 Ohm on V1a and 0.022u coupling on Channel 1, which is thicker and a little flubby.
I read somewhere that it is a reissue of an early 1970's metal pane 50 watt, NOT an early 1967 Marshall. That's why it's more aggressive and has less headroom.

Last edited:
How’s the noise on the amp? I thought the Fractal amps were a bit more well behaved in terms of hiss compared to my own clone with a 5000pF bright cap.

How’s the noise on the amp? I thought the Fractal amps were a bit more well behaved in terms of hiss compared to my own clone with a 5000pF bright cap.
It's relatively quiet, at least I don't hear filament hum.
Why relatively? When the Treble Channel on 1 and sit 3 feet in front of the cab you hear the noise floor of a 130 dBA signal, so the noise floor is at around 80dBA which quite loud.
With a modeler you hear the signal at 80dBA so the noise is 50dB lower at around 30dBA.

Back