NAD: Marshall 1987x (J.F)

James Freeman

Rock Star
My first Marshall, a 1987x Plexi.

20240114_145905.jpg

--

It's OK.

Last edited:
I know exactly what I want thanks to Fractal, it will become a 1969.
2.7k+0.68 on V1a.
0.0022uF coupling on Channel 1.
0.68uF over V2a.
Elevated Heaters, 470k+82k from Screen supply.
LarMar PPIMV.

If your head doesn't closely match the one Cliff used for his model, are you certain of the values?
Maybe there's a couple test points to measure first before finalizing that 0.0022uF cap value, etc.?

Might be a dumb question but it sprang to mind.

Oh, and CONGRATS!

Last edited:
I know exactly what I want thanks to Fractal, it will become a 1969.
2.7k+0.68 on V1a.
0.0022uF coupling on Channel 1.
0.68uF over V2a.
Elevated Heaters, 470k+82k from Screen supply.
LarMar PPIMV.
I couldn’t imagine my 1959 without the PPIV master, absolutely the single most essential mod to a 4 hole Marshall in terms of adding practicality, though having some bright cap options can also be key unless you are always using the amp with the same guitar/cab.

Curious to see how this works out for you.

Shit's fucked.... but I fixed it.
Worst quality control I've seen by a big name company, truly baffling.

The choke was hanging by a single screw on a half a thread turn, the rest of the nuts and bolts were rattling in the chassis.
I had to disassemble the amp, remove the valves, lift the PCB and with a pair of tweezers hold the nut while I was screwing the bolt underneath, a big fucking nightmare but I fixed it.

* I discharged the caps, not my first amp as you know.

All fixed.

---

Some gut shots.
Other than the choke hanging by a single thread (literally), the craftsmanship is ace.

Tung-Sol EL34 and JJ ECC83.

Vietnamese Transformers (MAV).

Shit's fucked.... but I fixed it.
Worst quality control I've seen by a big name company, truly baffling.

The choke was hanging by a single screw on a half a thread turn, the rest of the nuts and bolts were rattling in the chassis.
I had to disassemble the amp, remove the valves, lift the PCB and with a pair of tweezers hold the nut while I was screwing the bolt underneath, a big fucking nightmare but I fixed it.

* I discharged the caps, not my first amp as you know.

All fixed.

---

Some gut shots.
Other than the choke hanging by a single thread (literally), the craftsmanship is ace.

Tung-Sol EL34 and JJ ECC83.

Vietnamese Transformers (MAV).

British Iron ?

@Burger
I should have mentioned the plate voltage from this MAV PT was 420v, low for a 2203x. I'm going to say they are not the same spec as the 'reissue' Dagnall.

Yep, around 414v here on the 1987x with 223v mains, should be around 430vDC with 230v, quite on the low side.
The amp is super gainy.

The MAV TXMA-00004 in the image above says 117/220/240..... but where is 230?
Maybe that can explains the low voltage?
I measure 6.0 vAC on the heaters.

Last edited:
Back