Everyone FEARED Yngwie! | Hear ‘N Aid 1986

Imagine being a good, capable player between 1978 and 1984. You’re strolling through life being a bit unique because you’re a guitar player and they weren’t a dime a dozen, but then EVH comes out and you’re like “Fuck” and then as you’re busting your ass trying to keep up with the whole guitar playing community, you’re getting some speed under your fingers and then fucking Rising Force gets released. :rofl

Imagine being a good, capable player between 1978 and 1984. You’re strolling through life being a bit unique because you’re a guitar player and they weren’t a dime a dozen, but then EVH comes out and you’re like “Fuck” and then as you’re busting your ass trying to keep up with the whole guitar playing community, you’re getting some speed under your fingers and then fucking Rising Force gets released. :rofl

Yep, and there have only been a handful of guitarists who actually turned everything on its butt:

Clapton (blues-based rock through amps cranked to distortion)
Hendrix
Van Halen
Malmsteen

There have been plenty of iconic, great players through those years, but these four were the guys that had EVERYBODY rethinking their approach.

Imagine being Yngwie and within a few years of you taking over the scene guys like Tony McAlpine, Vinnie Moore, Jason Becker, and Marty Friedman are aping your shit to a T and in some ways exceeding it.

Same happened with EVH.
He had a couple years before Rhoads, Satriani, Vai, Bratta, Et al. came along.

FWIW, I heard and saw Clapton, Henrdrix and Van Halen all over radio and video since forever.

I first heard of Yngwie via the Razorfist "Metal Mythos" video review of Alcatrazz a couple of years ago.

Maybe he was a big deal in the guitar magazine world, but at least in Australia no one I know (again, fwiw) has heard of him.

If I want Classical Guitar, I tend towards John Williams (Sky did Bach better and earlier!) or the Grigoryan Brothers, again being Australian. But I have no issue at all with Yngwie and his music, and do like the "What?!? More is more!" story.

Last edited:
Imagine being Yngwie and within a few years of you taking over the scene guys like Tony McAlpine, Vinnie Moore, Jason Becker, and Marty Friedman are aping your shit to a T and in some ways exceeding it.

Same happened with EVH.

There were many followers, but the guys that pioneered their specific impact on the guitar playing world are typically the ones that everyone remembers.

sometimes they’re recognized and sometimes not .

1715125903126.png

Yep, and there have only been a handful of guitarists who actually turned everything on its butt:

Clapton (blues-based rock through amps cranked to distortion)
Hendrix
Van Halen
Malmsteen

There have been plenty of iconic, great players through those years, but these four were the guys that had EVERYBODY rethinking their approach.
Id add Satch and Vai in the mix
Respect to Malmsteen but I've always enjoyed and listened to more Satch and Vai
But thats me

But thats me

Absolutely.
After Rising Force Yngwie just kept repeating himself - although I did like Odyssey cause he had a great singer on board.

Flying in a Blue Dream and P&W are great albums cause the songs are solid - putting the guitar histrionics aside.
Mind's Eye, Maximum Security, Greg Howe's debut, and quite a few others are all better 'listens' than anything Yngwie ever did imo.

But thats me

It’s not about who anybody enjoys listening to more, it’s about how their emergence caused dramatic shifts in the guitar playing world. Satch and Vai are incredible players, but neither one of them was a pioneer in a completely new style or technique. They built on the trend that started with Eddie, much like so many in the sixties and seventies built on what Clapton and Hendrix started.

Same happened with EVH.
Imagine being EVH and having Brian May release an EVH style solo in 1977...

FWIW, I heard and saw Clapton, Henrdrix and Van Halen all over radio and video since forever.

I first heard of Yngwie via the Razorfist "Metal Mythos" video review of Alcatrazz a couple of years ago.

Maybe he was a big deal in the guitar magazine world, but at least in Australia no one I know (again, fwiw) has heard of him.

If I want Classical Guitar, I tend towards John Williams (Sky did Bach better and earlier!) or the Grigoryan Brothers, again being Australian. But I have no issue at all with Yngwie and his music, and do like the "What?!? More is more!" story.
Razorfist is a caricature. Lmao

Razorfist is a caricature. Lmao
That doesn't alter the fact that that I had never heard of Yngwie Malmsteen until seeing that video, whatever the quality of it's content or creator. I also found some Darkthrone, Bathory and a new appreciation of Stryper and Wasp via that channel.

For Classical/Rock I prefer Sky. YMMV.

I like his content. He has a definite fascination with C+ tier traditional metal bands. NTTAWWT.
My favorite lulz fest video was when he tried to show people "new bands," and everything, by his own admission, was incredibly derivative of one or two bands who did it much better. Then when it didn't go over well with fans, he REEEEEE'd about it.

Good times lmao.

It’s not about who anybody enjoys listening to more, it’s about how their emergence caused dramatic shifts in the guitar playing world. Satch and Vai are incredible players, but neither one of them was a pioneer in a completely new style or technique. They built on the trend that started with Eddie, much like so many in the sixties and seventies built on what Clapton and Hendrix started.
Yes for me Rising force was a Wow WTF moment just like when VH 1 Came out

Back