NLD - Gold Foil Goodness (I hope)

My number one is a Les Paul with Lollar P90s. However I never use the neck pickup because it is just too woofy in this guitar. I have it sunk into the body and it is just too much in this guitar. So a guy on TOP was selling a neck position Lollar Gold Foil for P90 route so I traded a pedal for it. It came in today. It's purdy.

LollarGoldFoil.jpeg

I am hoping it has more treble and lower output that the current P90 that I have in there now. I should be able to install it tomorrow if it rains.

Curious to hear your thoughts once you get it installed. Is this a true single coil or HB?

Hmmm, I did a few tests this morning before work. I do like it. It is more useful to me than the P90 in the neck position. It's completely different though. I may have to grow to love it. I've got to dial it in and maybe the master volume with the P90 together isn't a great idea. I'll mess with the setup more over the weekend.

Hmmm, I did a few tests this morning before work. I do like it. It is more useful to me than the P90 in the neck position. It's completely different though. I may have to grow to love it. I've got to dial it in and maybe the master volume with the P90 together isn't a great idea. I'll mess with the setup more over the weekend.
I've been dragging my feet on a guitar project last few months, a redo of an old Lindert. Just need to settle on some pickups. I've been leaning towards lipsticks because I love them and it's been a long while, but possibly try some kind of gold foil as well? Could combine the 2 even.

This is a guitar I picked up about 50 years ago. It was a bit of a Frankenstein when I got it. The original configuration was P90-neck, strat-middle, strat-bridge with 2 3-way switches. I bought the guitar because I really liked the sound of it as well as the feel of the unfinished neck. Unfortunately the neck warped. I bought another neck that I didn’t bond with. So the body plus pickups sat around for about 35 years or so. I’d always intended to do something with it but never got around to it. Until about 4 years ago.

The luthier who did the work for me believes the body and pickups are from the 50’s which seems about right to me given when I got it and the general shape it was in. The new neck is from Musikraft and works well with the body. I decided to move the P-90 into the bridge position, keep the strat-middle, and put a Lollar gold-foil in the neck. The controls are now Volume, Tone, Blend neck-bridge, and a 5-way switch. The gold-foil works well for what I do. I had another guitar with a Mojo gold-foil in the neck position and much prefer the Lollar.
IMG_2057.jpeg

Last edited:
So far I'm not in love with this pickup. I'm going to attempt to mess with the pickup height and see if I can change my attitude.
You could tweak the pole pieces as well, but it may not be the right pickup for you. It's a bigger risk with oddball pickups unless you can accept their oddness and only use for certain sounds. Could be worth it to have one in a guitar you don't play as often just for that reason.

So far I'm not in love with this pickup. I'm going to attempt to mess with the pickup height and see if I can change my attitude.
two years ago I snagged a classic vibe Strat locally that had been modified with a lollar P-90 in the bridge and a vintage 60's guyatone gold foil in the neck. I was super pumped about that guitar and...

...found the neck pickup to just be boring? Neutral to a fault, for me. None of the bell like quality of a good Fender style single coil. It wasn't anemic, but was just...really, really boring? The P-90 was sooooo good and characterful. Wound up pulling the neck pickup and selling it for as much as I paid for the guitar.

You could tweak the pole pieces as well, but it may not be the right pickup for you. It's a bigger risk with oddball pickups unless you can accept their oddness and only use for certain sounds. Could be worth it to have one in a guitar you don't play as often just for that reason.
i think the screws are for show on this one. They’re not real pole pieces.

I have a Lollar Gold Foil in my Charvel but is in the bridge and I absolutely love it. It’s just not working for me in the neck position.

I have an Arcane gold foil pickup in one of my Novo guitars.
ARC_2158.jpg

yfsj85xgslixr65fizhy.jpg

It has its moments, but is usually too dark for my tastes. Since it replaced a humbucker, I wonder if swapping the volume pot for a different R value or adding a treble bleed can help add more chime.

Do you know the pot value you have installed for your volume and tone controls?

@Eagle , do you have anny suggestions?

Last edited:
Back