NAID: RME UCX II

TheTrueZoltan!

Shredder
I'm actually very happy with my PreSonus Quantum 2 interface. Extremely low latency and very good performance in general. The only thing that really bothers me is the error-prone S/PDIF clock synchronization. And since it's been out of production for quite a while now, I'm afraid that driver support will soon be discontinued as well. But I've been thinking about getting an RME for ages. For whatever reason. Now I found a pretty good offer for the UCX II and bought it straight away. I'm now going to test it thoroughly and compare it with my Quantum 2 to find out whether it's really worth switching. The switch from Thunderbolt to USB 2.0 worries me a little and I'm curious to see whether I'll notice a significant drop in performance.

How many instruments /tracks are you recording simultaneously?

USB 2.0 can handle most of the simultaneous instrument/data through that any home studio player can use, so that shouldn't be a concern.

And the RME drivers are one, if not the best, out there for latency. Although the Quantum was pretty darn good for latency.

I bought my UCX II three years ago and I don't have one negative thing to say about it. At the time I bought mine they had a promotion going where I go the ARC-USB free with it. I love that thing. The price on the interface has gone up $200 since I bought mine. I can't believe how much it has gone up. After spending a few years with mine, I would buy it again at that price though.

As stated, RME has some if not the best drivers on the market. The other positive thing about them is they tend to support their units for far longer with updated drivers than any other manufacturer out there.

I was afraid that the switch from Thunderbolt to USB 2.0 would lead to a considerable deterioration in performance. But RTL has only increased slightly by about 1.2 ms, and the activity monitor shows 2-4% more CPU load for Cubase, which is absolutely negligible.

So far I didn‘t experience any audio hiccups and the interface seems to be built like a tank.

But you know what I really enjoy about the UCX? The stepped main encoder. So satisfying! :cool:

Last edited:
Back