Mesa Mark VII GigRig G3 MIDI

PMR

Hi all, apologies if this seems dumb but I am a total MIDiot. Just got a Boogie Mark VII and want to hook it up to the gigrig G3 via MIDI to control channel switching/EQ/Loop. Reading the manuals to both Boogie & G3 and I'm still totally lost 🤦🏼‍♂️

Could some kind soul please walk me through as if i'm a child how to firstly connect, then programme?

Many thanks 🙏🏼

Pete

I have zero experience with the G3, but I use my HX Stomp to control my Mark VII. via MIDI.

Are you looking to mimic the standard footswitch functions (ch1, ch2, ch3, reverb, loop, eq) OR do you want to step on one switch to change channel and set the reverb, loop, and eq state?

You need to disconnect the standard footswitch when using MIDI. Run a 5 pin MIDI cable from your G3 MIDI out to the MIDI in in the Mark VII.

I don't have time right now to write a walkthrough, but I'll try to put together some easy to follow steps tomorrow morning after you let me know how you want to use it.

:beer

Reactions: PMR
Have the midi list of the Mesa manual available…there you read what you need to send to change stuff on the amp.

There’s 2 types of messages
ProgramChange (PC), and ControlChange(CC).
Both messages are nothing more than a value 0 to 127.

So in the GIGrig you need to configure what type and of what value you will send at an event (=click on a switch)….in line with the list of CCs in the Mesa manual, depending on what you want to happen.

Idnk these devices, but it basics are the same always….do some manual diving for the device specifics.

Reactions: PMR
I have zero experience with the G3, but I use my HX Stomp to control my Mark VII. via MIDI.

Are you looking to mimic the standard footswitch functions (ch1, ch2, ch3, reverb, loop, eq) OR do you want to step on one switch to change channel and set the reverb, loop, and eq state?

You need to disconnect the standard footswitch when using MIDI. Run a 5 pin MIDI cable from your G3 MIDI out to the MIDI in in the Mark VII.

I don't have time right now to write a walkthrough, but I'll try to put together some easy to follow steps tomorrow morning after you let me know how you want to use it.

@gearJunkie Thanks ever so much for getting back to me. Yes I'm wanting G3 to control channel switching/Loop/EQ. That would be amazing if you could do me a little walkthrough. Very much appreciated 👍🏽

This should help. It's the same with all midi devices from the G3's perspective. It just sends out Program Changes to your amp, basically. But I don't know how the MKVII works in that respect.

(SCENARIO #1) mimic the standard footswitch functions (ch1, ch2, ch3, reverb, loop, eq)

OR

(SCENARIO #2) do you want to step on one switch to change channel and set the reverb, loop, and eq state?

Please read my quotes above and let me know if you want scenario #1 or scenario #2.

Scenario #1 uses MIDI Continuous Controller (CC) messages.

Scenario #2 uses MIDI Program Change (PC) messages.

It will help me if you also provide a simple use case of how you currently use your G3 within the context of a song, and then starting the next song.

If I understand how you are presently using your G3, it'll be easier to integrate Mark VII switching into your workflow.

OR

Please read my quotes above and let me know if you want scenario #1 or scenario #2.

Scenario #1 uses MIDI Continuous Controller (CC) messages.

Scenario #2 uses MIDI Program Change (PC) messages.

It will help me if you also provide a simple use case of how you currently use your G3 within the context of a song, and then starting the next song.

If I understand how you are presently using your G3, it'll be easier to integrate Mark VII switching into your workflow.

Doing the lord's (MIDI) work!

Back