How the hell does the cab removal work in Tonex?

pipelineaudio

Shredder
I tried a capture I made without a cab against a capture that had a cab then hit the cab removal button in tonex and they didn't come anywhere near nulling. What in the world is that thing supposed to do?

As you've found whatever they do isn't accurate. Better off making a DI and Mic version separate.

Hence why it was neat when Kemper came out with merged profiles that made the cab removal more accurate allegedly

IMG_3196.jpeg

There are some good captures out there. But you need to like the cab unless it's a DI where you can cleanly add your own IR.

One tell on the fact that the IR cannot be separated from a capture is the huge volume jump when you add your IR. Sometimes it can be a good tone/sound, but it won't sound like your normal IR.

Is there no way to change IR levels?
IK used to do that for you, early versions of ToneX would make 3rd party IR’s way too quiet.

I really wish they offered something akin to Kemper’s “merged profiles”. For instance the software could capture a direct amp and IR in the same pass and organise things accordingly. Would be dead simple to do.

Hmmm, tonex is DEFINITELY doing something to the IRs. I did a software capture of a simple filter into an IR and then one of just the simple filter

Playing them back in two instances with one polarity flipped does not null

Doing a video right now. The no cab capture then add an IR after the capture is WAY closer to the original than the amp and IR as a capture

It's not possible to separate the cab from the full profile because there isn't enough information to do so. Honestly I think kemper did it better but it was still not right. DI profiles are the best way to go in my opinion

Yeah this concept has always been a bit of a miss for me. It sounds cack on Kemper, and cack in ToneX.

Personally, I think you're better off just getting a load-box or a Neve DI between the head and a real cab, and making your captures that way.

I assume it works like it does with the Kemper…it subtracts an estimation of the CAB from the sound.
Offcourse that’s never gonna be 100% right…usefull feature nonetheless.

If you want it right…do a DI profile. If you run a Kemper…also do a full profile and merge them…that gets you an accurate Cab capture.

Back