Does the Fractal Deluxe Reverb sound broken to anyone else?

My ears hear a hint of distortion for a few milliseconds after hitting a single note. Same with the Twin Reverb model. They actually "modeled" this as "desirable". I never noticed a Twin or Deluxe making that sound in real life. I would have a completely different opinion of the real amps if they did exhibit this behavior.
How do you know the real deals don't do that too, but typically you'd have the volume loud enough that it is difficult to perceive compared to what a mic would pick up? Hearing the real combo on the floor, or hearing someone play a Twin on stage is going to be a very different scenario.

I don't have a Fractal anymore so can't really check what you mean and I didn't try any of the Fender models with fw 25 when I still had one. Plus I think Fenders sound better with a little bit of overdrive even if you are aiming for clean tones, just adds a bit of sparkle up top.

Last edited:
The BF and SF fenders I’ve had payed have been all over the map from breaking up at 2-3 with a low output strat to hardly breaking up at 7-8.

Seems like Fractal has one that breaks up on the early side.

D

Plus I think Fenders sound better with a little bit of overdrive even if you are aiming for clean tones, just adds a bit of sparkle up top.

That’s very subjective and style dependent though. I agree with you completely for some styles and not at all for other styles

I will make a recording later showing the accuracy of the model. FWIW the amp's measured gain, and resulting distortion, agrees nearly exactly with predictions.

It's also worth noting that the amp has new tubes and before the tubes were replaced the gain was about 20% less than predicted.

Deluxe Reverbs distort quite easily on the Vibrato channel. If you want clean use the Normal channel. If you want really clean use the Normal channel and set the Input Trim to 0.5 to simulate using the Low input.

I will make a recording later showing the accuracy of the model. FWIW the amp's measured gain, and resulting distortion, agrees nearly exactly with predictions.

It's also worth noting that the amp has new tubes and before the tubes were replaced the gain was about 20% less than predicted.

Deluxe Reverbs distort quite easily on the Vibrato channel. If you want clean use the Normal channel. If you want really clean use the Normal channel and set the Input Trim to 0.5 to simulate using the Low input.
I think having a switch with “high” and “low” on these amps that have a high/low input that automatically sets the input trim would be a welcome GUI addition to these amps.

Here's a comparison. One of the takes is the real amp, the other three are various modelers, one of which is the Axe-Fx III.

Gain on the amp is 3. Modelers are set to 2.2 (which is the equivalent on a 0-10 scale). Bass and Treble set to noon.

https://@www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/Deluxe_Verb.mp3
The first, second, and fourth sound very similar to me. The third is cleaner and (possibly) slightly brighter than the other three. I have no interest in which is which, but the third one sounds best to me. All three represent sounds I'm certain I could get from a physical Deluxe, were I interested in doing so.

Last edited:
Here's a comparison. One of the takes is the real amp, the other three are various modelers, one of which is the Axe-Fx III.

Gain on the amp is 3. Modelers are set to 2.2 (which is the equivalent on a 0-10 scale). Bass and Treble set to noon.

1 and 4 sound the closest to each other to me followed by 2 which is also fairly similar. 3 sounds way cleaner than the other 3... More similar to how my reissue DR sounded at lower volumes than vintage DRs I've played.

-Aaron

Last edited:

All sounded good and useful to me. 1,2 and 4 were all in the same ballpark. 3 had a bit less low mids and low end. No idea what is what or which is which.

But could very easily and non-problematically work and adjust any of them to taste.

Ben

This is an interesting thread. When I grabbed a captor reactive load a couple years back I distinctly recall being confused and somewhat put off by the amount of overdrive I was getting when running the SFDR via the RL. Even at 2, there was more hair than I’d ever noticed playing that amp in the room.

I guess I’m going to have to do another round of testing.

Back