What are we watching now?

I mean, you have to have at least one phallic reference in every movie.

Do you realize what you're implying?
Laxu did just connect Paul to Jesus.......

1500292a-07b4-4836-9787-b9760e785e25

:pee

Considering the book is from 1965, it's probably more like:

Harkonnen = Space Russia
Atreides = Space USA
Giant worms = I have no idea either!

But basically it's a story about Paul's journey to become Space Jesus.
I feel like I’ve seen this before…

Episode 4 Medal GIF by Star Wars

I forgot to mention Javier Bardem was actually the best part. His acting, as always, is the very best.

Frank Herbert meant for Dune to be a messiah story, to lay the basis to talk about how messiahs are bad for your health, as he put it. They even hint in Dune Part One how the messiah story the Fremen believe is an artificial story implanted by the Bene Gesserit centuries prior, which the Bene Gesserit were then working in the shadows to make a reality to fulfill their own political and philosophical ambitions. The whole thing is Herbert's commentary on power, that religion is a tool of power wrangled by politicians for their own ends. That's my understanding, anyway. I started rereading the book recently, and I was shocked at how poorly written I thought it was. I think his ideas are very cool, and the style of throwing in ancient scripture and literary sources in his imaginery universe are awesome, and the fact that he created such a rich world, but the mechanics of his writing were kind of shocking to me. I still want to finish at least the first book again. It's been decades since I first read it. I read the whole original series in sixth grade, so it's been a while haha.

Knox Goes Away. Crime flick directed by Michael Keaton about a career criminal who is suffering from dementia. Awesome and semi-understated in the best of ways. Keaton is great. Give it a watch \m/
Great recommendation. Almost finished. Perciate it! :beer

Btw, I dig these types of movies, so if ya got any more, lay em on me! ;)

Dune. Even as a kid/teenager reading the first book the ban on computers in Science Fiction masde no sense to me at all (even then I was a budding IT geek), and made it difficult to take seriously. The bad writing in the 2nd book stopped me halfway through and I never picked it up again. I figured the Worm was yet another weird take on nature vs technology (ornithopters?!? WTF?) and made no sense to be able to ride the things by sticking hooks into it and opening up a "ring segment"... Again, WTF? How does this very convenient worm makes sense in Science Fiction? In Fantasy a dragon is just a dragon, no questions needed.

The David Lynch movie was good for a laugh with a few beers with the lads on a Video night. I'll watch the new ones one of these days when lacking choices.

I've started Fallout and like it so far.

Great recommendation. Almost finished. Perciate it! :beer

Btw, I dig these types of movies, so if ya got any more, lay em on me! ;)
Glad you dig it. I love crime flicks. Really in all sub-forms. Whether they are big dumb exploding things or small quiet dramas with a crime undercurrent. Michael Keaton has always been one of my faves so even if the movie sucked; his presence would still make it enjoyable.

Speaking of; started the new Giancarlo Esposito AMC show Parish. About a reformed career criminal who gets roped back into the life by his old friend (Skeet Ulrich who I am still on the fence about, 2 episodes in). Generally good because of Giancarlo. I will keep at it for a few more episodes and see.

Even though I have major problems with Dune Part One, we finally watched Dune Part Two last night. Man, that sound mixing was exhausting. I felt like they needed subtly to make it so less of the film was not the loudest thing you've ever experienced.

I think Javier Bardem is one of the great modern actors, but my wife pointed out his character became far less interesting in part two because he's reduced to a less dimensional religious zealot. He still has great character though, and I loved that.

The main kid, Timothée Chalamet, was far less annoying in Part Two, and he emoted mildly more. He did have the creepy messiah idea pretty well developed, but I just don't feel anything from this guy. He mostly oscillates between empty and angry, without all the weight of the universe you should see in that character's face. He just feels way to much of a real life caricature of the worst kind of prep school kid. And he has a tendency to overact. Of course the director is going to do a thing to rope him in, since this director seems not to talk to his actors at all.

Rebecca Ferguson was better in her creepiness in part two than her constant nervous breakdown in part one, but equally uncompelling.

I loved Léa Seydoux so much. I wish her character had more to do, because I always think she's a great actor.

Zendaya is ridiculous for giving herself one name to go by. I don't care who you are, that is just obnoxious. My wife had a good point that she played the role like a tough kid in a gangland movie, but her performance clashed too hard with the quiet and thoughtful nature of the way the Fremen were portrayed. She was just a tough angry kid, but not much else going on. She should have had more of the feel of Babs Olusanmokun, who played his short role with depth, character, tremendous dignity, and ferocity. I could feel it when he spoke, but I just didn't feel much from her. I did feel like she tried somewhat, but I just think maybe she needed a better director.

I can't help but compare the main character's drinking of the Water of Life in Lynch's to this one. In Lynch's version, it's the most epic thing ever, and in this it was not that big of a deal, even though, according to its own mythology, it's supposed to be the most significant event ever. Ugh.

I loved how deep they went into the story though. Getting further into the relationship between mythology and material gain was fantastic.

Finally, the villians:

Stellan Skarsgaard is kind of a self important ass in a lot of films. He thinks he's way cooler than he actually is. But here, in Part One and Part Two, he's fucking incredible! This made me love him instantly. Filled with character and personality. Just perfect, everything I want to see in an actor.

David Bautista played his role like a big angry dumb oaf, and his oscillation between nervously looking around and shouting at full volume was just bullshit. I don't care if you're character is dumb; you can make your performance more interesting than that.

Lastly, Austin Butler was fucking terrific. I loved his portrayal. His accent seemed like something he'd have to work hard as shit to accomplish, because he was largely mirroring Skarsgaard's weird and relaxed Swedish accent. It was great. The pure menace behind malevolent intellect was great to behold, in the way you just had to marvel at the psychological architecture he created for his character. I saw Elvis and thought it was fine, but it didn't really give me hope that this guy is special, but I was wrong. This movie proves that he's a worker, and that's one of the great things I love to see in actors. Stuff that's not native to who they are as people, but characters they work hard to create.

Overall, Denis Villenueve should be a cinematographer, not a director. Great visual sense, but lousy with people.

Even though I have major problems with Dune Part One, we finally watched Dune Part Two last night. Man, that sound mixing was exhausting. I felt like they needed subtly to make it so less of the film was not the loudest thing you've ever experienced.

I think Javier Bardem is one of the great modern actors, but my wife pointed out his character became far less interesting in part two because he's reduced to a less dimensional religious zealot. He still has great character though, and I loved that.

The main kid, Timothée Chalamet, was far less annoying in Part Two, and he emoted mildly more. He did have the creepy messiah idea pretty well developed, but I just don't feel anything from this guy. He mostly oscillates between empty and angry, without all the weight of the universe you should see in that character's face. He just feels way to much of a real life caricature of the worst kind of prep school kid. And he has a tendency to overact. Of course the director is going to do a thing to rope him in, since this director seems not to talk to his actors at all.

Rebecca Ferguson was better in her creepiness in part two than her constant nervous breakdown in part one, but equally uncompelling.

I loved Léa Seydoux so much. I wish her character had more to do, because I always think she's a great actor.

Zendaya is ridiculous for giving herself one name to go by. I don't care who you are, that is just obnoxious. My wife had a good point that she played the role like a tough kid in a gangland movie, but her performance clashed too hard with the quiet and thoughtful nature of the way the Fremen were portrayed. She was just a tough angry kid, but not much else going on. She should have had more of the feel of Babs Olusanmokun, who played his short role with depth, character, tremendous dignity, and ferocity. I could feel it when he spoke, but I just didn't feel much from her. I did feel like she tried somewhat, but I just think maybe she needed a better director.

I can't help but compare the main character's drinking of the Water of Life in Lynch's to this one. In Lynch's version, it's the most epic thing ever, and in this it was not that big of a deal, even though, according to its own mythology, it's supposed to be the most significant event ever. Ugh.

I loved how deep they went into the story though. Getting further into the relationship between mythology and material gain was fantastic.

Finally, the villians:

Stellan Skarsgaard is kind of a self important ass in a lot of films. He thinks he's way cooler than he actually is. But here, in Part One and Part Two, he's fucking incredible! This made me love him instantly. Filled with character and personality. Just perfect, everything I want to see in an actor.

David Bautista played his role like a big angry dumb oaf, and his oscillation between nervously looking around and shouting at full volume was just bullshit. I don't care if you're character is dumb; you can make your performance more interesting than that.

Lastly, Austin Butler was fucking terrific. I loved his portrayal. His accent seemed like something he'd have to work hard as shit to accomplish, because he was largely mirroring Skarsgaard's weird and relaxed Swedish accent. It was great. The pure menace behind malevolent intellect was great to behold, in the way you just had to marvel at the psychological architecture he created for his character. I saw Elvis and thought it was fine, but it didn't really give me hope that this guy is special, but I was wrong. This movie proves that he's a worker, and that's one of the great things I love to see in actors. Stuff that's not native to who they are as people, but characters they work hard to create.

Overall, Denis Villenueve should be a cinematographer, not a director. Great visual sense, but lousy with people.

I am turning more and more into a French Postmodern Philosopher in my old age. The greater the spectacle the
less the substance. :knit

Almost feels like a universal truth at this point, and Postmodernists, as you know, despise universal truths. :LOL:

I am turning more and more into a French Postmodern Philosopher in my old age. The greater the spectacle the
less the substance. :knit

Almost feels like a universal truth at this point, and Postmodernists, as you know, despise universal truths. :LOL:

You're reminding me of a pattern my wife and I have found in films: if you see tits in the first ten minutes, the film is going to suck. It's always a gimmick by a hack director to get you interested in the movie when the writing, directing, and acting have nothing else to offer. Tits later on in a film are hit or miss, but usually still a bad sign; they rarely have to do with a story, and if they do, it's often bad writing haha.

Now, I enjoy tits as much as the next guy, but in the context of movies, they're usually just a distraction.

You're reminding me of a pattern my wife and I have found in films: if you see tits in the first ten minutes, the film is going to suck. It's always a gimmick by a hack director to get you interested in the movie when the writing, directing, and acting have nothing else to offer. Tits later on in a film are hit or miss, but usually still a bad sign; they rarely have to do with a story, and if they do, it's often bad writing haha.

Now, I enjoy tits as much as the next guy, but in the context of movies, they're usually just a distraction.
Wow, how can you hate on Shannon Whirry like that?

I'm watching Tango and Cash. Within 8 minutes, there are nude boobs. I think your deduction does not hold true. Sorry.

Copland and Nighthawks get Stallone a pass for life. Ignoring other obvious films that put him in spot he's in. The excess nudity trick has 1000% moved over to TV series. There are certainly times where sex makes sense in a story but just shoehorning the shit in there to get eyes on your show is lazy with a capital L.

Copland and Nighthawks get Stallone a pass for life. Ignoring other obvious films that put him in spot he's in. The excess nudity trick has 1000% moved over to TV series. There are certainly times where sex makes sense in a story but just shoehorning the shit in there to get eyes on your show is lazy with a capital L.
Nude boobs don't need a reason to exist and calling them gratuitous or insinuating they ruin a film is a weird take. They are boobs and a nice bonus to look at.

Back