Video Games

Started Hades 2 (early access) last night

It's already fuckin fire

Made it past the second boss this morning before I had to leave for work :cry:
Would it be sacrilege to say that I hope Hades 2 is a little... easier?

I loved the first one, but the difficulty curve eventually put me off. I nearly defeated the final boss exactly once, and then never managed to get anywhere near him again. After a point it wasn't fun anymore - an RSI risk more than anything else.

So far I'd say it's pretty on par - first boss is easier than the first boss in Hades 1

Second boss is way fucking harder than the second boss in Hades 1 haha

It seems like I got more useful upgrades quicker so far in Hades 2 though

I'm curious to see if the early access will let us proceed all the way to the "end" of the game

I've seen a few returning gods as well as a couple new ones; stoked to find more

Check out this new Metroidvania. It's free on PS Plus Extra if you have it. Currently 10/10 on Steam. Go in as blind as possible.

Going to DL this for one of my kids. He will be thrilled. Thanks for posting!

I hear it's a cross between Halo 2 and Halo 3
I read the same comment on Eurogamer (who gave it a 5/5.) Did you write it? :D

I downloaded it last night (in response to that 5/5), but so far I'm not really into it. The "feel" is just off, which makes some of the platforming challenges annoying. (IMO.) I assume it gets better based on all the rave reviews, but I'm not sure I'll get that far.

I read the same comment on Eurogamer (who gave it a 5/5.) Did you write it? :D

I downloaded it last night (in response to that 5/5), but so far I'm not really into it. The "feel" is just off, which makes some of the platforming challenges annoying. (IMO.) I assume it gets better based on all the rave reviews, but I'm not sure I'll get that far.
Nah this was produced? By a "famous" YTer, Dunkey. He released a video about it coming out and this was the running joke.

But that aside, hats off to the developer Billy Basso. Guy did everything himself to the point of creating his own engine to run the game. Not that it would excuse any flaws in the game but still pretty cool!

Nah this was produced? By a "famous" YTer, Dunkey. He released a video about it coming out and this was the running joke.

But that aside, hats off to the developer Billy Basso. Guy did everything himself to the point of creating his own engine to run the game. Not that it would excuse any flaws in the game but still pretty cool!
Wow - props to the developer!

Eurogamer tend to fall all over themselves when they review indie, pixel art games, and then go really lukewarm with corporate AAA games - even exceptional ones. Comments in response to a 4/5 or 5/5 indie game that runs 3 hours long are often along the lines of "Better than [insert popular AAA game that EG slagged]." I thought the Halo comment was one of those. :D

Wow - props to the developer!

Eurogamer tend to fall all over themselves when they review indie, pixel art games, and then go really lukewarm with corporate AAA games - even exceptional ones. Comments in response to a 4/5 or 5/5 indie game that runs 3 hours long are often along the lines of "Better than [insert popular AAA game that EG slagged]." I thought the Halo comment was one of those. :D
Yeah pixel art games and metroidvanias are still quite popular. Not as popular as maybe 5 years ago but still get the people going.

Yeah pixel art games and metroidvanias are still quite popular. Not as popular as maybe 5 years ago but still get the people going.
I love Metroidvania's. It's more a matter of EG having a bias toward (nostalgia for?) indie/ pixel art/ retro games, and consistently going overboard with praise when the games themselves are (sometimes) meh.

I think it's the same issue as movie critics. When you see by-the-numbers blockbusters every year you can get jaded and anything that breaks the mold is far more interesting.

Nintendo games are pretty much the only AAA games that sets their sights high for gameplay features, probably because the Switch is potato hardware. Otherwise you need to look at indie titles for doing something different from the mainstream - and for every success there's going to be a group of middling entries there too.

I love commenting before reading :hmm :ROFLMAO:

1. What's Metroidvania (other than a verbal mashup of Metroid and Castlevania which I actually loved back in the day?"
2. Can I play this game on one of my kid's PD-wtfevers?

Would it be sacrilege to say that I hope Hades 2 is a little... easier?

I loved the first one, but the difficulty curve eventually put me off. I nearly defeated the final boss exactly once, and then never managed to get anywhere near him again. After a point it wasn't fun anymore - an RSI risk more than anything else.
Yeah, I haven't played it, but the anxiety this game induces in the boy could come down a knotch and make eeeeeverybody a touch a happier in our house.

I love commenting before reading :hmm :ROFLMAO:

1. What's Metroidvania (other than a verbal mashup of Metroid and Castlevania which I actually loved back in the day?"
2. Can I play this game on one of my kid's PD-wtfevers?
1) I believe it is a call back to old school Metroid and Castlevania games where death is a little more punishing and you aren't really told what to do or where to explore, it's up to you

2) idk what a PD-wtfevers is 🤣

You can play it on the switch which I feel like is the most likely fill in for said PD-wtfevers

Back