NDSP Quad Cortex

The thing is while 3.0 adds plug-in compatibility on the QC, it’s not really the finish line for plugins if only 4 of them are actually portable. So as much as we’d like to look at 3.0 as the finish line, they still have another 18 or so plugins to update.
This is what I've been on (and on, and on, and on) about from the beginning. NDSP's approach was never going to result in "QC Plugin Compatibility" per se, but merely "QC-Compatible Plugin Compatibility". Which will always be a work in progress.

(I just had that weird thing where "compatibility" doesn't sound like a word anymore.)

If they release a Cortex Native (seriously, they are going to rip off that name too?) plugin, that would make sense because they have already oversaturated the market with all those Archetype plugins so probably the sales figures from any new ones don't look as good unless they can attach some really big name to it. Wouldn't be surprised if NDSP give QC owners a discount on the plugin too like Line6 does.

NDSP plugins are already priced at levels that don't really appeal, as the prices have gone up from 99 € to 119 € for most plugins. That 99 € mark was IMO pretty crucial. By comparison e.g ML Sound Lab is still in the 40-99 € range because they can keep that easier as a 2 person company vs NDSP with 50+ people.
Yep. Much as I'd prefer a QC Native* plugin over their current a la carte model (and now this tail-wagging-dog paradigm of buying plugin content for one's hardware modeler), I don't see how they could get there without a) charging a fortune for it, or b) completely undermining revenue from their current line of Archetypes, etc. etc.

*Aside: I don't think "ripping off" this name even bears mentioning, really. "Native" is as much part of the common vernacular as "plugin". If anything, everyone is ripping off Native Instruments, and even that's a stretch.

Prone to noise, the overall grounding of the device isn’t done very well. I’ve recorded them in the studio a few times and almost every time as soon as it’s powered up, something will start humming. Easy enough to fix but it’s definitely a design flaw
I think you're probably making a valid point regarding the overall grounding of the device, but I'm still not convinced that the PSU itself has anything to do with it.

+1. Besides some notable outliers (Tom Morello and Granophyre, for exampe), pretty much all plugins are small variants on the exact same set of amps.

I think this will be way more notable on the FX side though. Once people are able to load plugins in their QCs, they will able to very easily A/B them.
I just really hope NDSP doesn't release these plugins with partial content, e.g. amps but no effects.

895878.jpg

Y'know I just realised I never looked at that above picture closely 'til now. It's actually a very neat and tidy way to do it instead of trying to put the amps, effects, and cabs, in with the others of the QC and having them greyed out or not depending on whether you have them or something like that.
I wonder if the plugins only appear in the list if you have them or will it show all of them regardless of whether you have them or not, only inactive if you don't possess it?

Unlikely.

03__1_.png
This is looking good.

Next observation/ hope/ concern: I hope that menu structure isn't going to be the only way to get at plugin content. Meaning, I hope e.g. "Plini Crunch" can be found under the amp model menu, "Plini Overdrive" under the OD/DIST menu, and so on. Having amp models and amp captures in disparate menus is already a minor annoyance; new folders for every plugin would compound matters significantly.

Y'know I just realised I never looked at that above picture closely 'til now. It's actually a very neat and tidy way to do it instead of trying to put the amps, effects, and cabs, in with the others of the QC and having them greyed out or not depending on whether you have them or something like that.
I wonder if the plugins only appear in the list if you have them or will it show all of them regardless of whether you have them or not, only inactive if you don't possess it?
LOL I think we posted diametrically opposed viewpoints simultaneously.

I'm guessing e.g. the Plini submenu would only appear if you owned it. Otherwise, eventually, major clutter.

But personally, I'd rather see all the amps where amps go, all the distortions where distortions go, all the reverbs where reverbs go, etc. (Call me crazy...)

LOL I think we posted diametrically opposed viewpoints simultaneously.

I'm guessing e.g. the Plini submenu would only appear if you owned it. Otherwise, eventually, major clutter.

But personally, I'd rather see all the amps where amps go, all the distortions where distortions go, all the reverbs where reverbs go, etc. (Call me crazy...)

I guess we'll find out. S O O N

This is looking good.

Next observation/ hope/ concern: I hope that menu structure isn't going to be the only way to get at plugin content. Meaning, I hope e.g. "Plini Crunch" can be found under the amp model menu, "Plini Overdrive" under the OD/DIST menu, and so on. Having amp models and amp captures in disparate menus is already a minor annoyance; new folders for every plugin would compound matters significantly.

Both would be good thinking about it. On the one hand I can see why they would do this because it makes making presets that are based off a single plugin much easier, but I can see how only having this option makes mix and matching more of a pain.

One thing I can't see in that pic is where will presets from your plugin exist? Your own and artists'. I wonder if when you click on to the directory will you see the presets classed along the lines of Factory, User, Setlist 1-X (or whatever names you've given them), and then the plugins in order.

Nice option….not sure if the added latency would allow wahwahcontrol…is assume no…
This is an important question. The CME stuff is really low-latency (compared with most generic Bluetooth devices.) It still comes down to personal sensitivity, though.

The Paint Audio MIDI controllers are bundled with a wireless MIDI receiver that's even lower latency than the CME tx/rx. I have the MIDI Captain: 10 switches with 2 expression pedal inputs. They're coming out with some smaller controllers (one and two-switch variations) you could consider integrating into your rig. (Scratch that - it doesn't look like the MIDI Captain UNO or DUO have expression pedal inputs. Shame, the DUO looks really cool otherwise. :()

As for a smaller board for the QC and one or two additional pedals, Gator makes some stuff that fits perfectly. Here's my board with an expression pedal, wireless audio and MIDI, and battery power underneath:

pCbwjYb.jpg

lqllwYh.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. Much as I'd prefer a QC Native* plugin over their current a la carte model (and now this tail-wagging-dog paradigm of buying plugin content for one's hardware modeler), I don't see how they could get there without a) charging a fortune for it, or b) completely undermining revenue from their current line of Archetypes, etc. etc.

*Aside: I don't think "ripping off" this name even bears mentioning, really. "Native" is as much part of the common vernacular as "plugin". If anything, everyone is ripping off Native Instruments, and even that's a stretch.
I guess we’ll know soon (no pun intended) enough if they start releasing a Cortex LT, QC Stomp XL, and even a Quad Express.

Frustrated Skip Bayless GIF

I guess we’ll know soon (no pun intended) enough if they start releasing a Cortex LT, QC Stomp XL, and even a Quad Express.

Frustrated Skip Bayless GIF
Naming concerns aside, I can't imagine they have the bandwidth. They barely got the QC out the door. (That sounds a bit negative ;) so I'll add: I'm glad they did.)

Naming concerns aside, I can't imagine they have the bandwidth. They barely got the QC out the door. (That sounds a bit negative ;) so I'll add: I'm glad they did.)
Is there a summer NAMM
My prediction is they have the PCOM up and running and they introduce the Dual Cortex in that time frame leading up to the show

This is what I've been on (and on, and on, and on) about from the beginning. NDSP's approach was never going to result in "QC Plugin Compatibility" per se, but merely "QC-Compatible Plugin Compatibility". Which will always be a work in progress.

(I just had that weird thing where "compatibility" doesn't sound like a word anymore.)

“The QC is now fully compatible with select Neural Plugins that are compatible with the QC. Neural Plug-ins that are not compatible with the QC, (which is is now fully compatible with select compatible Neural Plugins) will be made compatible soon. Future Neural Plugins may not be QC compatible at release, but will be brought to full compatibility at a future date with the QC, which is now fully compatible with select compatible Neural plugins”

“The QC is now fully compatible with select Neural Plugins that are compatible with the QC. Neural Plug-ins that are not compatible with the QC, (which is is now fully compatible with select compatible Neural Plugins) will be made compatible soon. Future Neural Plugins may not be QC compatible at release, but will be brought to full compatibility at a future date with the QC, which is now fully compatible with select compatible Neural plugins”
Sad John Cena GIF

Is that a real quote or 🤣

Back