This is some heavy metal

Geesh man, that is a HUGE f'in job, no doubt. I'm sure there's going to be hitches arising, seems there always are - but I hope it goes well for you!
True. My saying- Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

My only fear would be doing it over the weekend, when stores (not places like Lowe's or Home Depot) aren't open.

Towers are off the roof!

IMG_6364.jpeg

IMG_6372.jpeg

IMG_6371.jpeg

The initial plan was to keep them suspended while the work was taking place, but the wind was picking up and we have to coordinate all this with the airport across the street since the planes take off over our buildings, it was just easier to put them down.

Only one small patch of rain so far, thankfully it sprinkled then stopped. The majority of my stress period is over, after seeing how well they got the towers down without even coming close to touching the buildings I’ve got enough faith to relax a bit.

Towers are off the roof!

View attachment 22147
View attachment 22148
View attachment 22149

The initial plan was to keep them suspended while the work was taking place, but the wind was picking up and we have to coordinate all this with the airport across the street since the planes take off over our buildings, it was just easier to put them down.

Only one small patch of rain so far, thankfully it sprinkled then stopped. The majority of my stress period is over, after seeing how well they got the towers down without even coming close to touching the buildings I’ve got enough faith to relax a bit.
This is impressive to witness I bet!

Towers are off the roof!

View attachment 22147
View attachment 22148
View attachment 22149

Why do all the cranes seem to have that same flag on the end of their boom?
Is it their union flag or something?

How much to rent a crane for the day?

Asking for a friend.....

Not sure about the day but it’s usually $2K to get them here just to pull a unit off the roof and place another one down, then you got permit fees. I’ll probably see the breakdown of it when I approve the invoices for this job.

Depending on what the job is, I don’t even look at certain costs. In this case, I was focused on the cost of the steel and chiller repairs and the crane wasn’t important. When we do smaller split system installs I’ll get picky about the crane stuff. If I can save $2K on a $12K AC install by carrying a condenser unit to the roof instead of hiring a crane, I’m definitely taking that option.

Why do all the cranes seem to have that same flag on the end of their boom?
Is it their union flag or something?

For aircrafts. While the likeliness of a plane hitting a crane in the middle of the city is pretty slim, it’s a legit concern here because the runway is about 1000ft from the top of that roof. I’ve probably said it before, but that’s the airport the 9/11 terrorists learned to fly at.

98% success yesterday!

With everything off the roof-
image000002.jpeg

Working on new fittings in the alley while the crew reassembles the new frame- (TSJ and la szu, the roll up doors on the right in this pic are the doors to the infamous ‘loading dick’)
image000005.jpeg

This was pretty impressive to watch; getting the crane operator to move the cooling tower a half-inch at a time until they dry fit the fittings and set it down-
image000000.jpeg

Both towers back on-
image000001.jpeg

We had one 12” fitting that feeds water back into the building not fit, it most likely got damaged over the last couple days because all of this was dry fit before it left the shop. No biggie, they have an extra ready to go.

Today is all rebuilding the frame/grates while the insulation adhesive dries on the chiller, tomorrow we re-attach power and start filling the system up with water again. Everything is right on schedule to start up Tuesday!

Attachments

• image000003.jpeg
    image000003.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 7
  • image000004.jpeg
    image000004.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 8
And each one was put into its final resting position by one dude with a 24” 2x4 while 4 other guys pointed out his inability to do it empty handed and without the crane keeping it suspended. :rofl
I love crane day, but in my business, so few people know how to keep things moving along, and keep that $250/hr. crane DOING SOMETHING!

I've had a few houses where I've pre-built all the walls, and just getting people to understand they need to have the next wall ready to be lifted as soon as the crane lifts the previous one, is a challenge. (That's why we have multiple slings, guys!)

And we always use one for setting trusses, unless the job is small enough to just use a telehandler. Fun stuff!!

All about the planning.

Congrats @DrewJD82, hope this is a milestone project with some serious coin attached to a project perfectly executed
which would be the worthy equivalent of a victory pick toss

:beer

Oh, there was serious coin involved, but it was us paying. :roflThe payoff is coordinating/pulling this off knowing I started this job plunging toilets 6 years ago for $13.50 an hour as an entry level maintenance tech. When we started bidding this out we were trying to get one company to handle every aspect, it led to a lot of frustration and once I identified the scope of work I just hired everyone out myself. We saved a ton of money and as long as the chiller is turned on at 7AM Tuesday, did it in half as much time as anyone was quoting us for.

Oh, there was serious coin involved, but it was us paying. :roflThe payoff is coordinating/pulling this off knowing I started this job plunging toilets 6 years ago for $13.50 an hour as an entry level maintenance tech. When we started bidding this out we were trying to get one company to handle every aspect, it led to a lot of frustration and once I identified the scope of work I just hired everyone out myself. We saved a ton of money and as long as the chiller is turned on at 7AM Tuesday, did it in half as much time as anyone was quoting us for.

Celebrate In Love GIF by Max

And today was the big day when we turned everything back on!

We could have turned it on yesterday but I made the call to allow for the full 72 hours for the adhesive to dry on the chiller insulation, no point in ruining a $15K insulation job over 8 hours time difference.

Cooling towers fired right up, no leaks in any piping! Chiller fired right up, ran for 5 minutes then shut down and the guys I use proved themselves once more, there was one loose connection somewhere along the way, dude found it in seconds, but the chiller has a an automated shut down procedure you can’t abort, so we had to wait 45 minutes to turn it back on and thats when all hell broke loose with a particular tenant who believes the sun revolves around them.

Now it’s all up and running, took a whopping 13 minutes to bring 84 degree water down to 44 degrees!

Pretty damn badass, all that work that went on and the only hitch was a valve that wasn’t the right size and a loose connection with some wiring! I’d love to be able to enjoy it but it looks like I’ll be having a meeting with an angry tenant instead. :rofl

And today was the big day when we turned everything back on!

We could have turned it on yesterday but I made the call to allow for the full 72 hours for the adhesive to dry on the chiller insulation, no point in ruining a $15K insulation job over 8 hours time difference.

Cooling towers fired right up, no leaks in any piping! Chiller fired right up, ran for 5 minutes then shut down and the guys I use proved themselves once more, there was one loose connection somewhere along the way, dude found it in seconds, but the chiller has a an automated shut down procedure you can’t abort, so we had to wait 45 minutes to turn it back on and thats when all hell broke loose with a particular tenant who believes the sun revolves around them.

Now it’s all up and running, took a whopping 13 minutes to bring 84 degree water down to 44 degrees!

Pretty damn badass, all that work that went on and the only hitch was a valve that wasn’t the right size and a loose connection with some wiring! I’d love to be able to enjoy it but it looks like I’ll be having a meeting with an angry tenant instead. :rofl
Excellent on everything but the meeting. I bet that was pretty satisfying to fire it all back up!

Back