There is a lot of redundancy and overlap in my amplifier collection.

I’ve been going through my amps, playing them and evaluating which can be sold or at least taken out of rotation. Unfortunately, there’s no way to make this decision. Every time I play one I think “dang, this sounds amazing”. But that happens for all of them.

The PRS HDRX 20 is pretty close to the 1967 Fender Bassman which is pretty close to JTM45 clone which is pretty close to the Marshall Vintage Modern. The Vintage Modern has one thing over the rest, an effects loop.

I have a Peavey Windsor that is kinda sucky but I can do the one thing it does well with my DSL40C and I can do that even better with the Peavey 5150. The only one I wouldn’t have an issue selling is the Windsor but no one wants those. I’m going to use it for a mod platform.

I’m not even going to get into my redundant pedal collection because I don’t even use pedals anymore.

I’m going to have to sell something. I’m actively trying to pare it down to 4 amplifiers that are in regular use but I’m finding it very difficult.

The PRS HDRX 20 is pretty close to the 1967 Fender Bassman which is pretty close to JTM45 clone which is pretty close to the Marshall Vintage Modern. The Vintage Modern has one thing over the rest, an effects loop.
Assuming you’re using all three for the Hendrix thing, which does it better? Personally, I’d like an effects loop, but practically everyone who used a JTM45 back in the day did just fine without one.

The Vintage Modern also has an extra gain stage.

The HDRX 20 really nails that Wind Cries Mary.

The JTM clone isn’t worth much so I’d rather just keep it.

I think I’m just going to store the Bassman, HDRX and JTM clone.

You can come up with benefits in keeping any amp, that will never change. Question is…what is the price you pay for keeping it…and does the scale tip to the right side?

Practical solution:
Get one of these new Tonex Ones and a DI box…300,- tops….capture the amps that are candidates for sale/storage….keep an amp with an fx loop to plug that tonex into…and still have the character that amp brought in your arsenal. Maybe you need to add an EQ pedal to that…but within the restrictions of whatever cabdimensions you use…it will be very very close (and amplike)

Ever since I captured amps and preamps…after comparing head to head through guitarcabs…I have lost the desire to buy amps for specific sounds that come from preamps/designs. Offcourse poweramps and cabs remain…but a couple of good ones of those + digital = more per m2.

The Bassman is probably the most valuable out of these so for selling that I'd think of what you could do with the money.

Otherwise I'd keep the Vintage Modern and 5150 and try to sell the rest.

Or you could go the other way around and start buying more cabs with different speakers to make each amp sound different.

Check out the Weber Z Matcher, I was having the same issue with my vintage Fender. Now I can use it with every cab I got.

qDQqEM8l.jpg

The PRS HDRX 20 is pretty close to the 1967 Fender Bassman which is pretty close to JTM45 clone which is pretty close to the Marshall Vintage Modern.

My Skill is really close to the KSR Vesta, which is also pretty close to the Superlead pre-amp, which I can make sound pretty much the same as my D100 pre-amp.

Rock amps 101: To the average listener they ALL sound the pretty much the same.

But I like that they have different form factors and cosmetics.
May sound very similar but they each have a very unique vibe when playing them.

(y)

Last edited:
Back