Is a KT66 amp inherently loose in the bottom end?

I’ve got a Marshall Vintage Modern 2466. I really like how it’s set up and the tone with the extra preamp tube and the Detail and Body controls. However I find it a little loose in the bottom end. All of my other Marshalls are EL34 and none of them have that issue. I’m wondering if it’s the KT66 power section that’s causing the looseness.

I’m very willing to mod my amp if I can tighten it up a little but if it’s just an inherent characteristic of KT66s I’ll leave it as it is.

I’ve got a Marshall Vintage Modern 2466. I really like how it’s set up and the tone with the extra preamp tube and the Detail and Body controls. However I find it a little loose in the bottom end. All of my other Marshalls are EL34 and none of them have that issue. I’m wondering if it’s the KT66 power section that’s causing the looseness.

I’m very willing to mod my amp if I can tighten it up a little but if it’s just an inherent characteristic of KT66s I’ll leave it as it is.

It's funny, just reading the thread title I was going to comment about the VM 2466. I love that amp and it was my #1 for years, but yes the bottom end is pretty loose. I don't know if it's a characteristic of KT66s or just the design of that amp, though. I think Steve Dawson, the designer, was going for a hot-rodded JTM thing, inspired by his work on the Hendrix reissue stack. Maybe @santiall can comment?

You could try Gold Lion KT66s instead of the stock Shuguangs. I found they firmed up the bottom a bit, although I felt they took away some of the amp's character I liked (rich mids, mainly). Made it a bit more Fender-y.

Are you referring to looseness/tightness in terms of palm muting for fast metal, etc? To me the 2466 is more of a classic rock amp and the looseness is part of that vibe.

It's funny, just reading the thread title I was going to comment about the VM 2466. I love that amp and it was my #1 for years, but yes the bottom end is pretty loose. I don't know if it's a characteristic of KT66s or just the design of that amp, though. I think Steve Dawson, the designer, was going for a hot-rodded JTM thing, inspired by his work on the Hendrix reissue stack. Maybe @santiall can comment?

You could try Gold Lion KT66s instead of the stock Shuguangs. I found they firmed up the bottom a bit, although I felt they took away some of the amp's character I liked (rich mids, mainly). Made it a bit more Fender-y.
At one time I had two 2466s. One had Gold Lions. The other has something else. I’m going to be honest that I’m not sure which one i kept. 😂 I’ll look today after gym.

I do know i sold the one that was modified with a choke as it made exactly zero difference to the tone and tightness.

Are you referring to looseness/tightness in terms of palm muting for fast metal, etc? To me the 2466 is more of a classic rock amp and the looseness is part of that vibe.
It just has that flubby bass. Palm mutes work but they could be more immediate (if that makes sense).

Ok. I’m going to embarrass myself: instead of going Dt Dt Dt, it goes Buhlm buhlm buhlm. 😂😂😂

What speakers are you using it with? It was designed around the G12Cs that came in the VM cabs and Hendrix stack, which I think have slightly tighter bottom end than regular greenbacks?

What speakers are you using it with? It was designed around the G12Cs that came in the VM cabs and Hendrix stack, which I think have slightly tighter bottom end than regular greenbacks?
I had a 425A cab. I’ve got to say that i love Celestion speakers but the G12C is awful. I sold the cabinet because it just sounded awful until I put some Vintage 30s in it. I tried to sell the speakers alone but eventually put the G12Cs back in it and sent it on its way. The cab was kind of thin sounding and still flubby in the bottom. I just couldn’t get on with it.

It’s much better with Vintage 30s and original Greenbacks. Even G12K-85 and G12-T75s sounds great with it.

If the 2466 is designed to work with thin sounding speakers, that would explain it and that probably means i can mod out the bottom end with a few capacitor changes. Maybe? I hope.

I had a 425A cab. I’ve got to say that i love Celestion speakers but the G12C is awful. I sold the cabinet because it just sounded awful until I put some Vintage 30s in it. I tried to sell the speakers alone but eventually put the G12Cs back in it and sent it on its way. The cab was kind of thin sounding and still flubby in the bottom. I just couldn’t get on with it.

It’s much better with Vintage 30s and original Greenbacks. Even G12K-85 and G12-T75s sounds great with it.

If the 2466 is designed to work with thin sounding speakers, that would explain it and that probably means i can mod out the bottom end with a few capacitor changes. Maybe? I hope.

Interesting, I liked the G12Cs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I had a 425A too, but went with a 1960BX because I much prefer straight cabs and that's what was available at the time.

Here's a fun old pic from when I had both cabs.

02192012254_Original.jpeg

It just has that flubby bass. Palm mutes work but they could be more immediate (if that makes sense).

Ok. I’m going to embarrass myself: instead of going Dt Dt Dt, it goes Buhlm buhlm buhlm. 😂😂😂

That's not the amp for the palm mutes or chugs, to be quite frank about it. :pitchforks

:LOL:

I sometimes think we are our own biggest obstacles when we engage with gear,
and then expect a piece of kit to deliver on something that it doesn't promise, and
likely never will. :idk

That's not the amp for the palm mutes or chugs, to be quite frank about it. :pitchforks

:LOL:

I sometimes think we are our own biggest obstacles when we engage with gear,
and then expect a piece of kit to deliver on something that it doesn't promise, and
likely never will. :idk

Exactly. The phrase “barking up the wrong tree”’comes to mind.

Yup. More Robin Trower-ish, and less Exodus-ish. :beer

Sometimes---and this is just my own take---that fatness and looseness
when you are playing in the lower register on the E string is all that
creamy goodness and warmth when you are wailing with bends on
the high E and climbing the fretboard. Really hard for amps to have both
of those things. Really hard. If it is tight and articulate when muting
while playing a badass rhythm or riff, then it is often shrill and piercing
when you go for the money notes above the 15th fret on the unwound
strings. Amps can be a pick your poison affair a lot of the time. :idk

Always wondered about these amps. My eyes definitely go towards the 'Modern' so I would probably be expecting a boost induced chug as well.

The KT66..-the gravy without the train.
It’s a world of milkshake in a tube.
The real deal Genalex NOS 66’s.
Those are sick af.
335 neck pick-up,-no more flippin’ burgers..,
-Saturday you go out and play..

Back