Synergy SYN1 + BE module incoming

They've always intrigued me but I wasn't sure how much it would differ/offer over digital gear

My ears aren't good enough to tell you the difference in any concrete terms, and it's certainly possible it's all in my head.

Be that as it may, it sounds great without much fuss and tweaking. I think my issue with modelers is there's always that "what if I tweak this parameter a bit" thing going on. But is that because it's not getting the sound i want already? With something like this that absolutely nails the amp, made by the guy who created the amp, that thought doesn't enter my head.

Nice. The Synergy stuff is really good. When I ran it 4CM with a modeler you could tell you were injecting that bit of air and openness with the modules engaged. Little bit less compressed and some of that amp noisiness.

Once you order that next module you’ll be shopping for a SYN2 or SYN50 head. :p

Nice. The Synergy stuff is really good. When I ran it 4CM with a modeler you could tell you were injecting that bit of air and openness with the modules engaged. Little bit less compressed and some of that amp noisiness.

Once you order that next module you’ll be shopping for a SYN2 or SYN50 head. :p
LOL. Just ordered the IICP module...

LOL. Just ordered the IICP module...
Steve Urkel Oops GIF

I had a SYN1 and a HBE module. Sold it, but in hindsight, with a Duncan Powerstage 700 and a couple pedals it would be a pretty kick ass small stereo rig with 2 1x12's! The HBE module was just a little bit to saturated, I think the BE is punchier.

From my time w Synergy I thought the Soldano was the standout
Even though it is one of the oldest and only a single channel one
That module kicks serious A$$

It's pretty fantastic, honestly. I've had 5 of the modules and it's easily my favorite, especially with a boost. This is my recording of it, SLO into the SYN5050, to a Torpedo Captor X running Ownhammer IRs:

That's badass! Did you use a boost on that? If so, what one?

It's not exactly my tone but for guitars on the brighter thinner side it is surprisingly good.
Yeah I used that module a lot with the BB as a pedal platform and the BE gain side that did thin out a bit but cut like crazy. That’s one thing I think people sometimes tend to forget dialing in a nice thick tone with bass at home sounds fun but you put that in a mix live or whatever…. if your tone isn’t nice and up there through the mids and upper mids with the bass cut back… you won’t be heard near as well.

BTW I thought the analog cab out the Syn1 sounded better than a lot of IR’s I tried for the very reason. It cut.

Yep. IICP is the shiznit... Only had a few minutes with it during lunch, probably won't get much more until the weekend. But dang... It sounds exactly the way you'd hope.

One small complaint. The graphic eq is beyond tiny, and the sliders don't all slide with the same ease. Will take some time to get them exactly right.

I don't want to do a rack again, but I think 4 modules would really do the trick, lol...

You’re currently in Phase 1 of the Synergy lifecycle:
  1. SYN1 (This is fun, I should buy another module. Buys another module. Damn I wish I could use both)
  2. SYN2 (This is really fun. I should try another module. Damn, I can’t look at my 3rd module going unused, a second SYN2 would be epic)
  3. Dual SYN2 (This is indeed epic, but I can’t have an open slot in my second SYN2, I need a fourth module. Buys fourth module)
  4. (Fast forward 6 months) Holy shit I have 17 modules.

This dang system is addictive. I don't want to do a rack again, but I think 4 modules would really do the trick, lol...
I have owned 12 or 13 in total so far. Instead of buying and trying overdrives, i now flip synergy modules lol. I sometimes rebuy one ive had previously. Im trying to hold to a rule of “only 4 on hand at a time”

I have SLO, VH4 and Plexi all for sale ($300’each) - PM if any interest :).
Yes that’s completely shameless of me

Last edited:
You’re currently in Phase 1 of the Synergy lifecycle:
  1. SYN1 (This is fun, I should buy another module. Buys another module. Damn I wish I could use both)
  2. SYN2 (This is really fun. I should try another module. Damn, I can’t look at my 3rd module going unused, a second SYN2 would be epic)
  3. Dual SYN2 (This is indeed epic, but I can’t have an open slot in my second SYN2, I need a fourth module. Buys fourth module)
  4. (Fast forward 6 months) Holy s**t I have 17 modules.
Edit for #4:
  • (Fast forward 6 months) Holy s**t I have 17 modules; I need a ninth Syn2!

Sweetwater had a buy the SYN1, get the BE/BE module free deal going, so I impulse bought :D as a way to get started in the system. It gets here Wednesday. I'm already wanting to get the IICP and Hebert modules... I will say Michael Nielson's and Leon Todd's videos are really GAS inducing... :D

Anybody using these? @JiveTurkey I believe you have/had some of this line?
I love the Synergy stuff.

I have a Syn-2 and like 8 or 9 modules. The Herbert, like the IICP were not keepers for me. The Ecstacy and Uber modules are amazing as is the Deliverance and PowerBall.

I was using a Fryette PS100 but recently been favoring the KSR PA50 as the negative feedback control is a great tool for making stuff fatter or even ultra tight.

Getting kind of a farty noise on the clean channel of the IICP on the E string. Does not seem to happen on the red channel. Have to do some trouble shooting this weekend. :(

Figured it out. For some reason, the lead channel controls are affecting the clean channel. I know the clean volume feeds into the lead channel, that's normal. But when on the clean channel, changing the lead drive brings the fartiness in. Also, changing the lead brite and lead shift switches affects the clean channel. I don't think this should be this way, and it certainly doesn't seem to be this way on Leon's or Michael's videos... Anybody know?

Back