Superior Drummer 3 sale

For some reason when I looked on Sweetwater the first time it wasn't showing on sale. It is now. Looks like the sale is for the whole month of March. That makes me wonder if version 4 is right around the corner.

I have been using Logic so I am not sure I need this but I have also been thinking of setting up my Windows machine with Cubase. I bought it a couple of years ago but don't really use it since I have been using Logic with good results. I used to be a ProTools user but their pricing drove me out. I bought Logic for the one year price of ProTools and I don't have to keep paying for it each year. Since I was able to use ProTools on both Mac and Windows, I wanted another DAW I could do that with so I bought Cubase. Logic has been working well enough for me that I haven't really delved into it.

If I am not mistaken, I can use Superior Drummer with all of these DAW and machines I have. I have Steven Slate Drums but haven't found that one to be real useful. I will think this one over. I may buy it.

I guess a new version is possible but it felt like SD2 was around for like a decade before SD3 was released. I think it’s more likely Toontrack is trying to bump up revenue during a sales slump.

The last month I’ve been bombarded by sale and discount codes from other plugin companies too. Everyone is chasing 2021-2022 revenue numbers.

I’m not sure what they could do in SD4 that would be worthy of an upgrade. I’d imagine it’d have to be some kind of UI aspect that made the process ‘better’, as when it comes to the sounds SD3 is quite full featured and deep as it is.

They really haven’t done a lot with SDX’s with SD3, though I don’t see them releasing a new one just after having a sale on the old shit.

I’m not sure what they could do in SD4 that would be worthy of an upgrade. I’d imagine it’d have to be some kind of UI aspect that made the process ‘better’, as when it comes to the sounds SD3 is quite full featured and deep as it is.

They really haven’t done a lot with SDX’s with SD3, though I don’t see them releasing a new one just after having a sale on the old shit.
Maybe AI-driven enhancements could find their way into SD4 (something like EZDrummer 3's bandmate).

The SD3 era SDX’s have all been pretty amazing but everything feels way more expensive than before, and they’ve covered so much ground already.

They’re almost victims of their own success - it seems like they have to go to greater and greater lengths to make a pack that offers something new or different and it becomes a hard sell when you have most bases covered.

SD3 is far and away the best drum sampler you can buy, and even though it’s been out a while the competition still hasn’t caught up. I’d be surprised if SD4 is around the corner unless they have something truly groundbreaking that cannot wait any longer.

They’ve been incredibly stingy with sales on SD3 era products, it could just be that the older SDX’s will finally go on sale now as some of those have been available for like 5 years and always excluded from sales

I got SD3 right before they ended their upgrade pricing from SD2. A sale for a cheaper way to enter their ecosystem is good.

The best deals for Toontrack libraries used to be through dealers like Sweetwater, Audiodeluxe, and JRR Shop. The prices of sale items on the Toontrack website have matched their dealers the past few years.

The cheapest way to get the newer SDXs (Rooms of Hansa, Fields of Eock, etc.) is the 3 pack from a site like Thomann. It’s $315 on Thomann vs $350 from a domestic dealer for those of us in the US.

The cheapest way to get the newer SDXs (Rooms of Hansa, Fields of Eock, etc.) is the 3 pack from a site like Thomann. It’s $315 on Thomann vs $350 from a domestic dealer for those of us in the US.
Yep, and on KVR/Knobcloud/Facebook there’s often people who’ve done the 3 pack deal and are selling off individual licences. Can be a good way of grabbing newer SDX’s for $100-120

One of my fears is that they are in the software business. That business is all about new versions. That is how they get the biggest cash influx. I work in a company that builds internal software as well as using software built by other companies. I know how they think. I was a developer for a while. I also see it with DAW software. They want to put a new version out every year or two to get cash flow. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they are going to release a new version soon and they are trying to squeeze as much revenue out of the current version as they can before they release it. That is common practice in the software industry. They just have to manage the timespan between the sale on the current version and the release of the new version to not make their customers mad.

With that said, it is still a great piece of software at one of the best prices they have ever had on it.

Maybe AI-driven enhancements could find their way into SD4 (something like EZDrummer 3's bandmate).
Honestly this would be amazing. Most of my time in EZDrummer is finding MIDI that fits 90% of the riff I’m playing in a section and then hand-programming the MIDI for that final 10% to make it work perfectly. Having an AI that listens to what I recorded and suggests various drum beats based on style (half time, double-bass, hi-hat or ride, syncopated, polyrhythm, etc.) would make it faster for me to make music and would probably come out better as well. More time being creative and less time messing with MIDI.

One of my fears is that they are in the software business. That business is all about new versions. That is how they get the biggest cash influx. I work in a company that builds internal software as well as using software built by other companies. I know how they think. I was a developer for a while. I also see it with DAW software. They want to put a new version out every year or two to get cash flow. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they are going to release a new version soon and they are trying to squeeze as much revenue out of the current version as they can before they release it. That is common practice in the software industry. They just have to manage the timespan between the sale on the current version and the release of the new version to not make their customers mad.

With that said, it is still a great piece of software at one of the best prices they have ever had on it.

I have been with Superior drums since the beginning, They always offer excellent upgrade deals for present owners. My upgrade from 2 to 3 was stupid cheap. Probably cheaper added together than the price of SD3 alone. The business model you described is why I've been with Reaper for a long time as well.

Back