So I ordered the Mr Scary mod for my Badlander 100

Been very much thinking of doing the same. Good to know there is a lead time
I saw some available immediately on Reverb, but the Badlander requires a "socket extension", so I ordered direct from...

I saw some available immediately on Reverb, but the Badlander requires a "socket extension", so I ordered direct from...
Yup! If definitely order from the main source as well.

I'll be curious to hear you thoughts! I doubt I'll last a month tho 😂

How does the Badlander need more gain is what I am curious about? :idk

I get that kind of Mod for an amp with fewer gain stages... like a Plexi
or Marshall Superlead style amp.... which is what it was originally intended
for. Not sure how desirable that would be with an amp that already has
4 gain stages. Seems like it would be overkill and just get all mushy and
undefined.

Then again....

Gabriel Iglesias Creative Arts Emmys GIF by Emmys

:beer

Pretty sure that's said in relation to a vintage Non-Master Volume Marshall circuit, @TSJMajesty , and
the tubby low-end they can get when you have to crank the Master Volume because you only have the
2 preamp gain stages on those kinds of amps.

1710095028973.png

The Mr. Scary Mod adds an added gain stage after V2 on a Marshall of that type---to get you to 3 gain stages
and a more JCM800 style tone. The Badlander already has 4 gain stages, and with the Mr. Scary Mod would have 5.

More is more! :beer

Pretty sure that's said in relation to a vintage Non-Master Volume Marshall circuit, @TSJMajesty , and
the tubby low-end they can get when you have to crank the Master Volume because you only have the
2 preamp gain stages on those kinds of amps.

View attachment 19819

The Mr. Scary Mod adds an added gain stage after V2 on a Marshall of that type---to get you to 3 gain stages
and a more JCM800 style tone. The Badlander already has 4 gain stages, and with the Mr. Scary Mod would have 5.

More is more! :beer
This is from the Mesa section of their page:

"This mod is a great option to be able to keep the preamp gain control set lower at the front end in order to maintain note definition/articulation and then use the mod for an added gain stage later in the circuit to bring the sustain and ultimately have a tighter, more aggressive and dynamic tone and feel."

Really cool, didn't know the BL was compatible with it. I just listened back to some of the clips I made with mine in the Ceriatone 1987, dig how it keeps the core tone intact, just more gain and "squish" under the fingers, and tightening the bottom end a bit if you want.

Does it add more noise then if you boosted it with a pedal that’s a good match for the amp?
Who’s gonna break bad and unleash a Bass Boost modification to the Badlander?

There isn't that much gain in the BL. If you're looking for 5150 levels you're going to need to boost it. Perceived gain increases quite a bit with volume but it's still on the less saturated side.

I need a Fractal model of this asap, for testing purposes.

Does it add more noise then if you boosted it with a pedal that’s a good match for the amp?
Who’s gonna break bad and unleash a Bass Boost modification to the Badlander?
Can't speak for the Badlander as I don't own one but having had the Mr. Scary for about a year, I'll say it gets very similar results to having the amp front-ended by a boost but with lower noise levels.

Me too.
Can't speak for the Badlander as I don't own one but having had the Mr. Scary for about a year, I'll say it gets very similar results to having the amp front-ended by a boost but with lower noise levels.

Back