So Boss amp modeling…

metropolis_4

Shredder
@JiveTurkey this is sort of an open question to you since I know you’ve owned both, but also for anyone else with experience.

When I first got the SY-1000 I only spent a few minutes checking out the electronic guitar amps and I wasn’t impressed. Dark, dull, compressed, yuck.

Yesterday I spent a little more time with them and realized this might have been user error. The preset I was on had a compressor in front set really strong, and the presence on the amps defaulted to 0. :facepalm

I started dialing it in and found some really nice tones!

They aren’t as open and natural sounding as something like Fractal, and there’s still some compression, but they’ve got their own thing going on that’s really pleasant and makes me want to play more. Especially anything with “X” in the name.

I think I might have been wrong about Boss amp modeling.

This got me thinking about the GT-1000 and GX-100 and now I’m really curious what they’re like.

Are the amp sounds in the GT and GX the same as what’s in the SY? Is the GT similar to the SY but with more electric guitar specific stuff?

The whole “lowest latency, best feel” thing always has me wondering about them.

I don’t know what it is, if it’s latency or something else, but they really do feel great to me.

I know it’s a terrible way to describe something, but they are just very pleasant to play. Nothing stands out in any annoying way, the feel is good, the sounds are on the processed side but they are very enjoyable to use and listen to.

I got lost for hours with the X-OD into X-CRUNCH and X-MODDED, and the Guv DS into Boutique and Match Combo

@JiveTurkey this is sort of an open question to you since I know you’ve owned both, but also for anyone else with experience.

When I first got the SY-1000 I only spent a few minutes checking out the electronic guitar amps and I wasn’t impressed. Dark, dull, compressed, yuck.

Yesterday I spent a little more time with them and realized this might have been user error. The preset I was on had a compressor in front set really strong, and the presence on the amps defaulted to 0. :facepalm

I started dialing it in and found some really nice tones!

They aren’t as open and natural sounding as something like Fractal, and there’s still some compression, but they’ve got their own thing going on that’s really pleasant and makes me want to play more. Especially anything with “X” in the name.

I think I might have been wrong about Boss amp modeling.

This got me thinking about the GT-1000 and GX-100 and now I’m really curious what they’re like.

Are the amp sounds in the GT and GX the same as what’s in the SY? Is the GT similar to the SY but with more electric guitar specific stuff?

I was bitterly disappointed in the AIRD modelling on the GT-1000. So much weaksauce :(
You're both right. So damn weird.

If you let go of your preconceived notions of amp modeling from companies that give you an abundance of at least semi-accurate modeling and give in to the Boss way; its pretty damn enjoyable.

I haven't tried the GX. Screen looks clunky and I'd have GT envy so I'd just go for that. Not a fan of the Core at all. Feels way too crowded and I don't like the switching options, loop integration, or really anything about it.

I would probably just use the SY1000 as an all in one unit for a bit and see how it goes. I use it for band practice and it does all I need. I get jealous of the superior sound of the Boss dual pitch block when I go back to the Stomp at gigs. It's ok but Boss kills everyone else for that to my ears.

Last edited:
Tried the GT 1000 Core and full GT 1000 and was excited at first but it wore off. Amps have a narrow range between being fizzy and muddy. Also found they were hit or miss and didn’t sound as good for the vintage non master volume amps. But the low latency and high power thing is neat for sure.

Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

I'm wondering is it because I didn't bother with the factory patches and built my own from the off?

Because the factory patches sounded like wet blanket city. And ass.

I don't compare the core to other modelers, I compare it to my actual amps because I'm using them via loadboxes and IRs 95% of the time anyway.

Tbh I bought it for the FX and I/O to run wet FX. The X-Amps were a bonus.

The IRs were originally problematic, rather than the amps I feel.

If you let go of your preconceived notions of amp modeling from companies that give you an abundance of at least semi-accurate modeling and give in to the Boss way; its pretty damn enjoyable.

I think you’re right. If I try to look at it as traditional modeling in the sense of “this model = this real amp” it’s pretty terrible.

In fact the “models” named after real amps are usually the worst sounds (I’m looking at you Rectifier)

But if I look at it from a different perspective without thinking about real amps as reference then there are some pretty great sounds to be found in it.

I think I’m gonna leave my Axe FX in storage a little while longer and explore this more

I think you’re right. If I try to look at it as traditional modeling in the sense of “this model = this real amp” it’s pretty terrible.

In fact the “models” named after real amps are usually the worst sounds (I’m looking at you Rectifier)

But if I look at it from a different perspective without thinking about real amps as reference then there are some pretty great sounds to be found in it.

I think I’m gonna leave my Axe FX in storage a little while longer and explore this more
The Boss "Rectifier" is an absolute abomination. Comparing it to any of the FAS Rectifiers is just sad.

For the actual Rectifier sounds, one should probably be using the Juggernaut, it is much closer - loose and buzzy unboosted, tight and cutting boosted.
I also find Maximum to be one of the best Marshall sounding amps I've tried in digital. It's not an actual JCM800, but it sounds amazing, tight, punchy and is fairly easy to dial in. I mostly use it with sag all the way down, and resonance at -5 or -8, as with those settings it does what no other brit flavored high gain amp sim can.
Unlike pretty much everyone else, I don't like the X-Modded as I can't unhear the comb filtering when it gets into high gain territory.
Gain switch is also very important, as mid or even low (with more gain added on the pot), can sound clearer, crunchier and more aggressive, so it gets you more flexibility.
Built in cabs can sound great, and I get the impression they feel a bit better than impulses (and any other modeler else out there). Especially the Original. Important thing is to re-dial an amp every time you make a change, as the tonal balance can vary a lot. Mic Mixes and Flat setting are a good starting point.
I've also been getting good results with Ownhammer summary mixes, again with amp dialed in to fit them.

I can get good sounds out of any modeler out there today, but I do feel like I would miss the GT-1000Core if I sold it, and would be tempted to buy it again for the Maximum and its specific thing it does.

I know lots don’t care about this stuff, but I do and I couldn’t find any examples too of how the models compare to their real amp counterparts.

Where’s the clips side by side with the amps they’re modelling at?

Back