PRS S2: Now with USA Pickups and Electronics

S2's are solid guitars. Hard thing is the price keeps creeping up. This is a good way to deal with that price creep.
A better way is to buy a used CU22 or CU24 in mint shape.

The CU24 I bought new in 2005 for 2 grand might sell for a maximum of $2500. Maybe. On a good day. It's mint with a natural top.

Why bother with an S2 with the plethora of used American made PRS guitars available? Doesn't make sense to me as most used PRS guitars are in near mint shape.
Because they don't feel like my S2. I went PRS shopping expecting to be blown away by an expensive core and wasn't.

Why bother with an S2 with the plethora of used American made PRS guitars available? Doesn't make sense to me as most used PRS guitars are in near mint shape.

S2s are American made, you may be thinking of the SEs

In which case I’d agree, used S2s are some of the best value used guitars on the market

Last edited:
A better way is to buy a used CU22 or CU24 in mint shape.

The CU24 I bought new in 2005 for 2 grand might sell for a maximum of $2500. Maybe. On a good day. It's mint with a natural top.

Problem is those guitars have increased by about $1,000 over the last decade. But it will be interesting to see if used guitar prices start dropping soon. They went way up over the last five years, but it seems like the market got flooded with supply. My local used gear shop has 3-4 times as many guitar as they did five years ago including some incredibly cool higher guitars.

S2s are American made, you may be thinking of the SEs

In which case I’d agree, used S2s are some of the best value used guitars on the market

Crazy thing is with the American pickups, it’s a $1500-2000 price difference just to have the carved top and core bridge.

I still think my CE24 was a great deal compared to core models. $1400 used plus $200 for a pair of Thornbuckers plus $200 for a Mann bridge.

I wish I had more cash a decade ago when mint used DGTs were popping up under $2k.

I could not disagree more.

I'd take my Korean made Santana SE over the S2 models.

To each their own, I’ve never tried an SE that’s excited me/made me want to own one. They feel like the oem mfg that built them with PRS looks imo. S2s are the real deal with a handful of cost cutting measures…

I like my S2s as much as I like more core :idk

I’m not quite sure what your original post was referencing then, sure you can find sweet cores for under $2k, but you’re far from getting pick of the litter. You’re never gonna find a core 594 for under $2k. Even buying a PRS used in the 2-3K range you don’t get to be -that
- choosey with what’s available on the market

Yes this . If they brought out a relic PRS it would just be missing the hang tag and have one sticker on the case for dentist monthly.
Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

Crazy thing is with the American pickups, it’s a $1500-2000 price difference just to have the carved top and core bridge.

I still think my CE24 was a great deal compared to core models. $1400 used plus $200 for a pair of Thornbuckers plus $200 for a Mann bridge.

I wish I had more cash a decade ago when mint used DGTs were popping up under $2k.
" core bridge."

I refuse to use PRS marketing terms like "core" and "pattern thin" etc.

To each their own, I’ve never tried an SE that’s excited me/made me want to own one. They feel like the oem mfg that built them with PRS looks imo. S2s are the real deal with a handful of cost cutting measures…

I like my S2s as much as I like more core :idk

I’m not quite sure what your original post was referencing then, sure you can find sweet cores for under $2k, but you’re far from getting pick of the litter. You’re never gonna find a core 594 for under $2k. Even buying a PRS used in the 2-3K range you don’t get to be -that
- choosey with what’s available on the market
"They feel like the oem mfg that built them with PRS looks imo."

Sorry, I own both an American PRS CU24 and Santana SE and I disagree completely. My SE is Korean made, I haven't played an Indonesian version. It's not very fancy but the Santana SE is a fine guitar, as is from the factory.

Apparently you are unaware of how good Korean made guitars can be. Japan realized long ago. I have no desire to buy an American made Santana for 5 grand. I'd feel like an idiot if I did.

"They feel like the oem mfg that built them with PRS looks imo."

Sorry, I own both an American PRS CU24 and Santana SE and I disagree completely. My SE is Korean made, I haven't played an Indonesian version. It's not very fancy but the Santana SE is a fine guitar, as is from the factory.

Apparently you are unaware of how good Korean made guitars can be. Japan realized long ago. I have no desire to buy an American made Santana for 5 grand. I'd feel like an idiot if I did.

I’ve owned a whole bunch of MIK WMI built instruments, I never said they were bad guitars

Back