Plexi vs DSL comparison

Cool👍
I’d give the DSL a slight edge from that snippet.
Thanks for sharing!

Nice! I think I prefer the Plexi, but the DSL is nothing to sneeze at. Could probably get it even closer with some surgical knob twisting :p

They're really really REALLY different from one another.
They're different but not that much, in my opinion . But you hear what you hear, so idk what to tell you. Everyone hears things differently and that's a good thing. Thanks for checking it out.

It depends on how you use them.

A DSL with the gain cranked and the master lowered is going to sound like it's in a different universe than the Plexi set low. But setup the DSL with minimal preamp gain, treble cranked, and master cranked, and suddenly the amps get a lot closer.

It depends on how you use them.

A DSL with the gain cranked and the master lowered is going to sound like it's in a different universe than the Plexi set low. But setup the DSL with minimal preamp gain, treble cranked, and master cranked, and suddenly the amps get a lot closer.
Correct. I am using Lead 1 with the gain set to 2.

And also with the EQ out of the way. I set my amp with the Presence on 2, Bass on 4, Mids on 2 and Treble on 1.5
The DSL EQ is what gives the DSL the modern character. Take it of the equation and it sounds like a proper Marshall.

Nuno's take on this:

This is the way with this amp. Try settings like that (give or take a few notches depending on your guitar, speakers etc) and it's classic Marshall all the way

They're really really REALLY different from one another.
Of course they are.
The DSL can sound a hell of a lot like the plexi, plus a lot more at 1/4 the price. They’re not even in the same universe.

All the plexi love screams “No! I liked my cars BEFORE power steering and heated seats so if I want to freeze my balls off and struggle to get out of my parking spot, you’re damn right I’m willing to pay 4x the amount of money to do it……”. But yea, a 68 Camaro sure is sexy as hell.

The best part of OP’s video isn’t the tone, it’s the camera bouncing around from being punished by those amps…like it’s tied to a chair and being tortured.

I’ve always been a defender of the DSLs. Maybe to be even more controversial…IMO the differences between single channel 800s, 4 hole Superleads (w/PPIV or good attenuation), and the DSLs is GREATLY overblown. Yes there are differences, but those differences are often more in feel than in actual perceived tone.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

The best part of OP’s video isn’t the tone, it’s the camera bouncing around from being punished by those amps…like it’s tied to a chair and being tortured.

I’ve always been a defender of the DSLs. Maybe to be even more controversial…IMO the differences between single channel 800s, 4 hole Superleads (w/PPIV or good attenuation), and the DSLs is GREATLY overblown. Yes there are differences, but those differences are often more in feel than in actual perceived tone.

Just my opinion, YMMV.
No you're absolutely right. I have all these amps and I agree 100% with this.

I remember when the JCM2000s came out. Those were peak “anything that’s not a Mesa or 5150 is for babies” days. Even as a proud Rev G Recto owner at the time, I remember the 2000 rattling my little under developed brain. It was sitting in a GC plugged into an orange 4x12 and it’s really the amp that red pilled me into challenging some of the notions I’d held around guitar amplification at the time.

Fast forward 20 years and Im proud to have a couple classic M circuits as part of my amp collection.

Can I go back to 2010 when I could get a DSL for $500?

Confused Harry Potter GIF

I sorta miss my DSL40 combo. Once I swapped the speaker, it was quite the killer little package. Wish I had hung on to it, if for nothing else but to practice without firing up the big boy rig. Those combos now are way too overpriced.

Back