One pissed off rebuilt Dual Recto!

The idea plugging directly into a DR and getting this tone out of it with nothing else involved makes me all kinds of somethin’. That’s like perfection.
As terrible as this sounds, one would be stuck with this and not able to go back.

GishakeLol! It makes the camera shake... Sounds killer though...
Shake is good.
Shake Shimmy GIF by Little Mix

As terrible as this sounds, one would be stuck with this and not able to go back.
Agree.
Does anyone really use a Recto without a boost? I personally think they sound like shit without one.
I use them without boosts loads, definitely less common for me to use a boost than go straight in. Boosts are needed to achieve a particular sound with them but it overlooks so much of what you can get from those amps. Plenty of solid high gain tones in there without a boost.

If this is your “ideal” recto sound then it means you don’t really like the rectifier sound.

Does anyone really use a Recto without a boost? I personally think they sound like shit without one.
I do every now and then. Also it really depends on which boost. I can't quite jive 100% with the classic tubescreamer into recto combo. Not enough low-end. I think an EQ pedal would be a better fit for me.

If Mesa was smart, they'd buy a few of these modded Rectos, take the best elements of each, and make their own hyper modern ultra tight monster high gain amp. They could even just call it the Rectifier Modded Edition or something. Knowing Gibson though, they'd demand the amp be named something cringy like the Recto MOLTEN SEARING edition or something ridiculous and awful like that lol.

The Recto's diamond plate front has always painted that amp into a corner. It can do so much more than that one specific boosted tone. The Multi-Watt in particular is absurdly versatile. There are like 8 modes in that amp and they all do something cool, yes even the Raw modes. They just all don't do the sound you associate with kick ass hell yeah manly man diamond plate metal so you never hear about them, because most people who buy Rectos are the people looking for that specific tone, because the amp has been marketed to specifically only that kind of player. Rectos are surprisingly dynamic high gain amps, too. Without a boost you actually have to play it pretty hard to get a decent amount of gain out of it.

It would be cool to mess around with a Recto modded like the one in the OP, but I don't think I'd mod one if I only had one Recto. Maybe if I had a 2nd Recto though.

Last edited:

In real world situations I don’t boost my roadster, unless my compressor that’s always on counts

A boost can take things further of course, but I find it plenty brutal and tight on its own

Back