New Friedman IR-X preamp

I didn’t realize you could extract the impulses to use in other devices. I may have to try them on the axe fx…
yup - and I think they are at 48kHz so you don't have to convert.

Have you tried 4 cable method with the fractal? when I've gone from output 2 from the fm3 into the freidman input and route back to input 2 it seems a bit noisy.
Very quite when guitar is straight into friedman and then into input 2 - but obviously I would like to utilise pedals in the fractal (tuner is quite useful as well)

IME the stock IRs sound like they have some cone cry in them, almost like the IRs were shot at a very high volume. There's a "distorted" sound to them which I can't hear in any other IRs. Please tell me I'm not the only one hearing this?

yup - and I think they are at 48kHz so you don't have to convert.

Have you tried 4 cable method with the fractal? when I've gone from output 2 from the fm3 into the freidman input and route back to input 2 it seems a bit noisy.
Very quite when guitar is straight into friedman and then into input 2 - but obviously I would like to utilise pedals in the fractal (tuner is quite useful as well)

Very low noise with the Fractal or with the HXFX. Just running standard 1/4 inch cables.

I extracted them and loaded into my Fractal but for some reason they all sound the exact same. Will try again.

IME the stock IRs sound like they have some cone cry in them, almost like the IRs were shot at a very high volume. There's a "distorted" sound to them which I can't hear in any other IRs. Please tell me I'm not the only one hearing this?

Not sure if they are distorted but they are noticeably bright and cutting in the upper mids. They seem to have some kind of EQ as well to roll off at least the high end a bit in the unit.

I had something similar over the weekend and think it may have been the IR-x plugged into my computer - once I took the cable out and then plugged back in it seemed to disappear. Not sure if that is the case for you.
Interesting, I haven't even plugged it into my computer yet. :idk

Not sure if they are distorted but they are noticeably bright and cutting in the upper mids. They seem to have some kind of EQ as well to roll off at least the high end a bit in the unit.
I find using channel 2 with the green IR and roll off the IR in the fractal to around 12KhZ - sounds great to me

may I ask you what settings or screenshot your audio out settings - I think my output 2 is set to unity gain etc

I'm running:

Guitar to Input 1 -> Output 3 -> Input 3 -> Output 1
All connections are 1/4 inch unbalanced

Input 3 set to left only (mono)
Output 1 set to stereo, +4 dB level, phase normal
Output 3 set to sum L+R, 0dB boost, phase normal, copy 1 off

Have you tried to ground lift switch?

Forgot to mention that I tried running the IR-X into the return of my Amp1 and through my regular cab - didn't sound great.
I used the balanced out (with IRs disabled of course), and that sounded a little better than using just the IR-X Send, but either method wasn't very good.

The IR-X Balanced Out into studio monitors / "FRFR" cabinet sounds much better, as expected really.

Here is ch 1 clean to plexi pushed to the point of destruction, sort of!

I didn’t watch or listen to this..
Let me guess, in this demonstration you
headed straight for the highway & busted out
some Tom Cochran??
-the Life is a Highway song guy,
-for those outta’ the loop.
I recognize you from playing the riff to
Little Dreamer in your last video and Smallbox
boosted presence video🎯
That riff requires a tricky speckle of grease..
-coupled with that fat bass guitar line buttering it up…
AND the AVH grease gun spewing that magical groove..
I appreciate your demostrations btw.
Cheers for YEARS man🤘🏻

I didn’t watch or listen to this..
Let me guess, in this demonstration you
headed straight for the highway & busted out
some Tom Cochran??
-the Life is a Highway song guy,
-for those outta’ the loop.
I recognize you from playing the riff to
Little Dreamer in your last video and Smallbox
boosted presence video🎯
That riff requires a tricky speckle of grease..
-coupled with that fat bass guitar line buttering it up…
AND the AVH grease gun spewing that magical groove..
I appreciate your demostrations btw.
Cheers for YEARS man🤘🏻
I actually did not do any of those riffs. I get your humor and know I repeat a lot of riffs but hey it's in my DNA and I really don't feel like doing anything from our setlist. :crazy This vid is clean to mean and showing the routing of 2 loops which is HUGE and I'm very thankful to my good buddy Patrick who shoed me how to route it this way :beer Just paying it forward!

I'm running:

Guitar to Input 1 -> Output 3 -> Input 3 -> Output 1
All connections are 1/4 inch unbalanced

Input 3 set to left only (mono)
Output 1 set to stereo, +4 dB level, phase normal
Output 3 set to sum L+R, 0dB boost, phase normal, copy 1 off

Have you tried to ground lift switch?
Looks like I've sorted - I set the output 2 to unity gain and the boost/pad to 18 and now it is just as quiet as if my guitar was direct into the Friedman.
Sounds glorious just pushing the output 2 into the front end of the friedman

Yesterday I started listing my extra stuff for sale, like the Boss GT-1000. Plugged in the Kemper for the first time in weeks and was digging it. Then over to the Axe FX 3 and noticed how much brighter it was. Back and forth and the Kemper sounded muffled and the Fractal too bright. Then went into the rabbit hole of IR's and dyna cabs to try and find a middle ground.

An hour ago I plugged the Friedman IR-X back in, went to a stock IR, and boom it sounds great. Feels great. Don't feel like it's too bright or dark and I need to compare against anything.

That's the beauty of this device. It can be a plate cleanser, or a reference. Or just plain be a guitar amp that doesn't have a physical cab.

I've tried the Friedman IR-X with every combination of my fm3 and I think it is a really well thought out piece of gear with 2 really great sounds. I think overall it sounds more open than the Fractal and I'm playing more.

It sounds great just the guitar going into it and the balanced out into the return of the FM3.

I've tried just the preamp but using the FM3 Tube Pre model and the power amp settings from say the Friedman and that sounds great as well. I really wanted to try that as I am interested in the Synergy system but didn't know how it would pair.

Using the FM3 pre models into the power amp sounds great as well.

It is only where I use full 4 cable method where I get a bit of tone suckage so I prefer the guitar straight into the Friedman.

Back